DEEP THINKING ABOUT

geekfreak

Yesterday was the Kent State shootings anniversary. Brutality then and now.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/four-students-killed-at-kent-state

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Kent_State_Shootings?rec=1595

Also, since libraries are essential, it may come as a surprise that those in New York are in dire need of help, particularly with a mayor who professes to be concerned with the marginalized, who happen to have need for libraries perhaps more than anyone else. It burns my temper to read that Brooklyn supposedly has no philanthropic pockets for libraries yet there stands the shiny new Barclays Center for the Brooklyn Nets (and soon to be home of the NHL's Islanders). Prokhorov and Jay-Z could single-handedly tackle this one and succeed. This isn't so much about a lack of money as it is about a poor distribution of it.

The two highlighted paragraphs paint a poignant contrast of use and numbers of libraries compared with those of buildings that get more funding.

I use libraries where I work and live every week, and on weekends see the many different kinds of people waiting for the doors to open. You'll be hard pressed to find a more diverse group gather in any one place consistently. Libraries are quietly the most democratic places around. It's important to keep investing in them.

New York City’s Libraries Need Money

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

MAY 5, 2015

06wed3Web-master675.jpg

The Hunts Point Library in the Bronx. CreditNicole Bengiveno/The New York Times

New York’s public libraries want about $1.5 billion from the city over the next 10 years so they can fix their buildings, which are old, crowded, falling apart or lacking in things they need to be useful in the 21st century, like electrical outlets. They also want more operating money, $378 million, up from about $320 million, to improve programs and services in the coming fiscal year and to stay open longer — a basic indicator of library-system vigor in which New York lags embarrassingly behind Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio and San Diego. And the city’s suburbs. And Albany.

Mayor Bill de Blasio should give them the money, no question.

Library funding has been lagging for years. The city’s three systems — the New York Public Library, which covers Manhattan, the Bronx and Staten Island; the Queens Library and the Brooklyn Public Library — were left struggling to do more with less under Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and need a huge infusion of money to stabilize themselves, make overdue repairs and return service to where it was before cuts dating to 2008. The city’s libraries are privately run institutions that depend heavily on public funds — overwhelmingly so in Brooklyn and Queens, which lack the deep philanthropic pockets that make mid-Manhattan’s landmark library gleam. Keeping the sprawling system healthy is a core municipal responsibility.

Mr. de Blasio should act because his city is demanding it, more than ever. That is, the people whose needs are the core of Mr. de Blasio’s mayoral mission, whose priorities he trumpets, immigrants and the poor.

The libraries are where poor children learn to read and love literature, where immigrants learn English, where job-seekers hone résumés and cover letters, and where those who lack ready access to the Internet can cross the digital divide. Libraries can be a natural fit for mayoral projects like after-school programs and prekindergarten, and for the city’s justly lauded municipal ID program. They are havens for thinking, dreaming, studying, striving and — for many children and the elderly — simply for staying safe, and out of the heat.

Mr. de Blasio leads a city where the corporate and entertainment infrastructure are seldom neglected. Citi Field, Yankee Stadium and the Barclays Center, to name just three, are beneficiaries of hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer funds, as Jim Dwyer of The Times recently pointed out, while schools and libraries languish. If the mayor wants to make this city better from the bottom up, he should do right by New Yorkers like those who gather most mornings on the steps of the shiny library on Main Street in Flushing, waiting for the doors to open.

You can add up all the yearly visitors to the city’s baseball stadiums, its basketball and hockey arenas, all its performing-arts spaces, city-owned museums, gardens and zoos and you’ll never get to 37 million, the number of people who used the city’s underfunded, overburdened, utterly essential libraries in the last fiscal year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/06/opinion/new-york-citys-libraries-need-money.html

Edited by Patrycja

The thing is, as someone has already pointed out that libraries are a community hub.

In an area such as the place where I live, there is a lot of old folk who don't have access to internet. There is also a large number of unemployed people who may not have the luxery of smart phones, internet access etc to try and get themselves back onto their feet so they have no other choice than to use the computers etc there..

Our library is also used for advertising, it's where I go to to see if there are any courses, get togethers and basically what's on.

I do in a way understand where CJW is coming from in regards to the amount of money being spent, but without the community library, the world to me seems to be a pretty lonely place.

Spending vast sums of taxpayer monies on a library seems silly to me in the age of high speed internet, laptops, smartphones, and tablets. You can find almost any book you want online. The bricks and mortar model is something that will not be here much longer.

