Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones to give rare interview on 'Letterman'

sam_webmaster

I wasn't expecting much either Slave. That said, I seriously doubt that any of us who weren't thrilled by Daves approach, were expecting an in depth interview. For my part, I just found Dave to be a little on the bitchy side. Yes, it was great to see the guy's on TV and yes, they were promoting Celebration Day but, the 4 people involved in that interview had also just been honoured by the Kennedy Centre, a significant honour BTW, so with that in mind, I guess I was expecting Dave to be a little more gracious towards his guests than he was.

Super Fan...over and out :superman::lol:

oh, i knew it wouldn't be in - depth, and why should it be? you can't really get too in - depth with only a few minutes and a commercial break in there as well!

that's all i have been meaning, too! why couldn't he have had more um... manners ( probably the wrong word ), towards Bonham and not speak like he knew anything about them ( even if he actually did, which i doubt ).

i'm a tad over this discussion .

WOW! Just read through some of the past 10 pages or so, since the night before the appearance....:blink:

fdm12, you're the best! I LOVE your posts, as you already know! :beer:

Watched the appearance on Tuesday evening, off the dvr recording. When they walked out together, the hair on my arms just stood up - couldn't believe it was the three of them together on stage once again. They were brilliant - thoroughly enjoyed the entire show. Hope they enjoyed all of their time together over the past couple of months, because I sure have! What a ride it has been!!! THANK YOU Page, Plant and Jones for the wonderful gifts you have given us this fall - oh yeah, gotta watch the rehearsal again tonight as it's the 5 year anniversary - to the actual day!!!!!

:peace:

If people don't like Letterman fine, but to accuse him of being disrespectful, missing an opportunity, & screwing up the interview is another, he did EXACTLY what he always does & if the band had a problem with it they wouldn't have been there. Plant has been a repeat guest, he once caused controversy by a hand gesture he made during an interview with Letterman in regards to Coverdale/Page. Letterman did not miss any of his opportunity's, in fact I'm sure he is quite content with his choices as his choices are not those who hate him choice's. I mean get over it. Rolling Stone has done nothing but kiss Zeppelin's collective ass since 1988 & yet a segment of superfans still can't let the 70's go... some who weren't even born yet & never knew the reviews first hand yet regurgitate the "Rolling Stone hates Zeppelin" nonsense. If one has a personal bias against Letterman or RS again fine but don't distort things for your own bias, I say that as someone who doesn't care for RS & it has nothing to do with Zeppelin. In a few weeks I will suffer watching Kid Rock perform a Zeppelin song, I have not seen or heard it but I'm pretty sure I'll loathe it, but I will not accuse him of "disrespecting" Zeppelin with his style, no I'll recognize he was graciously honoring them as was Letterman even though it's not my cup of tea.

you are sounding a bit superfanish there ..... lol :wave:

WOW! Just read through some of the past 10 pages or so, since the night before the appearance.... :blink:

Watched the appearance on Tuesday evening, off the dvr recording. When they walked out together, the hair on my arms just stood up - couldn't believe it was the three of them together on stage once again. They were brilliant - thoroughly enjoyed the entire show. Hope they enjoyed all of their time together over the past couple of months, because I sure have! What a ride it has been!!! THANK YOU Page, Plant and Jones for the wonderful gifts you have given us this fall - oh yeah, gotta watch the rehearsal again tonight as it's the 5 year anniversary - to the actual day!!!!!

:goodpost:

I totally understand people being upset about the drummer comment, but I honestly think it could be a matter of him stumbling over things due to the nature of the subject matter. Anyone who listened should have also picked up on the fact that he said John Bonham in another comment just a few minutes later so he obviously knew the man's name. It was unfortunate that it came out the way it did but I don't believe there was any malice intended.

As far as body language reading, the most I got from it was they seemed to be enjoying themselves in spite of the fact the chairs were way too low for both Robert and Jimmy. It was a fantastic display for Robert's boots however, since he was constantly shifting around trying to get comfortable. It was a big weekend for all of them and I think they were strategic in who they chose for the interview. For a more in depth questioning, I'm looking at the Charlie Rose interview. I think this was just intended to be a fun interview because they had all been honored the night before and it was a convenient way to discuss the awards and give the fans a little thrill. I'm sorry that people were disappointed that they didn't do a song on the show, but considering we saw stories of Robert in Washington and surrounding areas with family for a few days before the ceremony and Jimmy flew in I believe the day before and I'm not even sure when John Paul and Maureen flew over...when exactly during the craze of a very scheduled weekend of events were they going to practice? I can only imagine what would have been said if they just jumped up there and tried to do something completely unrehearsed...

Maybe Letterman was just in need of some rest after the eventful weekend; heck, he might have been partying with Plant, Page & Jones until the wee hours for all I know. He messed up with the following guest too, repeatedly calling Krasinski's (sp?) new movie Graceland instead of Promised Land. I've noticed that this is part of his style of humor, to repeat something when he knows he said the wrong thing. A form of covering up his embarrassment perhaps?

But where was the Top Ten list? Did I miss that? I was so hoping they would have John Paul Jones reading Top Ten Reasons Why Led Zeppelin Will Not Be Reuniting. lol

And the body language that will remain with me for a long, long time is the twinkle in Robert Plant's eyes when Dave said "you all have a different meaning of matinee over there, don't you?" :yesnod: Thanks to the person above who explained the English definition.

