TEEN IDOLS: PICK YOUR POISON

Strider

Every generation has them...one generation's Justin Bieber is another's Davy Jones. So, just for fun, I thought I would pose a question: Who is your favourite musical teeny-bopper-pop princess-teen dream? If you were 10-13 years old again, which one would you pledge your undying love and allegiance to?

In the interest of space and demographics(there aren't too many 70-80 year olds on the forum), I'm limiting the candidates to post-1967. I'm also sure I have forgotten some British or German teen horror, so if I have forgotten one of your faves, I apologize.

And before anyone asks, I had very good reasons for not including Madonna or Lady Gaga.

The choices:

The Monkees

Bobby Sherman

David Cassidy

The Osmond Brothers

Jackson 5

Shaun Cassidy

KISS

Menudo

Debbie Gibson

Tiffany

New Kids on the Block

Backstreet Boys

98 Degrees

Hanson

Spice Girls

Brandy

Britney Spears

'N Sync

Jonas Brothers

Miley Cyrus

Katy Perry

One Direction

Justin Bieber

Since I am the OP, I'll begin. My answer would be The Monkees, with the Jackson 5 a close second. They had a little soul to them, and I can still play their records without feeling embarrassed.

Olivia Newton-John.

Not really a teen idol, she was played across the board on all formats of radio...top 40, adult contemporary, easy listening. Plus, aren't you a little young to remember ONJ? Her heyday was in the 70s before "Xanadu" pretty much killed her career. "Let's Get Physical" is the last hit I remember her having.

Not really a teen idol, she was played across the board on all formats of radio...top 40, adult contemporary, easy listening. Plus, aren't you a little young to remember ONJ? Her heyday was in the 70s before "Xanadu" pretty much killed her career. "Let's Get Physical" is the last hit I remember her having.

She was THE woman all the kids in my school wanted to be with when she played in Grease, hence the nomination.

Whats changed is I'd say that youngsters with disposable income have generally gotten younger and younger, alot of these really arent "teen idols" so much as "prepubescent idols" and thats naturally led to a drop in the quality of music involved.

I'm a woman ..... and greedy ...... so it's my prerogative to pick 2 ........ :o :o ;):P:lol: :lol:

So i'm chosing both NSYNC and The Monkees.

Which actually means I picked 8 ..... if you count the individual boys in both bands :bravo:

And for the record, Justin Timberlake still looks pretty damn fine in his suit and tie.

When I was like 8 or 9 I LOVED Hanson! I liked Taylor and I was in their fan club, MOE...I actually found my membership card the other day :lol:

And The Spice Girls of course! Me and my friends dresssed up as them once, but they made me be Posh :(

Strider you said you might have missed some British horror; well when I was like 12 or so I was all about A1 and Ben Adams really. Here they are :D Ben's the one with the dark hair that's all "Hey girl" at the beginning ^_^

http://youtu.be/Yn8BVdU2PAE

I was a pretty big fan of The Monkees' TV show for sure, if not their music as much.

More recently, as my 12 year-old daughter has made her way through the various stages, I have picked up on songs that are very catchy to me, if somewhat embarrassing to admit to liking - the afroementioned guilty pleasure songs.

3 that come to mind -

Miley Cyrus / Hannah Montana - If We Were A Movie

Jamie Lynn Spears - Follow Me (Zoey 101 Theme Song)

The Naked Brothers Band - Sometimes I'll Be There

When I was like 8 or 9 I LOVED Hanson! I liked Taylor and I was in their fan club, MOE...I actually found my membership card the other day :lol:

Oh, Taylor... he just got more attractive after his voice changed. :lol:

I admit to liking most of the entries on Strider's list, but Hanson and the Spice Girls were definitely my time. I still remember intense fights on the playground (think Sharks and Jets) between Hanson fans and Spice Girls fans. Being the people-pleaser I am, I pledged allegiance to both groups. :rolleyes:

And The Spice Girls of course! Me and my friends dresssed up as them once, but they made me be Posh :(

I always called dibs on Ginger. :D

Oh, Taylor... he just got more attractive after his voice changed. :lol:

I admit to liking most of the entries on Strider's list, but Hanson and the Spice Girls were definitely my time. I still remember intense fights on the playground (think Sharks and Jets) between Hanson fans and Spice Girls fans. Being the people-pleaser I am, I pledged allegiance to both groups. :rolleyes:

I always called dibs on Ginger. :D

Haha yeah he did! OMG when he turns around at about 2:35 in this...that killed me when I was younger! :P

http://youtu.be/q8OVgc-xXlI

Haha I wanted to be Ginger too! I was so sad when she left! :tears:

^ It's been FOREVER since I've heard that song/seen that video, thanks April! 9 to 12-year old me would have killed to have him look at me like that. :lol:

In my opinion, they've made (and continue to make) some proper enjoyable stuff post-Middle of Nowhere. (A more recent fave is Thinking 'Bout Somethin'.)

I can still remember the day Ginger's departure was announced - my family was on a road trip, and it was a cut-in announcement on news radio. My dad was incredulous that it would be considered urgent, breaking international news. :lol:

Re: The Jackson 5 - this video never fails to put a smile on my face. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baC3UNBODcs

I liked the Jackson 5ive as a little kid but my fandom wasn't such that I ever bought any of their records. As a teenager I was definitely way into Kiss though I can't say that I ever thought of them as "teen idols". At least in the sense of who made the cover of magazines such as Teen Beat and Tiger Beat, that was normally reserved for the likes of Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett and Peter Frampton. I'm not sure if Kiss ever made the cover or not, they seemed far too sinister for such a designation.

Are you kidding? Kiss were all over the teeny-bopper mags...Teen Beat, 16, etc. Especially after "Beth" came out. Practically every issue featured Kiss, Shaun Cassidy and the "Eight is Enough" boys on the cover in the late-70s.

That was the joke about Kiss...that anybody would consider them "sinister" in the first place. They were so prefab and contrived, nobody I knew took them seriously.

^ It's been FOREVER since I've heard that song/seen that video, thanks April! 9 to 12-year old me would have killed to have him look at me like that. :lol:

In my opinion, they've made (and continue to make) some proper enjoyable stuff post-Middle of Nowhere. (A more recent fave is Thinking 'Bout Somethin'.)

I can still remember the day Ginger's departure was announced - my family was on a road trip, and it was a cut-in announcement on news radio. My dad was incredulous that it would be considered urgent, breaking international news. :lol:

Re: The Jackson 5 - this video never fails to put a smile on my face. ^_^

You're welcome ^_^ I had never heard Thinking Bout Somthin' and I missed a whole album! :o What a fun song..and dance! ^_^

well i was 13 in 1975, and my wall was plastered with posters consisting of :

david essex

david cassidy

leif garrett

peter frampton

but also bands, such as :

deep purple

pink floyd

queen

ac/dc

status quo

and of course, led zeppelin

the centrepiece was a huge poster of robert :)

Archived