Ginger Baker trashes Bonzo/Moonie....

Just watched the fantastic documentary, "Beware Mr. Baker" and Ginger basically trashes Bonzo. "Bonham had technique but he couldn't swing a sack of shit. The same with Moonie. If they were alive today, ask them." Then they cut to Eric Clapton and he scoffs at the idea of Bonzo/ Moonie being compared to Ginger because he claims Baker is a composer and was a fully harmonic musician. The thing I found interesting was he considers himself a jazz drummer and that at one point in his life, he used to shoot up a mix of heroin, cocaine, and LSD. He's totally insane!

Jazz musicians certainly also used those drugs...maybe not the cocktail of them.

Baker being...unapologetic about his feelings toward Bonham and Moon is not news -- he's expressed similar sentiments in the past. I would argue that it boils down (sadly) to some sense of jealousy. Cream were great, but...Zeppelin, and even The Who, were different animals altogether, and achieved greater levels of monetary success and accolades than Cream ever has.

Edited by Melcórë

I always find funny how basicaly every contemporary musician trashes Zeppelin because of their obvious musical superiority and larger fan base.

Pete Townshend says the same things as Ginger Baker, hates the music and likes them as people... They just can't get past their jealousy.

BAKER IS A IDIOT

Just watched the fantastic documentary, "Beware Mr. Baker" and Ginger basically trashes Bonzo. "Bonham had technique but he couldn't swing a sack of shit. The same with Moonie. If they were alive today, ask them." Then they cut to Eric Clapton and he scoffs at the idea of Bonzo/ Moonie being compared to Ginger because he claims Baker is a composer and was a fully harmonic musician. The thing I found interesting was he considers himself a jazz drummer and that at one point in his life, he used to shoot up a mix of heroin, cocaine, and LSD. He's totally insane!

I have also watched the documentary; and it is just a sad, sad state the violent paranoia and psychosis that haunts and embodies Ginger Baker.

I believe he is persona non grata on several continents!

Sad, just sad!

I have also watched the documentary; and it is just a sad, sad state the violent paranoia and psychosis that haunts and embodies Ginger Baker.

I believe he is persona non grata on several continents!

Sad, just sad!

This. He was a talented drummer and musician in his day, but he has always come across as a rather unpleasant man.

I was actually entertaining the thought of going to see him at Ronnie Scott's next month to see what the man behind the movie hype was all about ( I still haven't seen it yet). Given his comments about Bonham and Moon I'll pass. He needs to get over himself, pronto. Envy will hurt itself.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by DropDown

He's been the same person for 40 years now: extremely deranged and manic while being an extremely gifted percussionist. I agree with Clapton's description of Baker's playing, even if I disagree with his opinion of Bonham and Moon. And in all fairness, without Cream and their tremendous influence, we likely wouldn't have had the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.

"People hadn't really taken much notice of drums before Krupa. And Ginger Baker was responsible for the same thing in rock. Rock music had been around for a few years before Baker, but he was the first to come out with this 'new' attitude-that a drummer could be a forward musician in a rock band, and not something that was stuck in the background and forgotten about. I don't think anyone can ever put Ginger Baker down. Of course, everyone has their own idea of when Baker was at this peak. I thought he fantastic when he played with the Graham Bond Organization. It's a pity American audiences didn't see that band, because it really was a fantastic group-Ginger Bajer, Jack Bruce and Graham Bond. I think Baker was really more into jazz than rock. He does play with a jazz influence. He's always doing things in 5/4 and 3/4 tempos. Unfortunately he's always been a very weird sort of bloke. You can't really get to know him...he just won't allow it. Ginger's thing as a drummer is that he was always himself." - John Bonham

Edited by zeppy668

And in all fairness, without Cream and their tremendous influence, we likely wouldn't have had the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.

Not quite -- Cream's debut single and album were released in December 1966; The Jimi Hendrix Experience had already been formed at that point, and recorded their debut single ("Hey Joe"/"Stone Free") in October.

The other musicians would have gone places irrespective of the influence of Cream on their development, which I find negligible at best.

Not quite -- Cream's debut single and album were released in December 1966; The Jimi Hendrix Experience had already been formed at that point, and recorded their debut single ("Hey Joe"/"Stone Free") in October.

The other musicians would have gone places irrespective of the influence of Cream on their development, which I find negligible at best.

Definitely agree with this.

I think Cream deserves its place in the pantheon of 60's British rock groups. Each member was a great musician and to dismiss their influence is probably easy this many years later, and it takes a more knowledgable person than me to really make the case for them, but I think the only thing standing between them and the Stones, Who, etc., is longevity. Baker is clearly a misanthrope but if it hadn't been for this documentary I would not have known that.

^^ I watched it on Showtime. Really sad because he was a talented drummer, but he just seems fried!

His redeeming quality was the love for his animals.

I know, his love of polo and its ponies was almost shocking in the context of the rest of his life!

A very complex, but yet sad man, Mr. Baker is!

Right to clarify on the dates but regardless, Cream influenced everyone during that time period, including The Experience. Both trios pushed each other into directions that saw different takes on the emerging psychedelic scene.

Speaking of drummers here, Mitch Mitchell is still my all time favorite. The guy had incredible technique: loose, energetic, jazzy and eruptive. He's definitely in the Big 4 with Bonzo, Moon and Ginger.