Things People Do That Rub You

Charles J. White

Did we not have a thread that was "What really annoys you?".

Anyway I haven't got the time to mention what really rubs me. I would need a week !! So I'll start.

Personal number plates on cars

Checkout assistants

People who bogart joints

A recent one: My neighbour asked me for a replacement key for the door which separates our houses. Cost me 11 of my crispest English notes. He is refusing to pay for it.

The weather...........

Regarding your neighbour and the key, go to his/her door with the receipt and say to them that as they were the ones who asked for the key, they are liable for a half share, and you require that they pay £5.50. Don't bother about whether they don't speak to you again, if they are so bloody rude as to do what they have done - who needs their friendship? I wouldn't let it drop. Go for it!!!

Did we not have a thread that was "What really annoys you?".

Anyway I haven't got the time to mention what really rubs me. I would need a week !! So I'll start.

Personal number plates on cars

Checkout assistants

People who bogart joints

A recent one: My neighbour asked me for a replacement key for the door which separates our houses. Cost me 11 of my crispest English notes. He is refusing to pay for it.

The weather...........

Regarding your neighbour and the key, go to his/her door with the receipt and say to them that as they were the ones who asked for the key, they are liable for a half share, and you require that they pay £5.50. Don't bother about whether they don't speak to you again, if they are so bloody rude as to do what they have done - who needs their friendship? I wouldn't let it drop. Go for it!!!

Believe me he is no friend of mine. He acknowledges the fact he owes me 11 notes for the key. I am obliged to upkeep the door ( the lock broke in the vicious storms we had a month or so ago) it is in the deeds of the property I own. He wanted a spare key. I won't let it drop of course. I'll mention once more then forget about it. It's not worth arguing about, it just sort of "rubs me up"

I actually wrote a glowing recommendation for someone, and got him a job that he really wanted, and he did get the job. Never even received a thank you. What rubs you the wrong way?

Kind of similar...

A friend of a friend who is a professional photographer asked for referrals, promising $50 referral reward for any jobs he takes.

As the manager of a print shop at the time, I had a customer inquire about a photographer for a wedding.

I gave him their name and number, and sure enough, some time later they returned, and mentioned he did a good job - so I know he took the job I referred to him.

Of course, he never called me back or offered the $50 referral reward.

Needless to say, he'll never receive another call from me, either.

This kind of reminds me of a television show we had in Britain called 'Who wants to be a millionaire?' where any contestant who was stumped on a question could call a friend to see if they knew the answer, and thereby get onto the next phase of the competition. The press followed up the story with friends who had provided the correct answer, enabling the contestant to get on to the big money question. It was found that the winner often didn't give the friend any money at all out of their sizeable winnings.

Kind of similar...

A friend of a friend who is a professional photographer asked for referrals, promising $50 referral reward for any jobs he takes.

As the manager of a print shop at the time, I had a customer inquire about a photographer for a wedding.

I gave him their name and number, and sure enough, some time later they returned, and mentioned he did a good job - so I know he took the job I referred to him.

Of course, he never called me back or offered the $50 referral reward.

Needless to say, he'll never receive another call from me, either.

Edited by 1973fan

That's happened to me too. Very annoying and selfish of them!

I actually wrote a glowing recommendation for someone, and got him a job that he really wanted, and he did get the job. Never even received a thank you. What rubs you the wrong way?

That's happened to me too. Very annoying and selfish of them!

When it happened to me a few years back, I took the dude's wife out for a night on the town. And the next night, I started dating his daughter.

Stay thirsty my friend.

TypeO, do you know if the person mentioned that they had received the referral from you to the photographer? If you know that for a fact, you should've dropped him a note....

I gave the photographer their phone number and told them they needed a wedding photographer, and they confirmed a few months later he did their wedding, and what a good job he did, thanking me for recommending him.

So yeah.

When you hold a door for someone (man or woman) and they just breeze right past without a thanks, kiss my ass, or anything. Ingrates.

