Robert Plant Interview on Australian 60 Minutes This Sunday

Reggie29

I don't know who she is. Is she always that giggly? Or was she just smitten with Robert? Terrible interview, in terms of depth, but still nice to see him. He seemed happy and willing to put up with the silly questions.

she's one of the regular 60 minutes reporters here. she's not a good interviewer inho.

Mh, I'm absolutely underwhelmed by the interview. I really really respect Robert and he was wonderful with her, considering how pointless her questions were. But this is nothing but a re-hash of the Zeppelin history. Wasn't this supposed to be about his upcoming tour in Australia? Instead of that she had the audacity to ask him about groupies and stuff in front of his daughter. How disrespectful is that please?

And that 2014 comment. Don't people realize that he was joking?? No way in a million years will he do any such thing. I at least hope so..I just don't get why people won't just leave him alone and take everything he says with a pinch of salt.if he talks seriously one will notice, like in that bit with Karac. When he made that 2014 comment he did it light-heartedly, not realizing at that moment what hell would break loose.

You know, I'm not an interviewer so I can dribble over him as much as I like and be jealous when he kissed that woman's hand, but she was absolutely unprofessional. Get a grip girl! Goodness me. You shoulda put more effort into researching some facts about his upcoming tour instead of bringing up every single bit of dirty laundry.

P.S.: He's 64!!! you coulda at least researched his date of birth correctly..

agreed. except i do think he was trying to get across that, hey, i'm not the one to blame - there are 3 in this - i'm open to doing NEW stuff .....

Mh, I'm absolutely underwhelmed by the interview. I really really respect Robert and he was wonderful with her, considering how pointless her questions were. But this is nothing but a re-hash of the Zeppelin history. Wasn't this supposed to be about his upcoming tour in Australia? Instead of that she had the audacity to ask him about groupies and stuff in front of his daughter. How disrespectful is that please?

And that 2014 comment. Don't people realize that he was joking?? No way in a million years will he do any such thing. I at least hope so..I just don't get why people won't just leave him alone and take everything he says with a pinch of salt.if he talks seriously one will notice, like in that bit with Karac. When he made that 2014 comment he did it light-heartedly, not realizing at that moment what hell would break loose.

You know, I'm not an interviewer so I can dribble over him as much as I like and be jealous when he kissed that woman's hand, but she was absolutely unprofessional. Get a grip girl! Goodness me. You shoulda put more effort into researching some facts about his upcoming tour instead of bringing up every single bit of dirty laundry.

P.S.: He's 64!!! you coulda at least researched his date of birth correctly..

Couldn't agree more.

I don't get all the vile toward the press at all, especially this interview and the timing of it. Coming off the Celebration Day release, did you people actually think you'd get 16 minutes of Robert's new project, and on a 60 minutes piece at that? :rolleyes:

Curious, what kind of FRESH questions do you ask a guy like Plant at this stage of his career who's been asked pretty much everything that needs to be asked and will hold up well in a 16 minute piece on 60 minutes? Zeppelin is going to be broached, that's the reality and the only thing fresh is to go you know where; that's always going to be the interviewers challenge.

I don't get all the vile toward the press at all, especially this interview and the timing of it. Coming off the Celebration Day release, did you people actually think you'd get 16 minutes of Robert's new project, and on a 60 minutes piece at that? :rolleyes:

Curious, what kind of FRESH questions do you ask a guy like Plant at this stage of his career who's been asked pretty much everything that needs to be asked and will hold up well in a 16 minute piece on 60 minutes? Zeppelin is going to be broached, that's the reality and the only thing fresh is to go you know where; that's always going to be the interviewers challenge.

Well first of all, I would have liked to know if there will be a new Band of Joy release, a Sensational Space Shifters release or both? And if so, when? I've heard various reports on new music, but nothing from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I'm not interested in a Zeppelin reunion, I don't think it is ever going to happen, so it just gets old hearing the same question in every interview. He was shining her on. So my next question would be, what are your plans for the future, aside from the mythical Zeppelin reunion? He seems to be such a restless person, is he really going to chill for a while or does he have another project up his sleve? These aren't deep questions, just something I think most of his fans would want to know.

Well first of all, I would have liked to know if there will be a new Band of Joy release, a Sensational Space Shifters release or both? And if so, when? I've heard various reports on new music, but nothing from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I'm not interested in a Zeppelin reunion, I don't think it is ever going to happen, so it just gets old hearing the same question in every interview. He was shining her on. So my next question would be, what are your plans for the future, aside from the mythical Zeppelin reunion? He seems to be such a restless person, is he really going to chill for a while or does he have another project up his sleve? These aren't deep questions, just something I think most of his fans would want to know.

