La La

I am personally staying away from these tracks until I get my box sets, but is there any indication that this song was recently touched up to make it presentable (ie: more guitars, etc), like Walter's Walk? I doubt it, but I was curious to know to what degree these tracks were worked for the DE releases.

This is the approach I am taking as well. Apart from the Jimmy Page Listening Party, which I mainly watched to see what questions were asked and if anyone from the forum had one of their submitted questions chosen, I have been in Led Zeppelin Quarantine mode for weeks. I didn't even listen to the La La link posted here, nor have I watched any of the latest promo vids posted by Sam. This is all going to hit me like a ton of bricks...or like a lead balloon?...on Tuesday when I purchase my boxes.

Regarding your question, though, I cannot imagine there being any modern touch-up recording done on these bonus tracks. For one, it would stick out like a sore thumb adding a 2013 guitar track onto 1968-69 recordings. Remember how intrusive and odd it felt hearing Jimmy's 1982 octave guitar added onto the 1970 RAH "We're Gonna Groove"? And that was with only a 12 year time difference.

For another, it just seems logistically and financially unfeasible to have Robert, JPJ, and Jimmy go in and record new parts ala "Coda".

Bring on Tuesday!

I am personally staying away from these tracks until I get my box sets, but is there any indication that this song was recently touched up to make it presentable (ie: more guitars, etc), like Walter's Walk?

Not to my ears, no. In fact, Jimmy's slide sounds similar to the sound he had on the Lord Sutch stuff if you've ever heard that...

Not to my ears, no. In fact, Jimmy's slide sounds similar to the sound he had on the Lord Sutch stuff if you've ever heard that...

Thanks Striderer and mstork for the thoughts and feedback.

Yes, I have heard the Lord Sutch stuff; I have an original pressing of the LP in my collection. Good to know. Holding strong on not listening to any of this stuff til the boxes drop on my front porch.

Yes, I have heard the Lord Sutch stuff; I have an original pressing of the LP in my collection. Good to know. Holding strong on not listening to any of this stuff til the boxes drop on my front porch.

You have some willpower DL, I would be tempted to say the least. :yesnod:

You have some willpower DL, I would be tempted to say the least. :yesnod:

Haha. That's what makes it so incredibly rewarding. I did the same thing last year with the new Black Sabbath release. Creating your own listening environment, cracking a bottle of wine, and making the time to really indulge, is the best way to cement the original impression. I remember as a kid the first time I heard various Led Zeppelin songs and albums, and I can re-live those moments in my mind, right down to the smell of the freshly pressed vinyl. Listening to these albums for the first time, the way I have planned, will leave me with similar memories and impressions. I do not want to look back on this occasion and recall sitting at my desk at work, and listening to Lala over my cheap computer speakers. Its all about the memories Cecil. The anticipation is fun, and the reward will be lasting. :)

Dark Lord, I am fully behind you, as coming on forum or picking up music magazine must be a bit of minefield for you right now, :bravo:

Well said about the smell of fresh vinyl, all part of the experience.

Dark Lord, I am fully behind you, as coming on forum or picking up music magazine must be a bit of minefield for you right now, :bravo:

Well said about the smell of fresh vinyl, all part of the experience.

I have heard some brief snippets of a couple tracks, but not the whole thing. I am fully indulging in reading about this material, but that's it. Enjoy the releases!

Wonderful... but the idea that there could be a version of this song in which JPJ sings along " la la la ... " astonishing !

Of all the things you could hear that might invite a bit of vocal improvisation, it's hard to think where that happens on this one .. it's kicking off musically in so many directions ..

I will follow Cecil and Dark Lord in reserving any further judgement until the actual albums arrive ...

It's not really what I was expecting, not that I know what I was expecting. I like it. Looking forward to the releases!

My first thought was how on Earth do you come up with lyrics for a track like that. :unsure:

I love it! Of course it sounds like Zeppelin. Who else plays guitar like that? It doesn't sound anything like the Who.

It's a little Who like but only the acoustic guitar section, listen to PTs acoustic strumming on the "Tommy" album and you will hear why some are making the connection.

I had posted this over on the Boxsets thread as I didn't realize this one was here.

Surprised, no one has mentioned La La which has been available for streaming on Soundcloud since today. Someone familiar to us provided it. Found out on Rolling Stone's site. Quite a unique instrumental and so varied with so many twists and turns. Much "Light and Shade" with this. WOW! Some of Jimmy's guitar playing, especially in the second half of it, would remind me of his Yardbirds' time as well as the solo on "Lemon Song" he performed from the Fillmore on 4/27/69. Just an observation.

What do you think? Just a great part of these archives that we can now enjoy! Great work Jimmy and much obliged! :yourock:

I had posted this over on the Boxsets thread as I didn't realize this one was here.

Surprised, no one has mentioned La La which has been available for streaming on Soundcloud since today. Someone familiar to us provided it. Found out on Rolling Stone's site. Quite a unique instrumental and so varied with so many twists and turns. Much "Light and Shade" with this. WOW! Some of Jimmy's guitar playing, especially in the second half of it, would remind me of his Yardbirds' time as well as the solo on "Lemon Song" he performed from the Fillmore on 4/27/69. Just an observation.

What do you think? Just a great part of these archives that we can now enjoy! Great work Jimmy and much obliged! :yourock:

La La was up on another site last Monday, also provided by someone familiar around here.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=1%3A20589281%3A1031%3A01%2D06%2D2014%3A

New interview with Jimmy Page on the Dave Fanning Sunday show on RTÉ yesterday.

Probably the best interview with Jimmy I ever heard.

We also hear the interesting news that the song with JPJ singing was "La La". It's title comes from the fact that JPJ was lala-ing his idea of what a vocal track would sound like and LA LA was written on the tape box. So that's it. The plot thickens. I did a capture yesterday of the full interview and will be uploading it.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=1%3A20589281%3A1031%3A01%2D06%2D2014%3A

New interview with Jimmy Page on the Dave Fanning Sunday show on RTÉ yesterday.

Probably the best interview with Jimmy I ever heard.

We also hear the interesting news that the song with JPJ singing was "La La". It's title comes from the fact that JPJ was lala-ing his idea of what a vocal track would sound like and LA LA was written on the tape box. So that's it. The plot thickens. I did a capture yesterday of the full interview and will be uploading it.

I heard this interview. It's a good one and well done!

Archived