If they walk past me without speaking/acknowledging, I say "you're welcome" loud enough for them to hear.

And since I'm posting, might as well unload some more.

Driving (jeez, I could fill up a thread just on driving), waiting behind someone at an intersection to turn right, and a vehicle coming from the right makes a left turn - crossing the lane the driver I'm behind is waiting to turn into - and the driver in front of me doesn't take that opportunity to turn right.

That may sound confusing, but if a car has enough time to turn left across oncoming traffic - which results in that car literally blocking the lane the waiting driver is attempting to turn right into - there is no conceivable reason for that driver not to turn right while shielded by the other car turning left across that lane of traffic.

Any oncoming traffic would literally have to crash through the car turning left before it could be a threat to the car turning right.

OK, I went ahead and made a diagram - actually where it most recently took place this morning.

post-4573-0-20975000-1396492066_thumb.jp

I'm in Car #1 (blue), behind Car #2 (red) who is waiting to turn right.

If Car #3 (green) is able to turn left ACROSS oncoming traffic (Car #4) safely, then there is no justification for Car #2 NOT to make their right turn, as they would be completely shielded from oncoming traffic (Car #4) by Car #3.

Drives me crazy (pun not really intended, but applicable).

Personalised number plates, a few years ago whilst I was working in Dixons (electrical goods) I was serving a woman who wanted a television, she became really agitated when I asked for her name and address (it's a legal requirement) any way she droned on and on about privacy etc, then she started bragging about just purchasing a personalised number plate, I upset her a lot, when I pointed out that only a moron would want their name on a number plate, and why didn't she just paint her name on the front of her car, I then mentioned what she had said about privacy and not wanting people to know who she was....... She reported me to my manager, fortunately he agreed with me that she was just a toffee nosed tit.Anyway I strongly disagree with people getting their names on number plates, especially when they have a number 4 and think it looks like the letter A, and so on......their are so many of them around , and a lot of them it's hard to understand which name it's supposed to be....The good thing now is that in the UK people who adjust their number plates to look like a name are fined......it happened to a neighbour of mine....I don't know him very well, but when he first got it I asked him what his name was as I couldn't work it out!!!!!! He was well pissed off.Cost him £60 though, he soon reverted to the original plate.

drivers who don't indicate

drivers who screeeeeeam around corners in residential areas

customers/workers who don't say please/thank you

customers who talk on the phone while being served

big companies who make gazillions, yet still cut casual hours

Personalised number plates.

One of the dumbest I ever saw:

SOHOT4U

I had one on my bike:

WREKIT

I used to wreck buildings for a living. I shitcanned it because it just got too expensive. Damned California.

One of the dumbest I ever saw:

SOHOT4U

I had one on my bike:

WREKIT

I used to wreck buildings for a living. I shitcanned it because it just got too expensive. Damned California.

A couple I won't forget:

And some I'm totally lost on...

IGODEEP.

The car was in a parking lot and the dude was shooting the shit with a young girl who had parked next to him and was leaning in his driver side window in polite chat, I'm sure.

ILTBF

I had no clue... This was a cute young woman's vanity tag. My wife said it was "I Love To Butt F*ck".

We ran the ILTBF across some friends, and they came up with the same result as my wife's vivid imagination.

These go back a few years.

Thought of (well, actually, experienced) another after posting the other day. People who don't follow the laws of traffic when pushing their grocery carts (i.e. in the US; we stay to the right in the aisle).

People who don't follow the laws of traffic when pushing their grocery carts (i.e. in the US; we stay to the right in the aisle).

Bicycle riders who think they own the road. The bastards wanna use the roads then make 'em get a license for their damned bikes.

People who abuse other people or animals

Arrogance

Racism

Laziness

Those who think the earth and oceans are a place to dump trash.

Extremely rich people who have no concern or regards for those who are not...which leads to

Selfishness

Children who show loving parents no respect

Taking a phone call during meals

Close minded people