Fair enough, this would have been a fantastic question to ask. For what it's worth, the Australian tour shouldn't have been just a throw in at the end, maybe one question at least! :D

Fair enough, this would have been a fantastic question to ask. For what it's worth, the Australian tour shouldn't have been just a throw in at the end, maybe one question at least! :D

That's the part I find the most ridiculous. He did an interview for 60 minutes in Australia...you know, the country he's touring next month, and yet she didn't think it would be of interest to the Australian people that he was going to be there? Or, whatever was discussed was considered unimportant by the editors of the piece so left out completely???Based on the fact that you saw him in the studio, driving around with her and outside the hotel, she spent a considerable amount of time with him during that day. I for one would have assumed she would find more to do than to ask him about who he took to bed with him while his daughter and grandchild were in the room.

I think the 2014 bit, and ask the capricorns ( I'm a capricorn too :-)) means something. he wouldn't say it otherwise.

I agree!

Plant doesn't joke about reunions...and "The band also entered talks for a streaming music deal last month."

It's gonna happen.

Yikes. People need to relax a bit.

Sure it would have been nice to see a question or two about current projects (and his tour), but let's be honest here. They are catering to a generic audience (for the most part), many of whom are still basking in the light of the boys being honored at the KCH and the whole Led Zeppelin mystique. Of course it's only natural that the editors (or powers that be at the studios) would edit the interview to focus mostly on the Led Zep stuff. For all we know, she might have asked a bunch of questions about his current band (she was in the freakin' studio for crying out loud) and it was cut out.

Calling her names or considering her a useless journalist is a little too harsh methinks.

And like I mentioned earlier, if I wanted someone to go more in-depth, I'd leave it to the veteran interviewers to do a much better job. Stuff like this is not worth frothing at the mouth over.

It was a fun interview, we get to see Robert being his cheeky self and everyone goes home happy (mostly).

If there is a chance Mr. Plant was even half serious, there are still issues that would have to be agreed upon. My guess is that a current iteration of Zeppelin would somehow have to wring something new from the effort for Plant to ultimately participate. There would probably have to be some significant ego repression, probably mostly by Jimmy and JPJ, and the result would likely not be what we expect. Could I see a small Zeppelin tour with some new, probably acoustic, laid back material, maybe. I'd expect a few reworked classics with some strings or world music type backing, but little to no hard rock or hard electric blues numbers. In short, it would probably have to bear a strong resemblance to what Mr. Plant has taken to with the BoJ or the SSS. I'd be beyond shocked if there is ever again a true Zeppelin gig like the O2. Even so, who are we all kidding, some of us, maybe most, would sell a kidney to a harvester with no anesthesia and unsterilized instruments to see them, even if it is just a one hour all acoustic strum along with ukeleles and banjos. Unfortunately, the world still needs more Led Zeppelin, not less, so little quotes like this will be dissected ad nauseum until a definitive statement is made. Just to be safe, I'm going to stand in line at the local ticket master (do brick and mortar ticket masters even exist anymore?) until December 31, 2014.

As mentioned in the other thread, Jason Bonham had an interesting FB post last month:

"Flying home to FL today after a quick trip to LA . What I did hear will soon be know and worth the wait . Cheers JB"

Could be related or maybe its not. But with these 2 comments just a month apart, its not absurd to think something could be in the works.

That's the part I find the most ridiculous. He did an interview for 60 minutes in Australia...you know, the country he's touring next month, and yet she didn't think it would be of interest to the Australian people that he was going to be there? Or, whatever was discussed was considered unimportant by the editors of the piece so left out completely???Based on the fact that you saw him in the studio, driving around with her and outside the hotel, she spent a considerable amount of time with him during that day. I for one would have assumed she would find more to do than to ask him about who he took to bed with him while his daughter and grandchild were in the room.

i warned you all it was not gonna be very good. :(

I remember you warning us :sarcastic_hand:

And I love how I watched this interview Sunday afternoon, and right after I finished, Facebook was crazy going on about a Zep reunion, Monday all the news sources were reporting it, hell Tonight I was at work, and my local radio station was reporting it, 2014 Zep reunion, LOL

Curious, what kind of FRESH questions do you ask a guy like Plant at this stage of his career who's been asked pretty much everything that needs to be asked and will hold up well in a 16 minute piece on 60 minutes?

Q: You enjoyed great commercial success with T. Bone Burnett, but there were artistic differences with him in the end. In hindsight, do you

think you could or should have built more consensus on what to attempt before entering the studio for a second album with Alison Krauss?

Q: You've recently said you have two albums of Band of Joy material recorded. Do you intend to release those albums, and if so when?

Q: In what way is what you've got with Sensational Space Shifters different from what you didn't already have with Strange Sensation?

Q: What will it to take to convince you to drop Black Dog from the setlist?

Q: It's been over sixteen years since you performed in Japan and there are some open dates on your schedule. Any chance of a return?

Q: What was your first emotion when you realized it was Jason Bonham on the kit at the Kennedy Center?

