Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

Edit to say: Glad that you have that high of an opinion of yourself, seriously - not being sarcastic. Do you have any video of your playing skills?

I've played with better guitarist's than Page. What of it? Are you thin skins sitting down? I've come up with ways of doing "In The Evening" and "Nobody's Fault But Mine" with a slight variation to that of Led Zeppelin's versions but still in the same style that I think is a harder sound than Jimmy's wang bar on the former and whatever the effect is he uses on the latter. Part of my trick is using a slide.

OK, bring on the personal insults!

Edited by Walter

Edit to say: Glad that you have that high of an opinion of yourself, seriously - not being sarcastic. Do you have any video of your playing skills?

It's not so much having so high opinion as it is not having so low opinion that I'm offended when someone else does not have the same opinion. If I felt such a need as I've seen here to defend any of my favorite guitarist's, such as Keith Richards for example, I would be busier than the Rolling Stones legal team chasing down bootleg videos on YouTube, if you know what I mean.

And now for something completely different: Has anyone seen the film "Shine a Light" and if so, what did you think? I haven't seen it, and was wondering if it was as bad as some reviewers thought.

I recently rented "Performance" on Netflix, and although it had kind of a stupid plot (especially the ending), parts of it were enjoyable, particularly Mick singing an original song in a fantasy sequence. I'd been meaning to see it since the 70s; Netflix has changed my life...

And now for something completely different: Has anyone seen the film "Shine a Light" and if so, what did you think? I haven't seen it, and was wondering if it was as bad as some reviewers thought.

I recently rented "Performance" on Netflix, and although it had kind of a stupid plot (especially the ending), parts of it were enjoyable, particularly Mick singing an original song in a fantasy sequence. I'd been meaning to see it since the 70s; Netflix has changed my life...

"Shine a Light" is typical phone-it-in for the masses Stones circa the 2000s. Not a very essential document. Certainly not as essential viewing as "Charlie Is My Darling" or "Crossfire Hurricane".

Regarding "Performance", the song Jagger sings is "Memo From Turner", a version of which Jimmy Page played on that appears on the "Metamorphosis" album. Jack Nitzsche deserves much of the credit for the music in "Performance".

I happen to like the movie, ending and all, and get a kick out of seeing a young, beautiful, pre-heroin-ravaged Anita Pallenberg romp in the tub with that French cutie-pie(can't remember her name). The film apparently disturbed James Fox very much.

"Shine a Light" is typical phone-it-in for the masses Stones circa the 2000s. Not a very essential document. Certainly not as essential viewing as "Charlie Is My Darling" or "Crossfire Hurricane".

Regarding "Performance", the song Jagger sings is "Memo From Turner", a version of which Jimmy Page played on that appears on the "Metamorphosis" album. Jack Nitzsche deserves much of the credit for the music in "Performance".

I happen to like the movie, ending and all, and get a kick out of seeing a young, beautiful, pre-heroin-ravaged Anita Pallenberg romp in the tub with that French cutie-pie(can't remember her name). The film apparently disturbed James Fox very much.

Thanks for the info. Exactly what are "Charlie is My Darling" and "Crossfire Hurricane"? Also, pardon my ignorance, but is "Metamorphosis" a Stones album? I'm not familiar with it.

I liked the fact Anita Pallenberg didn't shave her armpits or wax her "bikini area" and just has European fun with all three of them...why did the film disturb James Fox? I thought he gave a pretty good performance in it...wonder what happened to his career afterward? btw I'm not totally sure Anita Pallenberg was heroin-free at that time...she looked pretty skinny to me.

One thing I don't like about "Shine a Light" is that whenever they show a close-up of one of the musicians the sound of that instrument is then brought up in the mix. There is a certain phony aspect about the movie such as when Keith gives Buddy Guy his guitar at the end of "Champagne and Reefer", it's not Keith's main guitar (Gibson ES 355) it's a look alike. But the movie isn't as phony as The Stones At The Max. In At The Max, in addition bringing up the sound in the mix of the musician in the close-up, the close-ups were shot later and synced in.

Edited by Gospel Zone

There are a ton of guitarists who are technically better than Jimmy, BUT no one plays with his emotion or creativity. That's why he is superior to most players, imo. As for the ragging on Ron Wood, he crushes Keith. I've seen the Stones multiple times live and as much as I love the guy, Keith doesn't offer much in jamming. As a matter of fact, he kinda sucks at solos. He's much more of a riff master. When they are going off, it's Ron Wood who is laying down the sweet spots. Still love the both of them together though. Stones are pretty much always a great show live (except for the 2005 show I went to in Philly. Boring that night!)

On a separate note, they have lowered the prices for lower section seats in Philly. They were $280 (with all the fees) and they are now $180 (with all the fees). Lots of seats are available too. Might grab a pair to one of the two shows there.

Thanks for the info. Exactly what are "Charlie is My Darling" and "Crossfire Hurricane"? Also, pardon my ignorance, but is "Metamorphosis" a Stones album? I'm not familiar with it.

