New Empress Valley soundboard release - 13 Feb 1975 Nassau NY (w/Ron Wood!)

Triplet Kick

Judging from my original post that started all this hoopla, drooling and hoohah, apart from the Limited Edition which is due out this month (I understand), there will be presumably more cheap editions put out in the coming weeks/months. No dates appear to have been given - if anyone can clarify please do.

Probably available by the end of the summer, I'll bet. Thanks in advance to those with the cash to spare in these dark economic times. Not unlike the 1970s - ha!

Or are you one of the people who sit there and salivate at the opportunity to download 'em online for free once some other poor schmuck has actually gone out and bought the thing and uploaded it?

-guilty coughing-

Well, let's see...clearly we are both opinionated mofos, Melcore...

...I do seem to inspire rants and ravings, don't I? :P

Have you ever stopped and wonder why that is, perhaps?

I've never purchased a "new" bootleg -- I don't have the money for that. (I'll come back to that issue.) Currently, though, my collection sits at...twenty-two releases, all EVSD, ranging from 2001's Intimidator to 2008's V1/2. (I've even shared one.)

That's about what I figured...

I don't really understand the meat of your argument against me...that seems to be the biggest problem here, really, a lack of communication/understanding: How come when I present my scenario (which might be wrong, sure) I'm the asshole who's forcing the issue; when I'm contradicted by you and your sole way, you're right?

Dude, I'm not saying either of us is right or wrong, but you seem to do this almost every fuckin' time somebody contradicts you on this site, not just with me in this discussion. Doesn't necessarily make you an asshole, either (like I said we're both opinionated), but you consistently do what you accuse me of doing- it's always gotta be yer sole way, Melcore, and you try and hammer it home until whoever yer arguing with at the time either gives in or blows up like I'm presently doing. If there is any issue with you in regard to communication, it's yer lack thereof skills wise. This is an online forum, not the goddamn high school debate club...

I think about the issue mostly from a monetary point-of-view: How many fans out there actually listen to the bootlegs? How many would be willing to pay (sometimes well) over $100 U.S.? The more factors you add to the equation, the smaller the number will become...and just by virtue of how long it takes for the recordings to be "leaked" online, and the relatively few amount of people who claim to buy boots...yeah, I'd say we're a fairly rare breed.

Still people out there that buy 'em, though, at whatever the price...I've said a kazillion times just how fucking spoiled we've become by the internet and the advent of downloading shows, etc...it's taken a lot of the fun right outta the hobby of collecting bootlegs, when ya get right down to it...and it's made a lotta people into handful of gimme motherfuckers with an overinflated sense of entitlement, it's this whole goddamn 'something for nothing' attitude that makes some people hoard their shit and what not, and that's not a good thing. Some people share previously uncirculated stuff on line gratis, but bootleg companies don't, hence why I always tell the sanctimonious, 'gimme gimme' anti-bootleg crowd that EVSd and whatnot are a necessary evil.

P.S. Presume nothing about me based on some bs I type on a forum.

Hey, we're all just faceless personas babbling on an internet site, I try not to take any of this shit personally and neither should anybody else...sometimes I think we all take some of this stuff a bit too goddamned seriously :lol: Personally, I think we should agree to disagree and call a truce, Melcore, the other lunatics here are probably getting sick and tired of our blathering back and forth on these matters. I apologize if it seems like I'm coming off too harsh on yer, it is fucking hot here in BC, our A/C is only working at about half power and I'm pissed off at just about everything that moves at the moment...

-guilty coughing-

I've told you before, Sue, you have nothing to feel guilty about...you always contribute to the forum in a positive way. When it comes to the discussions, you know what you don't know and don't go off half cocked blathering away like some fuckin' wannabe know it all, of which there seems to be many on this forum at times. You have my respect...so does Melcore for that matter, and so does just about everybody on this forum because even some of the obvious handful of gimme crowd and bullshit artists that preside here are mostly capable of making positive contributions one way or another. Like I said, we're just faceless members of an internet site, if ya start taking this shit seriously, ya got waaaaay too much fuckin' free time on yer hands!

(Jesus, folks...reading that back I reckon what I just said is a good nominee for "Most backhanded compliment of 2013" :lol: :lol:)

Still people out there that buy 'em, though, at whatever the price...I've said a kazillion times just how fucking spoiled we've become by the internet and the advent of downloading shows, etc...it's taken a lot of the fun right outta the hobby of collecting bootlegs, when ya get right down to it...and it's made a lotta people into handful of gimme motherfuckers with an overinflated sense of entitlement, it's this whole goddamn 'something for nothing' attitude that makes some people hoard their shit and what not, and that's not a good thing. Some people share previously uncirculated stuff on line gratis, but bootleg companies don't, hence why I always tell the sanctimonious, 'gimme gimme' anti-bootleg crowd that EVSd and whatnot are a necessary evil.

I'd tend to agree with that, I'm certainly in favour of as many people as possible getting to listen to these shows but bashing the bootleggers while at the same time listening to material that's surfaced though them strikes me as rather hypocritical.

I'd add that the kind of person that's likely to be in the possession of SB's(given that they were originally stolen from Page) isn't likely to be the kind of person to offer them to others even if there was suddenly no potential to make money from them. Really I'd say that EV today exists mostly to let collectors pool cash to ransom these SB's into the public domain(and back into Page's hands as well).

I'd tend to agree with that, I'm certainly in favour of as many people as possible getting to listen to these shows but bashing the bootleggers while at the same time listening to material that's surfaced though them strikes me as rather hypocritical.

