2014 FIFA World Cup

LedZeppfan77

Yes it was. And I have Netherlands going all the way and beating Columbia in final on my contest. I won money on this game but I must admit, Mexico has good reason to cry foul. They should not have awarded a penalty kick in that scenario. Academy award to that Dutchman. I would not want to be a cop in Mexico City right now. I do feel bad for Mexico. The tying goal was brilliant and an example of how dangerous Netherlands are. Go Costa Rica. Up next

Well, there have been some pretty contentious incidents this world cup - like that so-called 'hand ball' by the incredible hulk and of course that penalty kick awarded to the Dutch! Yes, Robben was suspiciously 'clumsy' in a couple of instances in that match (as a Dutch fan myself, I think such tactics amount to cheating!! Shame on you Robben!) and yes, he certainly has exposed some 'hidden' talent for acting but, (at the risk of getting flogged by 100's if not 1000's of Mexicans :P), I think that penalty was legit. I saw the knee of that Mexican player (whoever that poor bastard was!) come into contact with Robben's foot. And since this contact occurred in the penalty area, well, all I can say is that, the rules are rules. It may not seem very obvious even today from certain camera angles but I saw what I saw. Even if Robben did admit that he took a dive, there was still contact. End of story. I think we can all just agree to disagree and not beat ourselves up about this matter any further.

Robben admitted he took a dive, end of story.

I thought the Dutch were above cheating and I was wrong.

Almost two weeks until the final and no doubt there'll be more controversy before the end.

As for who takes out the Cup, I couldn't care less.

This competition will be remembered for all the wrong reasons, whiich is most unfortunate.

Hup Holland Hup!!! Indeed, Kiwi...that was a helluva turnaround in the last five minutes or so of the match. Thankfully Netherlands vs. Mexico was the morning match so I was able to watch it before going into work yesterday. I was about the only one in the place cheering for the Orange...me and a waitress. Everyone else and definitely all the restaurant employees were going for Mexico.

Nice win by France this morning. I thought Nigeria would handle the heat of South America better than France, and also use their size advantage better. From the ashes of South Africa in 2010 France Football rises again.

Wow, Strider! It must have been pretty difficult to support the Netherlands, what with almost the entire restaurant backing Mexico instead!

For me, Sneijder was the hero of that match! :)

I just hope Robben can now get it together and play some good clean football, without any diving incidents! :slapface:

Looking forward to their encounter with Costa Rica! :)

Wow, Strider! It must have been pretty difficult to support the Netherlands, what with almost the entire restaurant backing Mexico instead!

For me, Sneijder was the hero of that match! :)

I just hope Robben can now get it together and play some good clean football, without any diving incidents! :slapface:

Looking forward to their encounter with Costa Rica! :)

The Netherlands are going to smash Costa Rica. This is a real mismatch. I think it gets ugly. Lets say 6-0

Robben may have accentuated a bit at the end, but don't forget the referee missed a clear penalty earlier, so it balances out in the end.

It seems Jozy Altidore will go for the U.S.today, which is a good thing. Altidore is one of the few players on the U.S. side that looks like an elite athlete and not just some happy-sack-playing hippie they found at a Phish concert.

U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

Do not be surprised if Argentina gets upset today. Maybe Maybe not. Worth a small play at a plus 600 and change on the Swiss. The Argentines are toast next game if not today. And I LOVE Colombia over Brazil . US. They have a very fortunate draw . I believe they can win two games. Beat Belgium, its possible and in fact I like them. If the Netherlands is two games away, it ends. They cannot beat the Netherlands. The Dutch are going to fucking destroy Costa Rica

Cry me a river you fucking ARgentine overated little shits. The Swiss should be up 1-0 if not for a magnificent save by the Argentine goalie. The Swiss could pull off the miracle if they work. Argentina have no shot in this tourny. Nadda. Netherlands and Colombia are the best. France and Germany also right there but have shown signs of lackluster play. Both. I am very impressed with the Dutch and the Colombian drug lords

Will anyone score in this match??? Eventually, I suppose...

Does anyone know if these teams are basically all-star teams full of professionals or do these guys just play as a national team for a committed amount of time, for international play only?

Oh yeah.....go U-S-A!!!

:cheer:

The Netherlands are going to smash Costa Rica. This is a real mismatch. I think it gets ugly. Lets say 6-0

Woah!! 6-0??! That Rick, will be a FANTASTIC outcome for the Dutch! :) But, Costa Rica seem pretty dangerous! Should be a very interesting encounter!!

Robben may have accentuated a bit at the end, but don't forget the referee missed a clear penalty earlier, so it balances out in the end.

As usual Strider, you've hit the nail on the head!! :goodpost: Thanks for reminding me of that penalty the referee missed out on earlier during that match!

