Showmanship

kingzoso

This topic is very speculative and obviously of my opinion. However, I really think that Jimmy Page was(/is) the best Rock and Roll Showman of All-Time. His Riffs, his Swagger, his Persona, his Stage clothing, his Bow solo, Theremin solo, etc...

I know that I am very biased in my opinion, so I would like to see/hear or read of anyone who thinks that I am correct or incorrect in my opinion. I also realize that there are other great "Showman/Showwomen" that are out there. Past or present.

Here is one example of why I think that Jimmy Page is the Best.

http://youtu.be/GyM6-QibDFM

Jimmy is my favorite rock personality, but for a complete showman, I'd have to give that honor to Freddie Mercury. No one...I mean NO ONE...could capture a crowd like Freddie could! R.I.P.

I feel the same way. Jimmy is great, but Freddie was just something else.

It`s interesting to watch how he played in 69 at the Royal Albert Hall and then to see how he grew over the years in terms of his stage presence-performance. He really had it going on.

By the time Knebworth rolls around and some of the 80 tour footage he seems to be a little more laid back but still adding to the over all show.

I thought he was perfect at the O2. I was really proud and happy for him to see how well he played and he still looked (and looks) like a cool guy up there.

As for other guitar players as performers, Hendrix of course, Jeff Beck, Allen Collins, Alex Lifeson, Joe Perry, Angus Young, SRV, and Dean DeLeo come to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

On top of playing incredible music, the way Zeppelin(Jimmy and Robert, anyway) looked/moved onstage really added a lot to their shows, I think anyways. I don't know if that sounds silly or what, but it really is true for me. I watched the whole lotta love 1997 promo video recently, and it really reminded me...man...what a cool looking band they were! They were an awesome band to watch, on top of listening to. You could watch SRTS with the volume down and it still entertains you! (well, me anyways :) )

Keith Richards from about 1968 to about 1978.

Not to downplay your suggestion of Keith Richards, but I think that Jimmy Page is/was and will always be considered a better "Showman" then Keith Richards. Same goes to the person who replied, Pete Townshend.

I agree ......... This Guy Had it all ....

The "Swagger" The "Look" Everything...

He was cool..... and He had Plant backing him UP! LOL!

He still has the same moves (Even if he is......old) You can tell today..... he never changed his SHOWMANSHIP!

I like Zep way more than I like the Stones, and I often find Mick Jagger's stage persona (and voice) annoying - but gotta give it to Jagger. He's an incredible showman, even if it's not my cup of tea.

Also agree with those citing Freddie Mercury - he might have been the best.

Bill Wyman. Cool as fuck.

I like Bill Wyman as a bass player but He retired from the Rolling Stones and Rock and Roll many years ago. As for selecting Bill Wyman as a Master Showman, I tend to disagree. He may have the great bass chops, however, I think that Mr. Wyman only stood in one spot and pretty much never deviated from his place/stance. I would go as far as to say that John Paul Jones even had a Greater stage "Presence" than Bill Wyman. Remember, this is just my Opinion.

Not to downplay your suggestion of Keith Richards, but I think that Jimmy Page is/was and will always be considered a better "Showman" then Keith Richards. Same goes to the person who replied, Pete Townshend.

Keith pulled it off by just going up there and doing what came naturally.

Keith pulled it off by just going up there and doing what came naturally.

Keef may have done what came naturally, which is to strum the lower neck of his Fender almost through all of his songs but could Keef ever do this?:

http://youtu.be/_k62vVO58Cc or this:

http://youtu.be/SZIaLEzZpP8

I know I may get Hell for this, but Keith Richards is a minor leaguer compared to Jimmy Page. I think this is the reason Keith has had a lot of resentment toward Led Zeppelin in various interviews he has given when regards to Led Zeppelin. As much as I Love the Stones, Jimmy Page was a better guitar player than Mick Taylor and Keith Richard combined.

Archived