Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

Bloody hell. That was officially, fucking awesome. Thank you, 2bit! I seen the light! That part where Jeff solos, then Ronnie, then KEEF - phwoah.

P.S. There was a Jimmy Page sighting at the Rolling Stones gig. He came out of the main entrance area with another bloke, so say reports on a Stones fan site.

Edited by FireOpal

P.S. There was a Jimmy Page sighting at the Rolling Stones gig. He came out of the main entrance area with another bloke, so say reports on a Stones fan site.

Interesting as there has been speculation for weeks Beck will be joined by Clapton during one or more of the U.S. shows. If Jimmy does not perform with them in the UK or USA one has to wonder if he was invited to do so but declined.

Clapton? I am hoping that's just a rumor. Jimmy has more history/connection with the Stones, plus he is friends w/ Keith and Ronnie - and Beck, of course, who is much admired by Mr. Jagger -- see it all comes together so nicely.

Please, let it be Jimmy!

From the Stones App as breaking news:

ERIC CLAPTON AND FLORENCE WELCH TO JOIN THE ROLLING STONES ON STAGE

THURSDAY 29 NOVEMBER, LONDON O2 ARENA

The Rolling Stones have announced that guitar legend Eric Clapton and British singer/ Florence and the Machine front-woman Florence Welch will be joining the band on stage for their second “50 and Counting” concert at London’s O2 Arena on Thursday 29 November.

This exciting news follows the special appearances of Jeff Beck and Mary J. Blige on Sunday night, as the Stones kicked off their five-concert run in London.

The Rolling Stones’ concert on Sunday – the band’s first in over five years – featured hits and classics such as ‘Jumping Jack Flash’, ‘Brown Sugar’, ‘Sympathy for the Devil’ and ‘Paint It Black’ as well as two new songs, ‘Doom & Gloom’ and ‘One More Shot’.

The Stones will continue the “50 and Counting” shows with three dates in the USA - Brooklyn Barclay Center on December 8 and two nights at Newark’s Prudential Center on December 13 & 15.

The final show on the 15th will be telecast live via pay-per-view at 9pm ET. The pay-per-view entitled “One More Shot” will be distributed by WWE.

Leeds Roundhay Park 25 July 82, the last gig of the early 80s tour is the latest Stones official bootleg and is now available to download....and what a beautiful summers day it was too....The only time I have ever seen daytime fireworks, huge bangs and massive clouds of coloured smoke, absolutely spectacular...It was a bit of a strange setlist though no Midnight Rambler, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil...but you can't have everything can you......

They don't perform even half as good as Zeppelin.

After watching Celebration Day I'm sorry to say both Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones have much in common when it comes to performing in their senior years. One main difference though is the Stones have extra musicians hired to help the songs stand up.

Much of the time Jimmy Page's skills seem to be on the same level as Keith Richards' though many times more on the Ron Wood level. Ouch!

One thing that Mick Jagger does when singing some songs is to put the same emphasis on the last verse, such as “Midnight Rambler” or “She Was Hot”, as he does on the first verses. This makes it sound like he's just laboring though the song. Robert Plant does the same thing on some of the songs on Celebration Day.

The Stones seem to dress up for stage where the Zeppeln guys clothes seemed not so much in bad taste but rather tasteless. I mean Plant's pants and a shirt look like some things that just happened to be lying around the house.

Edited by Gospel Zone

Well, this is a Rolling Stones thread so I'm avoiding the debate :lol: . Anywho, this morning I've been listening to Live in London 1973 and it's bringing back memories of just how good a live act the Stones were back in that era. No offence to Ronnie Wood intended but Mick Taylor really was the cat's ass and Keef never sounded better !

One main difference though is the Stones have extra musicians hired to help the songs stand up.

For me this is a real negative. I believe this is referred to on the IORR site as 'Vegas Stones'.

I much preferred the line-up I saw in 1982 when I first saw them.

Having a keyboard player a la Ian Stewart, and Bobby Keys on sax is quite enough in terms of extras.

No need for anyone else.

I still maintain that the only bands that outclass the Stones live are (or were) The Who and Led Zep.

For me this is a real negative. I believe this is referred to on the IORR site as 'Vegas Stones'.

I much preferred the line-up I saw in 1982 when I first saw them.

Having a keyboard player a la Ian Stewart, and Bobby Keys on sax is quite enough in terms of extras.

No need for anyone else.

I still maintain that the only bands that outclass the Stones live are (or were) The Who and Led Zep.

I'd say the Stones, The Who, and Led Zep were the top live bands who made classic rock classic rock. Without those guys this type of music would be in danger of just being "listening to the oldies".

The Who, in later years, also had the extra hired help such as the horn players who sounded real good when they weren't playing. So in that respect Led Zeppelin gets extra credit for just using the original lineup, save for Jason Bonham.

I was trying to be objective as I think all three of these bands have similar problems brought on by time. The Stones are the greediest followed by The Who. I haven't seen any over priced Celebration Day sets (I got my Deluxe Blu-Ray set for $26.99) so Led Zeppelin should be commended for that.

As for any of these bands being on top of their game in the last few years......I'd say the Stones are, but that game is making every move some kind of "big deal" and not so much the music.

I think Robert Plant's singing is way better on Live From The Artist's Den than on Celebration Day and the Band Of Joy also does a much more exciting version of "Ramble On".

Edited by Gospel Zone

Well, I got into the Stones gig last night - paid £140 for a £326 ticket. I won't go into all the gory details (already posted them on IORR).

The concert itself was superb - the Sunday night reviews had already primed me to expect a great show, and they delivered. Mick Taylor, who I had never seen before, was the revelation, absolutely brilliant, or more than held his own again Clapton, who had been up with them earlier that evening.

Keith is playing a lot better than in 2007, when he seemed to be in cruise mode. I really did think the 'fall from the tree' and done serious damage, brain surgery to remove a blood clot is no laughing matter, no matter how dismissive he was of it at the time. Looks like he's back on track,

Jagger remains the key. He's 20 years older than me, and at least twice as fit - moving around like that at close to 70 years old is remarkable.

Still not sure that's all their own hair, but prepared to cut them some slack!

Led Zeppelin destroys The Stones in live performance, both in pinnacle and senior years.

And Page is a much better live gutiarist than Richards.

Geezer...your comment was doing through my mind during the gig. I've got to admit when I first read it, it came over as totally over the top; I mean, these guys virtually invented the rock gig as we know and love it. However...

No matter how great last night was - although I might not put in in quite the same terms - the three Led Zeppelin gigs I saw were certainly an order of magnitude better than any Stones gig I've seen.