Cry me a river you fucking ARgentine overated little shits. The Swiss should be up 1-0 if not for a magnificent save by the Argentine goalie. The Swiss could pull off the miracle if they work. Argentina have no shot in this tourny. Nadda. Netherlands and Colombia are the best. France and Germany also right there but have shown signs of lackluster play. Both. I am very impressed with the Dutch and the Colombian drug lords

Absolutely agree with you there! My heart really went out to the Swiss! They were really putting up a fight! They were just so bloody close to a penalty shootout! Ugh! Their goalkeeper was fantastic! Poor chap! Sad to see him wiping away his tears like that after the match! He put up such an effort! :( Kudos to the Swiss!!

Argentina might be celebrating now, but they sure need a reality check because their opponents in upcoming matches are going to get tougher and tougher! They seem to be relying on Messi A LOT. Not very wise in my opinion!!

Really looking forward to the Belgium Vs. USA encounter! :thumbsup:

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! :cheer:

Down goes a Belgium player and give him an award for being hurt . How the hell can he be hurt? He went down with little impact. It kills me all of this acting. Trying to suck yellow cards out of the refs. Just get up and stop this.

Yes the Swiss deserved a better outcome. That great save early in the game by the Argentine goalie was huge. Belgium are really bringing it early. Do not look like the same Belgium I saw in their last match. And they won that one very late. I do believe the US have a big shot here. You have to believe Germany are better than Belgium. And we gave them a fight. Oh man, Cameron just had a good chance

Tough loss, no offense the past two games, but an enjoyable ride and the sport has finally caught my attention. We have a new MSL team here in Orlando who just signed a guy from Brazil. I might have to start paying closer attention!

Tough loss, no offense the past two games, but an enjoyable ride and the sport has finally caught my attention. We have a new MSL team here in Orlando who just signed a guy from Brazil. I might have to start paying closer attention!

OR NOT. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Absolutely agree with you there! My heart really went out to the Swiss! They were really putting up a fight! They were just so bloody close to a penalty shootout! Ugh! Their goalkeeper was fantastic! Poor chap! Sad to see him wiping away his tears like that after the match! He put up such an effort! :( Kudos to the Swiss!!

Argentina might be celebrating now, but they sure need a reality check because their opponents in upcoming matches are going to get tougher and tougher! They seem to be relying on Messi A LOT. Not very wise in my opinion!!

Really looking forward to the Belgium Vs. USA encounter! :thumbsup:

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! :cheer:

I'll be wholeheartedly cheering on Belgium against Argentina - the US tried its best but Belgium was better organized overall and experience in the long run won out. Congratulations to them. Kudos to Tim Howard who set a World Cup record - 16 saves! Go Belgium and go Colombia!

That's how I feel about baseball anymore, Rick.

Ah, you Yankee fans. Can't take it when the Yankees have a bad year. Look at how many bad years we had. Finally we have a shot. Anyway, back to this World Cup, I just cannot seperate Germany and France? Too tough to call. A true toss up. Why the Netherlands are only favored by one goal at the moment is beyond me. But it will go up as the game approaches. I think the Dutch will roll them big time. 6-1. And I like Colombia to beat Brazil in regular time. to me its no shock. Colombia have really impressed the hell out of me. They may win the whole damn thing?

I'll be wholeheartedly cheering on Belgium against Argentina - the US tried its best but Belgium was better organized overall and experience in the long run won out. Congratulations to them. Kudos to Tim Howard who set a World Cup record - 16 saves! Go Belgium and go Colombia!

Me too! I'm not a fan of Argentina at all. IMO, they are pretty overrated!

Kudos to the U.S for putting up a fight! Loved that they were both attacking as well as defending! They had a couple of great chances! I really enjoyed watching Tim Howard in action! So many memorable saves! :) But yes, Belgium was indeed the better team! I think they are pretty capable of winning in their encounter against Argentina! :shifty:

Me too! I'm not a fan of Argentina at all. IMO, they are pretty overrated!

Kudos to the U.S for putting up a fight! Loved that they were both attacking as well as defending! They had a couple of great chances! I really enjoyed watching Tim Howard in action! So many memorable saves! :) But yes, Belgium was indeed the better team! I think they are pretty capable of winning in their encounter against Argentina! :shifty:

Yes they are. But if they manage to beat Belgium that will be it. They would not have a prayer vs the Netherlands. And they are lucky they will not have to face Germany or France or Colombia. I also love Colombia over Brazil. I think its going to happen. The Germany vs France winner may have a say in the semi final, but I still believe the Dutch and Colombia are the best two teams I have seen. Good luck picking the winner of Germany and France. To me a true toss up.

Just remember Americans only root for and support a winner. They don't love this game enough to keep buying season tickets for a losing franchise.

Mine as well. It remains to be seen if I'll stick with it, but for the first time I've been doing some web searches and asking questions about the game. My favorite baseball team is painful to watch at present so that might have something to do with it. :-)

Archived