TEEN IDOLS: PICK YOUR POISON

Strider

Debbie Gibson would start my list, for many reasons. Now that was when I was a teeny bopper. Had I been a tween 10 or so years ago I would have had Hillary Duff posters filling my room I think. My musical tastes did not mature for another couple of years.

I admit though, like TypeO, some of my daughters music has caught on a bit. There are even a few that have sneaked their way onto my iPod. Ellie Goulding is one that has caught my attention for some reason.

To the contrary. I'm far from a Kiss fan these days, however I was when I was a kid. Kiss, as represented by Simmons and Stanley in 2013 is a shame. Especially how they have two members parading around in makeup made famous by Peter Criss and Ace Frehley and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Completely agree with you on this, THIS version of the re-re-rehash of Kiss is criminal.

Momentarily one can even buy a smashed guitar on their site for a ridiculous amount of money.

They became really greedy sons of bitches, this has NOTHING more to do with musicianship.

To the contrary. I'm far from a Kiss fan these days, however I was when I was a kid. Kiss, as represented by Simmons and Stanley in 2013 is a shame. Especially how they have two members parading around in makeup made famous by Peter Criss and Ace Frehley and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

BTW, I'm not your "son". Nor have I drank any Kool-Aid, I simply don't consider Kiss to be "teen idols", then or now. Did they attract a teen audience? Most certainly, but I don't think of think of them as teen idols like I would Bobby Sherman, Leif Garrett, Shaun Cassidy, the Partridge Family, etc. Those folks were largely of the flash in the pan variety who's stars faded very quickly. Kiss is still around, proving to me that there's far more to them than the "teen idol" status which you've assigned them.

Although I was hardly up to date on teen magazines, if I remember correctly, the teeny-bop appeal began with Beth, and picked up steam with the solo albums and the cartoon-character portrayal on album covers.

I agree they weren't exactly teeny-bop material in the beginning, but by '78 they seemed to be incorporating that angle into their image.

So it seems to be some of both of your views.

Just my recollection.

Are you kidding? Kiss were all over the teeny-bopper mags...Teen Beat, 16, etc. Especially after "Beth" came out. Practically every issue featured Kiss, Shaun Cassidy and the "Eight is Enough" boys on the cover in the late-70s.

That was the joke about Kiss...that anybody would consider them "sinister" in the first place. They were so prefab and contrived, nobody I knew took them seriously.

:pwnd:

LOL!

I don't know how anyone at anytime can look at those clowns and not see "teeny-bopper" all over them? KISS is like Power Rangers with guitars.

I'm a woman ..... and greedy ...... so it's my prerogative to pick 2 ........ :o :o ;):P:lol: :lol:

So i'm chosing both NSYNC and The Monkees.

Which actually means I picked 8 ..... if you count the individual boys in both bands :bravo:

And for the record, Justin Timberlake still looks pretty damn fine in his suit and tie.

I love Suit and Tie; it reminds me of the 80s; early Janet Jackson, Bobby Brown :) Smooth R&B :yesnod:

Of the choices listed I would pick the Jackson Five; I had several albums and listened to them a lot when I was in elementary school. But the posters on my wall when I was 11/12 were of Luke Skywalker ;)

The Debbie Gibson call was spot on for that time period!

My sister used to get Tiger Beat back in the late 70's and yes, KISS was on the cover.

Does the early version of The Beatles enter the discussion? I mean all those teenage girls chasing them, crying, passing out at their shows, etc.

Does the early version of The Beatles enter the discussion? I mean all those teenage girls chasing them, crying, passing out at their shows, etc.

Hmm. I suppose it's a valid point, as they were "teen idols". But I'm pretty sure this thread is more about bands who were just flashes in the pan and had no real musical substance. The Beatles were most certainly not a fad.

That was the joke about Kiss...that anybody would consider them "sinister" in the first place. They were so prefab and contrived, nobody I knew took them seriously.