Taxpayers use libraries, the kind of person who likes the look and feel of a book. I've tried a kindle, didn't like it, I prefer to buy my books. I admit I have not used a library in years but one day I might. We have one a five minute walk away up in the village that is well used by the local community. an extremely valuable asset that should be protected at any cost.

Spending vast sums of taxpayer monies on a library seems silly to me in the age of high speed internet, laptops, smartphones, and tablets. You can find almost any book you want online. The bricks and mortar model is something that will not be here much longer.

David Cameron right wing Tory bollocks from our Canadian correspondent. The kind of drivel which really annoys me. Not everyone is tech savy man and certainly it offers a part of the community which is sadly being eroded. Perhaps you would like to see humanity caged in, staring at electronic devices with no interaction? The elderly and the unconnected have a right to free libraries whether they are used or not. I take it you enjoy Logan's Run and Solyent Green?

post-4226-0-69204500-1430916450_thumb.jp

OR

post-4226-0-03510500-1430916514_thumb.jp

Edited by chillumpuffer

David Cameron right wing Tory bollocks from our Canadian correspondent. The kind of drivel which really annoys me. Not everyone is tech savy man and certainly it offers a part of the community which is sadly being eroded. Perhaps you would like to see humanity caged in, staring at electronic devices with no interaction? The elderly and the unconnected have a right to free libraries whether they are used or not. I take it you enjoy Logan's Run and Solyent Green?

attachicon.gifth.jpg

OR

attachicon.gifth1.jpg

:goodpost: Well said CP, well said. Right wing tory bollox from CJW indeed.

I cannot imagine growing up without a library. Certainly, during my youth, we did not have the convenience of the technology that is available today, but even if we did, nothing compares to seeing the books in person and browsing around to find something new...and to borrow it for free. Besides all of the resources that libraries make available to those who don't have access to the Internet, they also offer programs to children that inspire a love of reading and learning. How is that not a great investment! I am thankful that our city is sporting two new beautiful libraries built after Hurricane Katrina. One replaced the library on the beach that was destroyed, and the other replaced a tiny, rather pitiful library in a local community.

Anyone who advocates the closing of libraries and bookshops is the enemy, as far as I'm concerned. As one of my jobs is at a bookshop, and several of my friends work at libraries, we're in the thick of the digital onslaught, doing our best to hold the fort for those who still like the tactile pleasures of paper and actual reading...not scanning a screen.

Besides, what happens in a power outage? All those electronic gizmos wont help you much, while a book doesn't need a power source. Libraries are important fonts of information and important social interaction locations. A city without a library is a city without a soul.

Charles, it seems like you're outnumbered here -- haha -- and for good reason.

Charles, it seems like you're outnumbered here -- haha -- and for good reason.

It's okay with me; we can all agree sometimes, disagree other times. That's life. I'm not against maintaining existing libraries, just not in favor of building new ones when we have high speed internet, tablets, laptops, and smartphones; I would rather tax dollars focused on healthcare and education (math, music, reading, sciences, and physical health)

Edited by Charles J. White

^^^ Interesting article, Patrycja, and a remarkable statistic in the last paragraph.

Mmm hmm, thanks Ddladner, and I agree with you and others who see the bigger picture beyond the digital age ushering in a new era. Charles has a fair point in terms of technologies being here and the challenges and benefits that these present, but he is not looking at the larger picture of the value of use of space for people to gather in. You don't hear anyone saying oh let's get rid of sports stadiums or concert halls because the technology is here to replace having to actually go there (then again, given how we've lamented here how so many such venues have ended up as parking lots, that too is a troubling trend).

Yes, many benefit from the technology, like those who can't physically go to a library for whatever reason, for instance. Libraries are already making adjustments to try to accommodate and integrate it (anyone remember the DDS way of finding books? Who wants to return to it? lol). There are ebooks, ejournals, access to research materials online, employment resources, digital archives, etc., etc.

But there's so much to be said for having a welcoming place to go, of actually having to get up and go to a space that offers a change of scenery, a quiet place for study or research, and a gathering place for programs, group work, teaching or just getting together because it's in the neighbourhood or central to other places. Libraries are also a source of employment. And while it makes some uncomfortable, homeless people also get a chance to benefit from being out from the heat or cold, from being able to just sit and read or surf online and be regular persons like everyone else there. These are just a few reasons among many as to why technology cannot ever replace what a physical space brings.

