What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

Talking with my friends and the idea of seeing them very soon made me very happy. And the idea of moving to a new place makes me happy too. Some places are just too confusing to be in. Well it's not the place really. It's some of the people. Asheville used to be very laid back, people spoke to you when you spoke to them, so conversing was actually something which was cherished. I guess modern city life and the gang styles have finally caught up with it.

Something I'm very sad to see.

Never put yourself in someones shoes unless your actually willing to walk a very long journey.

Talking with my friends and the idea of seeing them very soon made me very happy. And the idea of moving to a new place makes me happy too. Some places are just too confusing to be in. Well it's not the place really. It's some of the people. Asheville used to be very laid back, people spoke to you when you spoke to them, so conversing was actually something which was cherished. I guess modern city life and the gang styles have finally caught up with it.

Something I'm very sad to see.

Never put yourself in someones shoes unless your actually willing to walk a very long journey.

Funnily enough, I know exactly what you mean! I'm from California, right, so I'm one of those anti-social city slicker jerks you're talking about, and I visited Asheville last year myself (along with the rest of NC, as well as Tennessee and Virginia). I expected it to be about like what you expected it to be like - friendly, laid back, etc., like most of the other places I visited. Instead, it was like...well, Berkeley! I was like, did I drive in the wrong direction? I thought I was in the South, but here I am in some kind of alternate universe populated with hippies who make jewelry and pottery and "live off the land" because they're already independently wealthy and can afford to make artisanal cheese. W..T..F?

Since then, I've talked to a bunch (and I mean a bunch...it's eerie) of people that have said, "Oh yeah, I have friends that moved to Asheville..." Apparently, the cool thing to do right now for wealthy, retired Californians is to move to Asheville and live in a cute craftsman bungalow out in the hills so they can concentrate on their "art." So if you're weirded out by people who won't talk to you, part of the problem is because they're from here. Sorry. I don't know what's wrong with us, seriously. I guess the city life got to us first, and now we're infecting you with the same attitude, even though it's what we're trying to get away from. I hope I didn't act like that when I was there, ugh. But anyway, just so you know, it's not just you...Asheville is definitely confusing.

^ Asheville (the downtown area in particular) was to me a very small version of a big city "downtown". I found the people to be like what i encounter everyday (a mix of personalites). The outskirts of the city were nice (the mountains and tourist areas). I have yet to visit, but i think a place like St. Augustine, Florida is what i'm looking for.

Okay, so this made me feel ecstatic! My daughter started spelling words (out loud) yesterday. We are in a restaurant and she is spelling the menu items! Then she looks up at the EXIT sign and spells the letters and says the word! It's so great to watch a four year old learn! It's even better to see how happy it makes her when i get excited over it!

Funnily enough, I know exactly what you mean! I'm from California, right, so I'm one of those anti-social city slicker jerks you're talking about, and I visited Asheville last year myself (along with the rest of NC, as well as Tennessee and Virginia). I expected it to be about like what you expected it to be like - friendly, laid back, etc., like most of the other places I visited. Instead, it was like...well, Berkeley! I was like, did I drive in the wrong direction? I thought I was in the South, but here I am in some kind of alternate universe populated with hippies who make jewelry and pottery and "live off the land" because they're already independently wealthy and can afford to make artisanal cheese. W..T..F?

Since then, I've talked to a bunch (and I mean a bunch...it's eerie) of people that have said, "Oh yeah, I have friends that moved to Asheville..." Apparently, the cool thing to do right now for wealthy, retired Californians is to move to Asheville and live in a cute craftsman bungalow out in the hills so they can concentrate on their "art." So if you're weirded out by people who won't talk to you, part of the problem is because they're from here. Sorry. I don't know what's wrong with us, seriously. I guess the city life got to us first, and now we're infecting you with the same attitude, even though it's what we're trying to get away from. I hope I didn't act like that when I was there, ugh. But anyway, just so you know, it's not just you...Asheville is definitely confusing.

Well,

Little do some of these twits know I've been all over the world and lived in several different countries. Not saying I should be higher up the totem than anyone else. But let's say for example I had something I could share with them, a story perhaps. How do I open?

1. Got any drugs?

2. How did you manage to legalize hookers. I bet the cops get paid well on that one.

3. Why have all the homeless decided to be here rather than Vegas where they could collect 300+ daily (that's no lie, I know someone who dresses down and makes a living at it, be wary of that dude who's not clean shaven)

4. Where do I buy a free range chicken. Fuck the eggs the chicken came first..........it's still roaming nutter.

++

Here's a real good one. Asheville University PD actually throws Taxi Cabs off campus and tells them they are not allowed to operate cabs on campus property. You have to have trainers, or be a huge lesbian riding a dog :) TRUE STORY. I have a complete article on their mishaps, but I think The Citizen Times or CNN gets it first ;)

Now for dos and donts

Do be nice to people who are nice to you.

Dont be nice to people who treat you badly, they will go on fucking you up as long as you let them.

++

California here I come wooooooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooo. Again Rob thanks for the good vibes on me......DZL stay well. Tangelo//////thanks.

Edit: UNCA is the only campus I've ever seen who does not welcome people in. This includes schools in London, Wales, Cleveland, Akron, Spartanburg, Greenville, University South Carolina Columbia. Miami State. Probably been to others but my brain needs coffee. Oh well, my word to get a better place to attend...

Thanks again for the California news. Your on my list for a visit.

Edited by Mary Hartman

Having the weekend off, having a short week coming up (only working two days!). Watching my daughter practice for her upcoming ballet recital (she's good!)

I hope your daughter is having fun in ballet! :) Enjoy your short week too, that would be so nice!

I hope your daughter is having fun in ballet! :) Enjoy your short week too, that would be so nice!

Thank you, Virginia! You know the joy i speak of :) I am very excited to watch her perform at her recital! I know what you will be doing that day :)

and any short work week is nice!

My mum took me shopping today and I got an easter dress, leggings to match and shoes to match. I also got a belt and flip flops. Oh and at Jo Ann Fabrics I got Fimo clays and made my own beads to make hemp necklaces with! They look really cool.

Watching The Sound of Music :) I think Captain Von Trapp belongs on the Beautiful Men thread... B)

My wife agrees with you,Virginia.Even better with age,she wants to add.One of her "favorite things?"