The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

I read this topic because I want to know who has passed away (not that I want to know who passed and possibly pay Tribute to those who I admire and respect), but I truly believe that this constant nonesense bickering is a complete violation of this Awesome Forums protocol. 

Ir seems that those who keep bickering and continue to post paragraphs after paragraphs of such stupid shit should be given a harsh warning to STOP this now.  IT IS COMPLETELY POINTLESS AND IRRELEVANT.  

AM I WRONG?

Edited by kingzoso

18 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Jeeesh…..It's hot outside....get 'em in the ground already !!   Preachers giving me too moments on stage for the world to see....Some lady wearing a black helicopter on her head singing mumbly garbage.....arguing about past politics....except for the pink caddies on 7 Mile, I've had all I can stands !!

YES! All this pomp and circumstance for a person who while living stiffed a lot of people with UNPAID bills & taxes seems more than a bit ostentatious. 

50 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

YES! All this pomp and circumstance for a person who while living stiffed a lot of people with UNPAID bills & taxes seems more than a bit ostentatious. 

My point is more than half of Americans can't even afford to lay their loved ones out for even a day.  A day of viewing, the standard casket setup, gravesite, etc....will run you about $15,000.  If most of us can no longer afford it, why should the gov't be doing it without compromise with our money for days on end ?  Cut it back....reduce the show.  I don't even understand why a family would want to go through a public mourning for days on end.  Personally, I don't want to watch a 4 hour funeral any more than I want to watch someone's 600 lb. life or the trials of "The Little People".  At least there wasn't a week-long train ride across the country.  Like anyone cared what Rick Snyder had to say at Aretha's funeral.

I also find it mind-blowing that someone suffering from pancreatic cancer for years with the writing pretty much on the wall, would purposely die without a will.  You can take the time to plan and pick out 6 outfit changes for your funeral, yet you refused to make any legal arrangements to properly handle your assets and personal business for your family ?  Totally bizarre.      

12 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

My point is more than half of Americans can't even afford to lay their loved ones out for even a day.  A day of viewing, the standard casket setup, gravesite, etc....will run you about $15,000.  If most of us can no longer afford it, why should the gov't be doing it without compromise with our money for days on end ?  Cut it back....reduce the show.  I don't even understand why a family would want to go through a public mourning for days on end.  Personally, I don't want to watch a 4 hour funeral any more than I want to watch someone's 600 lb. life or the trials of "The Little People".  At least there wasn't a week-long train ride across the country.  Like anyone cared what Rick Snyder had to say at Aretha's funeral.

I also find it mind-blowing that someone suffering from pancreatic cancer for years with the writing pretty much on the wall, would purposely die without a will.  You can take the time to plan and pick out 6 outfit changes for your funeral, yet you refused to make any legal arrangements to properly handle your assets and personal business for your family ?  Totally bizarre.      

All valid points. Aretha was a mess financially, yet clearly wasn't concerned with cleaning it up prior to departure. I will say this, again, any parent who dies without a will is doing a disservice to their heirs, and their children in particular. It puts an estate squarely into the hands of the courts and the lawyers, who will get a larger piece of your pie than they otherwise would have.

Step one after my death: Cremate my ass (actually, my whole carcass), and flush ashes down nearest toilet or whatever (I am dead, I don't care).

Step Two: Have fun memorial service, party, get wacky, tab is on me (see step three).

Step Three: Open my will and prepare to be disappointed.

6 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

If most of us can no longer afford it, why should the gov't be doing it without compromise with our money for days on end ?

I'd rather have seen the military parade. 😎

On 9/1/2018 at 3:42 PM, Strider said:

R.I.P. former "ER" actress Vanessa Marquez. Sadly, another case of mental health unchecked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/style/wp/2018/08/31/former-er-actress-vanessa-marquez-fatally-shot-by-police-doing-wellness-check/

Clips from the career of actor Vanessa Marquez.
Seinfeld;Sweet 15;Father Hood; Locked Up: A Mother's Rage;Twenty Bucks; Melrose Place; Nurses; Stand and Deliver; State of Emergency:Wiseguy; ER

This was a sad way to go. Rest in peace.

On 9/1/2018 at 12:42 PM, Strider said:

R.I.P. former "ER" actress Vanessa Marquez. Sadly, another case of mental health unchecked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/style/wp/2018/08/31/former-er-actress-vanessa-marquez-fatally-shot-by-police-doing-wellness-check/

screw her. She set it up to have the police come out to help her and then at one point she pulls out a fake gun forcing the cop to shoot her.  so suicide by cop

hope she rots in hell.  all I can think of is the cop who was there to help her who now has to live with what she made him do

please dont post sappy bullshit in a thread reserved for honoring people who deserve to be honored. othwise post your charles manson RIP too strider

3 hours ago, kipper said:

screw her. She set it up to have the police come out to help her and then at one point she pulls out a fake gun forcing the cop to shoot her.  so suicide by cop

hope she rots in hell.  all I can think of is the cop who was there to help her who now has to live with what she made him do

please dont post sappy bullshit in a thread reserved for honoring people who deserve to be honored. othwise post your charles manson RIP too strider

You realize she was mentally ill, right?