And while I disagree with Charles's opinion that money should not go to new libraries, here is an example of a creative solution that he may find an agreeable compromise - a repurposed space that benefits the community:

Walmart Abandoned In Texas Renovated Into Chic New McAllen Public Library

The Huffington Post | By Laura Hibbard

Posted: 07/03/2012 5:09 pm EDT Updated: 07/03/2012 5:12 pm EDT

For McAllen, Texas, one man's abandoned Walmart is another's public library.

After inheriting the abandoned structure, architecture firm Meyer, Scherer & Rockcastle (MS&R) was selected to handle the interior development, with the city mandating it be affordable to construct.

According to PSFK, the library is 124,500 square feet, making it the largest single-story location in the U.S. at a size about equal to 2.5 football fields. (See photos below.)

The library's construction could signal a positive change for libraries across the state. In late 2010, a Harris/Reader's Digest Post showed that nearly 40 percent of American mayors said they planned to cut employees and make reductions to libraries, with some even cutting branches completely.

A few states away in Lawrenceville, Ga., a group of teachers at Benefield Elementary School have banded together to work for free during the summer to teach children to read.

"I think it's really important that the [kids] not just be on the computer or watching TV," teacher Karen Stocks told WGCL-TV.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/03/abandoned-walmart-turned-into-_n_1647574.html

Check out the link for pictures. The interior may not be to everyone's taste, but it's a great idea nonetheless.

The moment as you leave the office and hear everyone talking about going out for dinner and no one bothers to invite you. What a fucked up world we live in. Sometimes I wonder why I bother doing what I do. Maybe if they were all laid off because the money started to dry up they might think of things differently; I don't know anymore.

Edited by Charles J. White

Anyone who advocates the closing of libraries and bookshops is the enemy, as far as I'm concerned. As one of my jobs is at a bookshop, and several of my friends work at libraries, we're in the thick of the digital onslaught, doing our best to hold the fort for those who still like the tactile pleasures of paper and actual reading...not scanning a screen.

Besides, what happens in a power outage? All those electronic gizmos wont help you much, while a book doesn't need a power source. Libraries are important fonts of information and important social interaction locations. A city without a library is a city without a soul.

I'd much rather read a book on paper than read one on the Internet. I can understand and even appreciate the functionality and ease of a Kindle or Nook, but at the end of the day, I like having a tangible piece of paper in my hand that I can turn and hold and put on a shelf. I love browsing bookstores for hours, I love spending an equal amount of time just sitting in a library. I've had a library card since I was old enough to read, which is what....28, 29 years now?

In the summer, we get pretty horrific thunderstorms and the power frequently goes out. I turn on a flashlight, grab a book, and busy myself until Duke Energy gets everything sorted.

well here`s some mindless rambling of the things gone on within my mind. which isn't unusable just totally mixed up within the mind of a gibberish geek, with too many bits and pieces going on at once. never been able to sort out so I`ve gotten to untangle them before setting them down here...

so its been another record buying spree yes...

Quote:

Hittin` The Note...Because Music Matters

Quote:

Its Always About The...Music

Words fall short how devastating the earthquakes are to Nepal:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32701385 (saw this on Emily008's post - http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/10818-what-made-you-un-happy-today/?p=819272 )

Here are some places you can donate. Sometimes cell providers have text-to-donate campaigns, though I've not heard of any (mine isn't doing it :( ) Maybe people can post other ways to help out, too.

http://blogs.unicef.org/2015/05/12/nepal-struck-by-7-4-magnitude-earthquake/

Canadian Red Cross

American Red Cross

http://musicforrelief.org/nepal/

Huffington Post - How To Help Nepal: 13 Charities Delivering Critical Support To Nepal Earthquake Victims

Words fall short how devastating the earthquakes are to Nepal:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32701385 (saw this on Emily008's post - http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/10818-what-made-you-un-happy-today/?p=819272 )

Here are some places you can donate. Sometimes cell providers have text-to-donate campaigns, though I've not heard of any (mine isn't doing it :( ) Maybe people can post other ways to help out, too.

http://blogs.unicef.org/2015/05/12/nepal-struck-by-7-4-magnitude-earthquake/

Canadian Red Cross

American Red Cross

http://musicforrelief.org/nepal/

Huffington Post - How To Help Nepal: 13 Charities Delivering Critical Support To Nepal Earthquake Victims

yes we all should do our bit to help out the people of Nepal...

yes we all should do our bit to help out the people of Nepal...

We have someone in our office who brought this to our attention and they passed the hat around and gave the money to the Canadian Red Cross. You are right. A lot of companies and staff at companies can raise a bit. I thought the biggest problem Nepal had was actually getting into the country because airports were damaged or runways were damaged.