...and so on...

As mentioned in the other thread, Jason Bonham had an interesting FB post last month: "Flying home to FL today after a quick trip to LA . What I did hear will soon be know and worth the wait . Cheers JB" Could be related or maybe its not. But with these 2 comments just a month apart, its not absurd to think something could be in the works.

It's JBLZE-related.

If you can't come up with FRESH questions 1) what is the point of the interview and 2) you're in the wrong job.

FRESH questions will cater to the TRUE fans and those who are definitely more interested in post-Zep Robert Plant.

And again, I will point out that these shows do not really try to cater to those TRUE fans who would love to know every itty bitty detail aka the kind of questions Steve Jones posted above.

To the casual fan or those who don't give two shits about the band or even know a damn thing about them...do you really think they care to know about the SSS??? This is all about the monster and mystique that is Led Zeppelin and that will always come first to the mainstream media.

So for those of you still hoping for these kind of shows to come up with fresh and intriguing questions, do not hold your breath.

If you can't come up with FRESH questions 1) what is the point of the interview and 2) you're in the wrong job.

Totally agree

FRESH questions will cater to the TRUE fans and those who are definitely more interested in post-Zep Robert Plant.

And again, I will point out that these shows do not really try to cater to those TRUE fans who would love to know every itty bitty detail aka the kind of questions Steve Jones posted above.

To the casual fan or those who don't give two shits about the band or even know a damn thing about them...do you really think they care to know about the SSS??? This is all about the monster and mystique that is Led Zeppelin and that will always come first to the mainstream media.

So for those of you still hoping for these kind of shows to come up with fresh and intriguing questions, do not hold your breath.

I really don't think it's that crazy to think that a ROBERT PLANT interview done for AUSTRALIA might include at least a question about the fact that ROBERT PLANT is playing in AUSTRALIA next month. As it was, "the casual fan" (which I'm reading as a person who was maybe interested in Led Zeppelin but has no interest at all in Robert Plant and therefore I don't know why they would have watched the interview in the first place or someone who has never even heard of Led Zeppelin but thought they would go ahead and watch an interview with an older Englishman because why not) would have no idea that he's even still alive apparently since nothing was mentioned past his Grammy wins and the 02 concert. Also, I guess that Australia only has casual fans and so in spite of this interview being promoted on Robert's facebook page, there was no thought whatsoever that anyone besides these casual fans might be watching? I'm not meaning to come off as harsh, I just think that this was a poorly done interview that had no substance and was a completely wasted opportunity. Of course, since we were warned that the interviewer was not someone we should have high hopes for, I suppose it turned out as expected.

You are pretty much reiterating my point *shrug*

Why would anyone really be having so much high hopes and expectations with such an interview? Yes, it is disappointing (and annoying) that more attention wasn't paid to his concert etc. etc. but that's mainstream media for you.

As long as they keep the mentality that "we are only getting this for ratings because it's Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin", you can save your hard-hitting questions for talk radio or more versed/knowledgeable journalists.

As long as they keep the mentality that "we are only getting this for ratings because it's Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin", you can save your hard-hitting questions for talk radio or more versed/knowledgeable journalists.

I don't buy that for a second; just look at all of the great "no Led anything" interviews he gave within the first five years of launching his solo career. There was an intensity and a conviction in what he was trying to get across to casual and faithful fans alike. The 60 minutes interview

could have been a showcase for Robert Plant & SSS (and the upcoming tour) but neither he nor the interviewer provided any reason to care.

The Australian tour was mentioned in closing as an afterthought while Justin Adams sat there in silent anonymity.

The 2014 quip will be the bane of online forums for the remainder of this year and beyond. It's his perogative to have said it, but the far too many who assign significance to chair placement at press conference tables are making Led Zeppelin fan forums insufferable once again.

You're comparing the media of the early eighties (when most where relatively decent and hard hitting) to the way media covers such news today??? First of all, we're not generalizing ALL media here as there are definitely the good interviewers/journalists/shows in current circulation, but let's get real.

Turn on a majority of interviews today and you'll get so much fluff, you'll wonder why the heck you bothered watching in the first place.

My argument here isn't that I agree with what took place with that particular 60 Minutes show, but once I realized that it was going to be just another fluffy piece, one just has to shake the head and enjoy it for what it is. A fun interview. No more. No less.

It's a shame she couldn't do more and couldn't spotlight something he was currently involved in (or maybe the editors weren't interested and cut out those parts), but in today's ADD-induced information age, this is going to be about as good as we're going to get it.

I am still holding out hope that Charlie Rose will eventually convince them to sit their asses down for a more thorough in-depth brain-picking interview.

The 2014 quip will be the bane of online forums for the remainder of this year and beyond. It's his perogative to have said it, but the far too many who assign significance to chair placement at press conference tables are making Led Zeppelin fan forums insufferable once again.

+1

Archived