I'd add that the kind of person that's likely to be in the possession of SB's(given that they were originally stolen from Page) isn't likely to be the kind of person to offer them to others even if there was suddenly no potential to make money from them. Really I'd say that EV today exists mostly to let collectors pool cash to ransom these SB's into the public domain(and back into Page's hands as well).

Exactly, it is hypocritical, these whingers need to immediately take every bootleg sourced recording they own and burn 'em...but, of course, they're not gonna do that, now, are they? :lol:

I'd reckon yer theory about why EVSD exists and 'ransoming' these recordings isn't too far from the truth.

Ironic, though that even Jimmy Page himself has to resort to acquiring the bootleg sourced version of his missing recordings. Kinda sad, when ya think on it...

If Jimmy gets them or has them, would he remaster them and put them in the box sets that are certainly coming by the end of the year? :tomato:

Time will tell, though Page and Kevin Shirley have made it abundantly clear that if it ain't a multitrack source, fuggedaboudit. Soundboards don't cut it, in their view.

had a weird dream with jimmy in it, where i told him to start releasing sbds.

for some reason i woke up today thinking that our sbds are monitor mixes. and each band members monitor mixes (different mixes, ex. "monitor mix" from the 5/26/77 show) were recorded to mono tape. weird huh.

potential future official releases? definitely. how many years will pass before jimmy heirs do that? or how many years til he does? many, probably.

just speculation and rambling bs as usual :dont:

...and it's made a lotta people into handful of gimme motherfuckers with an overinflated sense of entitlement, it's this whole goddamn 'something for nothing' attitude that makes some people hoard their shit and what not, and that's not a good thing.

Amen! I'll never forget the grief I encountered when I arranged a completely non-profit release of a previously uncirculated recording...never again!

Amen! I'll never forget the grief I encountered when I arranged a completely non-profit release of a previously uncirculated recording...never again!

Would you care to share that story, Steve? If ya don't want to put it on the forum, shoot me a PM, I love hearing about that kinda stuff!

Exactly, it is hypocritical, these whingers need to immediately take every bootleg sourced recording they own and burn 'em...but, of course, they're not gonna do that, now, are they? :lol:

I'd reckon yer theory about why EVSD exists and 'ransoming' these recordings isn't too far from the truth.

To me a lot of the hoarder anti boot comments as well strike me as dishoniest, we often hear "collector X was horrified someone was exploiting his recording for profit" when I'd guess the reality is "collector X was horrified the value of his recording and so its ability to let him(but not others) hear other recordings was diminished".

To me a lot of the hoarder anti boot comments as well strike me as dishoniest, we often hear "collector X was horrified someone was exploiting his recording for profit" when I'd guess the reality is "collector X was horrified the value of his recording and so its ability to let him(but not others) hear other recordings was diminished".

That's probably not too far from the truth, either, Greenman.

Take Freezer's New Orleans '73 audience tape. He sold his master copy to a bunch of kids who pooled together their lunch money...supposedly around $2000 (the exact amount has never been confirmed). The shit hit the fan, when the recording was leaked, because one of the kids gave a copy to someone outside the deal, who started blabbing about owning the audience recording online, so Freezer's safety copy was uploaded and shared online, to basically 'scoop' everybody in on the deal. Freezer thought this was the right thing to do since as far as he was concerned the deal was fucked the minute word got out in the first place (the tapes were supposed to be kept under wraps for a year). But somehow a copy of Freezer's master ended up in the hands of a bootleg company not long after (could have been EVSD, actually, I can't remember at the moment) so obviously one of the people who were given a copy of the recording on the sly sold it to the bootleggers...nobody knows how much they got for selling their copy of the recording, but if it was more than two grand, well...but as Freezer explained during all the hoopla, "I never offered to sell them the tape, they offered to buy it." But, and I say this with all due respect to Freezer, given his anti-bootlegger stance, ya gotta wonder if over the years if he actually did profit off of some of his other recordings; he always claimed his anti-bootleg stance was due to how they would misrepresent the pedigree of his recordings (witness all his ranting over the years about 'lineage' and whatnot) but maybe it was really because he overvalued the monetary worth of his recordings, which may be the real reason he stopped giving them out. But we'll never know...should I meet Freezer in the afterlife, maybe I'll ask him :lol:

Again? Implying there's more?

Of course.

Would you care to share that story, Steve? If ya don't want to put it on the forum, shoot me a PM, I love hearing about that kinda stuff!

Back in '98 I sourced a Page/Plant recording (in a non-profit manner) and someone tried to frame me as a bootlegger for doing so, which I am not. There was a lengthy police investigation, after which I was exonerated. I'm fairly certain who set me up back then and it seems they now regret it. The second time around was in '08. More grief and aggravation just for sharing, some of the details of which are presented in the thread below:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/4406-the-tale-of-the-tape-vancouver-32170/?hl=%2Bthe+%2Btale+%2Bof+%2Bthe+%2Btape

Of course.

Back in '98 I sourced a Page/Plant recording (in a non-profit manner) and someone tried to frame me as a bootlegger for doing so, which I am not. There was a lengthy police investigation, after which I was exonerated. I'm fairly certain who set me up back then and it seems they now regret it. The second time around was in '08. More grief and aggravation just for sharing, some of the details of which are presented in the thread below:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/4406-the-tale-of-the-tape-vancouver-32170/?hl=%2Bthe+%2Btale+%2Bof+%2Bthe+%2Btape

That sucks, Steve. :(

Good grief Steve! You sure caught some shit.

Glad nobody pee-peed and got all freaky on my project from last year.

(Jimmy, I have a limited edition copy waiting for you.)

Archived