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, kipper said:

please dont post sappy bullshit in a thread reserved for honoring people who deserve to be honored. othwise post your [ ] RIP too strider

I edited your quote. I won't bring that name down on my post and dishonor this RIP thread with that name. We can call him "Chuck". No disrespect.

She reported sexual and racial harassment, and blamed George Clooney for helping her get blacklisted. He denies.

She has gone downward and deeply troubled. Like Strider said - "unchecked". But you're exactly right. Whatever she couldn't bare to live with normally, she's free, but the cop that shot her now has to deal with a heavy heart. The cop didn't know.   

19 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

I edited your quote. I won't bring that name down on my post and dishonor this RIP thread with that name. We can call him "Chuck". No disrespect.

She reported sexual and racial harassment, and blamed George Clooney for helping her get blacklisted. He denies.

She has gone downward and deeply troubled. Like Strider said - "unchecked". But you're exactly right. Whatever she couldn't bare to live with normally, she's free, but the cop that shot her now has to deal with a heavy heart. The cop didn't know.   

that is what made me angry Apanther. Not just for the cop who was there trying to help her, but she lived in an apartment and the bullet could have gone through the wall.  She may have been unstable, but I think she was very selfish in how she did this.  How much does a rope cost if you have to kill yourself?

1 hour ago, kipper said:

I don't think she was so mentally ill that she didn't know what she was doing.

I too once thought that a lot of mentally ill people that do something like this or commit suicide should no better... should have a sense of what's right/wrong/acceptable. It wasn't until something like this stuck close to home that a counselor said to me that I couldn't understand because I was not mentally ill. Non mentally ill people do not understand situations like this unless they have experienced something either first of second hand. 

While I still think suicide is selfish and how cowardly this act was that Vanessa did when the cop was there to help, I now have some empathy for someone with mental illness and can understand that sometimes a mentally ill person cannot see beyond the tunnel vision approach they have taken to a particular situation and sometimes it is too late to take back the decisions that have been made.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

You don't get it, do you? Mentally ill people often do very irrational things. 

I know Steve, and I know I am being harsh. I deal will many mentally ill women at the shelter for battered women where I volunteer. women who have been beaten, raped, one was raped by her husband and his friends. Maybe I am being hard on her.

Gator. Smokey & the Bandit. Deliverance. Hustle. Longest Yard. Hooper. Sharkey's Machine. Boogie Nights. All favourites of mine and have watched tons of times...and will be watched this weekend. 

Rest in Peace, honoured son of Florida, Burt Reynolds. 

Edited by Strider
Because auto-correct changed my 'Burt' to 'But' for some stupid reason. Bastards.

23 minutes ago, Strider said:

Gator. Smokey & the Bandit. Deliverance. Hustle. Longest Yard. Hooper. Sharkey's Machine. Boogie Nights. All favourites of mine and have watched tons of times...and will be watched this weekend. 

Rest in Peace, honoured son of Florida, But Reynolds. 

Deliverance scared me so bad when I was a kid I was afraid to go camping and when I did I was afraid to be alone.

BTW Strider, is it a new thing to spell words the english way now? I see that on wikipedia . Are you from England?

Kind of bug me since the English didnt even trust us to know how to say "lead", so why pander to them?

Edited by kipper

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:52 PM, kingzoso said:

I read this topic because I want to know who has passed away (not that I want to know who passed and possibly pay Tribute to those who I admire and respect), but I truly believe that this constant nonesense bickering is a complete violation of this Awesome Forums protocol. 

Ir seems that those who keep bickering and continue to post paragraphs after paragraphs of such stupid shit should be given a harsh warning to STOP this now.  IT IS COMPLETELY POINTLESS AND IRRELEVANT.  

AM I WRONG?

Yes and no. It's not "completely" pointless. It helps some of us feel better. People grieve passing in different ways.

I thought it was monumental when Billy Graham passed away. IpMan had some things to say about America's pastor.

I defend his right to get out what he felt made him feel better about it. He made good points, and I learned a thing or two.

I still respect what Reverend Graham did, and he could have been much richer if he wished, but I respect many of the opinions and strong feelings of my brothers and sisters on this site (whether I agree or not), including yours, King.

Hasn't it made you feel somewhat better when you've gotten off your chest what you felt you needed to say as well? I know it does sometimes. C'mon! Admit it. :yesnod:  No one expects total perfection.

Some of us respect the legacies of those that passed away, and others have disdain for it, and that's okay too.

At the end of the day, I believe none of us wish harm to each other on this good forum. We just disagree and venting helps you, me and all.

Can you see it that way too, King? Much respect to you. Anyway, I didn't want your post to go ignored. You're a good guy, and it's a legit question.

4 hours ago, jabe said:

RIP, Burt.

1. Deliverance

I'll never forget his laugh. It's signature, jabe! Isn't it?

Edited by apantherfrommd