I thought it was a great show and can't wait for the Charlie Rose interview.

WOW! Just read through some of the past 10 pages or so, since the night before the appearance.... :blink:

I agree with you 100%. Well put.

;)

I have to say I'm just so dissapointed in all of them. Such an outpouring of love and affection for this band, not to mention the accolades, awards, medals, movie premieres all of this stuff, couldn't they have found it in themselves to play just ONE song together? I mean Paul Shaffers band are KILLER they could've prepared Rock n Roll or whatever and they couldve done something truly special.

I love them so dearly but I am truly dissapointed at yet another lost opportunity.

I have to say I'm just so dissapointed in all of them. Such an outpouring of love and affection for this band, not to mention the accolades, awards, medals, movie premieres all of this stuff, couldn't they have found it in themselves to play just ONE song together? I mean Paul Shaffers band are KILLER they could've prepared Rock n Roll or whatever and they couldve done something truly special.

I love them so dearly but I am truly dissapointed at yet another lost opportunity.

I was thinking the same thing when I watched it too.

sorry, i didn't say you were directing that at me. i was just stating that i wasn't that kind of fan ( stalkerish ), and that i didn't like you saying that about us on the other side of this discussion.

I GET that Letterman uses this style and always has. my gripe is the dead drummer bit, and not even knowing about the 02 concert or dvd.

again, I am thrilled to see them so happy together

:peace::)

You did quote me thus singling myself out where I did not you so... do the math, it's the conclusion I would draw. Regardless, no worries as I didn't & still don't consider you in the nutjob pile.

you are sounding a bit superfanish there ..... lol :wave:

Lol. By the examples I've given I wouldn't consider myself superfanish but they are my favorite band as I imagine most here consider Zeppelin to be theirs as well BUT I for the life of me cannot understand the obsessive nitpicking over trivial BS when at this time it is the greatest time to be a Zeppelin fan since John Bonham was still alive. They are giving us the proper goodbye that we didn't get that sad day 32 years ago so I can't get behind this persnickety negativity that in the end is much ado about nothing of consequence, so if the term "superfan" is turned against me in that context... guilty as charged.

You did quote me thus singling myself out where I did not you so... do the math, it's the conclusion I would draw. Regardless, no worries as I didn't & still don't consider you in the nutjob pile.

yes, i quoted you, but just to let you know that i didn't like your implying that i was in that category. no probs here either. :peace::thumbsup:

Lol. By the examples I've given I wouldn't consider myself superfanish but they are my favorite band as I imagine most here consider Zeppelin to be theirs as well BUT I for the life of me cannot understand the obsessive nitpicking over trivial BS when at this time it is the greatest time to be a Zeppelin fan since John Bonham was still alive. They are giving us the proper goodbye that we didn't get that sad day 32 years ago so I can't get behind this persnickety negativity that in the end is much ado about nothing of consequence, so if the term "superfan" is turned against me in that context... guilty as charged.

glad you got my dumb attempt at humour :D

did you really think they were going to play? after all it took to set up the 02 concert, and after all the things that have been explained about re-forming?

really? :wall::slapface:

With all due respect, it's not about being negative . It's about some of us thinking that Dave could have been better. Only an opinion, nothing more :peace: .

yes, i quoted you, but just to let you know that i didn't like your implying that i was in that category. no probs here either. :peace::thumbsup:

You weren't a part of the implication. You weren't chest beating what a fan you were/are & for how long you were/are while deriding those who weren't thus I didn't/don't put you in the category of "superfan".

Wow, I had no idea that there was all this pent-up hatred of David Letterman! :o

I'll say it again in case most of you missed my comment. I really don't think Letterman was prepared for them being so quiet. They are a private people, Jimmy, Robert and JPJ. Lettermans guests are usually more talkative and open. Now I don't watch the show that often and that's ok. But he was thrown off his game by how they reacted to Lettermans questions. Remember back in the past? Zep became reclusive because of the press and bad interviews (especially Rolling Stone).

Jeff

You weren't a part of the implication. You weren't chest beating what a fan you were/are & for how long you were/are while deriding those who weren't thus I didn't/don't put you in the category of "superfan".

i know, i get it now. thanks so much for the clarification. all good here. cheers. :)

I'll say it again in case most of you missed my comment. I really don't think Letterman was prepared for them being so quiet. They are a private people, Jimmy, Robert and JPJ. Lettermans guests are usually more talkative and open. Now I don't watch the show that often and that's ok. But he was thrown off his game by how they reacted to Lettermans questions. Remember back in the past? Zep became reclusive because of the press and bad interviews (especially Rolling Stone).

Jeff

that is a good point!

That's so nice, Walter, thanks! I was trying to head off all the repetition without succumbing to it myself. But in the end, it wore me down!

bth_x5tgro_th-1.jpg

Defining a SUPERFAN. One that has his ticket stub 35 years later. One that has it written in his will that Stairway be played at his funeral, and only the Led Zeppelin version on CD. And one that has bought the entire collection many times over on each technological advanced device that comes along. One that is willing to take numerous hits on a website regarless of the humiliation of being a multi banned exile. One that is simply a SUPERFAN LIKE ME!!!!!

:lol:

Now run along now and play!

bth_clint.jpg

Archived