Go sit in the corner!

:^)

I think this is more of a female thing, but there was a song here and there I liked from some of these,

Always, liked the Monkees. Were probably the first band and music I was introduced to and liked.

I did like the song "Tonight" by New Kids On The Block". Had that sort of Beatles feel to it. Not that it would ever happen, but for some here who idolized them back in your teen, this will show your age as they are now eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Amazing it's been over 25 years since their first album. All are in their mid 40's except the youngest Joe McIntyre.

Did like some of Hanson's material as well. They were above most of these teen idols as they wrote and played their own material. They're all married and have seven children between them. Average age over thirty now. All of them met their current wives on tour who were fans. Pretty odd! They're eligible for the HOF in eight years. How time flies. Wasn't MMM Bop just released? Can't believe this!

I think Hanson is a prime example of a band that could have forever been pigeonholed and damned to be short-lived by the "teen idol" tag. Instead, they went on to be embraced by the likes of Bob Weir and Taylor was a member of the power pop super group Tinted Windows that also included James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins), Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne) and Bun E. Carlos (Cheap Trick). Some, like Taylor Hanson, have been fortunate enough to escape the death knell of the teen idol designation by playing to their strengths. So many of the others haven't been as fortunate.

Well said...Agreed! :goodpost:

I can't say that I was ever a fan of Hanson, I just mentioned that they were embraced by Bob Weir (of the Grateful Dead) and that Taylor went on to front Tinted Windows. That said, "MMMBop" was definitely very catchy and seemed to be an ode of sorts to the bubblegum pop of bands like The Partridge Family.

That's why I added "Or don't mind them it seems"; wanted to make sure I didn't put words in your mouth! But still so happy to see them being mentioned more! :D They were massive for me way back when. :)

Yes! Love MMMBop :D

http://youtu.be/NHozn0YXAeE

Not really a teen idol, she was played across the board on all formats of radio...top 40, adult contemporary, easy listening. Plus, aren't you a little young to remember ONJ? Her heyday was in the 70s before "Xanadu" pretty much killed her career. "Let's Get Physical" is the last hit I remember her having.

I would consider Olivia Newton-John more of a "teen idol" than I would Kiss. I would like to point out that Kiss could also be considered "played" across the board: top 40, adult contemporary ("Beth"), disco ("I was made for loving you"), etc...

I think you messed up, (fu*cked) up your entire point by adding Kiss to the mix. You should have forsaken Kiss and added Madonna. Madonna was/is more "teen idol" to both male and females when she began to make it big in the 1980's.

As much as I love the music of Kiss (from the 1970's), I agree with a lot of other who also say that Kiss were no teen idols, regardless of how many magazine covers they were lucky to land.

To the person who started this topic, were Kiss ever on the cover of these "teen idol" magazine covers with Gene Simmons with a mouth full of fake blood?

I will have to agree with jahfin on his defense of Kiss.

well i was 13 in 1975, and my wall was plastered with posters consisting of :

david essex

david cassidy

leif garrett

peter frampton

but also bands, such as :

deep purple

pink floyd

queen

ac/dc

status quo

and of course, led zeppelin

the centrepiece was a huge poster of robert :)

i forgot rick springfield and davy jones.

used to watch them both on tv after school. also loved the partridge family show.

Thanks for the confirmation. However, I stand by the fact that their fanbase extended far beyond teens (male and female) and that their status as so-called "teen idols" (at least as far as being featured in Teen Beat, Tiger Beat, 16, etc.) was relatively short-lived.

Well I dressed up as Gene Simmons in 5th grade (1979) for Halloween in a pre-made costume. So if that doesn't prove they were being marketed to pre-teens, along with KISS dolls, etc. then I don't know what does. Obviously their fan base goes beyond that (past/present), but they were geared towards the 10-15 year fans in the 70's. "Christine Sixteen", enough said.

Archived