I liked the fact Anita Pallenberg didn't shave her armpits or wax her "bikini area" and just has European fun with all three of them...why did the film disturb James Fox? I thought he gave a pretty good performance in it...wonder what happened to his career afterward? btw I'm not totally sure Anita Pallenberg was heroin-free at that time...she looked pretty skinny to me.

CHARLIE IS MY DARLING and CROSSFIRE HURRICANE are two excellent Stones documentaries that have been released(in theatres and on home video) recently.

"Charlie Is My Darling" was filmed on the Rolling Stones 1965 Irish tour just as "Satisfaction" was hitting the radio charts and increasing the band's popularity. The Stones manager at the time, the great Andrew Loog Oldham, hired a film crew to follow the band around on the tour, with the possibility of having a documentary shown on British TV. In light of the Beatles success with "Hard Days Night", Oldham also wanted the band to start getting used to film cameras and being comfortable in front of the camera in case any deals for a feature film came their way.

"Charlie Is My Darling" was around on bootleg video for years in various lengths and quality. I bought my VHS copy in the late-80's. It is priceless viewing for Rolling Stones fans because it shows the band before they became giants...they were on the cusp of greatness here, and Brain Jones was still a functioning part of the band(unlike his somnambulatory appearance in Godard's "One Plus One"("Sympathy for the Devil"). Here the band are on the train, in hotel rooms, backstage, on the streets of Ireland, joking around and having fun like regular blokes.

It is also essential viewing, especially for later Stones fans, for it is a corrective for people who think Ron Wood and Darryl Jones have always been with the Stones. This goes back to the original band that shook the world...you think Robert Plant was in danger because of that one stage jumper in South America last year? Check out the mania the Stones receive from the Irish crowds!!!

You even see Ian Stewart(the Stu from Led Zeppelin's "Boogie with Stu") in the footage. Here's the trailer for the film:

Like I said, it's available on DVD now in various editions: regular, blu-ray, deluxe and super deluxe.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rolling-Stones-Charlie-Darling/dp/B009186JNO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370554781&sr=8-2&keywords=charlie+is+my+darling

As for "Crossfire Hurricane", this was made to coincide with the Rolling Stones 50th anniversary last year, and was premiered in theatres and on HBO.

Trailer:

It's now on DVD and Blu-ray.

http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stones-Crossfire-Hurricane-Blu-Ray/dp/B00BQTLVUM/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1370554959&sr=1-2&keywords=crossfire+hurricane

I just remembered I posted a small review of "Crossfire Hurricane" and "Charlie Is My Darling" last year...I'll repost it here:

"Crossfire Hurricane" is a must-see...we watched it Thanksgiving night after dinner, as a friend loaned us his DVD screener copy. Great footage and interesting comments from the participants. Best part is that it's wall to wall historical footage with either music or the comments on the audio. None of that boring "talking heads" crap...lots of unreleased stuff from the footage Robert Frank filmed on the 1972 tour. If you've seen "Cocksucker Blues", you know very little actual concert footage was used. Two thumbs up! Catch it on HBO or get the DVD for sure! Too bad there isn't a documentary like this for Led Zeppelin.

Even better than "Crossfire Hurricane" is "Charlie Is My Darling", a rollicking and wild account of their 1965 tour of Ireland. I've had a bootleg VHS of "Charlie is My Darling" since the 80s...got it for $5 at a swap meet. Even in a high-generation blurry dub version, it was amazing. But to see it in a crisp, digitally remastered print at the American Cinematheque's 60-foot screen was beyond awesome!!!

YOU SIMPLY MUST SEE THIS MOVIE!!! Whether you are a Stones fan or not, it is essential just to see the beginnings of the Stones mania, and how wild and crazy the early Brian Jones-era Stones concerts were. People got their panties in a twist over what happened to Plant in Brazil recently. Ha! Wait til you see the unbridled teen chaos the Stones unleashed on this '65 tour!

This film is also valuable for seeing the comraderie between the guys...especially amongst Mick and Keef and Andrew Loog Oldham. There's priceless footage of the guys getting drunk and taking the piss on the Beatles and Elvis Presley. There's also a scene where you see Keith and Mick hashing out what would become "Sitting on a Fence". It is these scenes that make it more clear how and why Brian Jones eventually became less essential and estranged from the band he created.

I mentioned Andrew Loog Oldham. He is still, in my opnion, a very unsung figure of the 60s and even among Stones fans he seems to get overlooked or taken for granted. For example, I don't think he is accorded nearly the praise and respect that Brian Epstein gets as the Beatles' manager. But he was a very shrewd and dapper fellow...and funny, too. As a child growing up in the 60s listening to my dad's Rolling Stones albums, my first exposure to Andrew Loog Oldham was through his fascinating and sometimes barmy liner notes he wrote for those early albums. December's children indeed.

But in "Charlie Is My Darling" you really get a sense of how important a role Andrew played in shepherding the Stones through the 60s and how attuned he was to what was happening in society and how to play the Stones against the Beatles.

For "Charlie Is My Darling", two thumbs extremely high up!

After the screening, the Cinematheque showed an interview with Andrew conducted by Dave Grohl that is part of the bonus material on the dvd. Sad to say, Dave is out of his depth in this interview and nothing of note is revealed.

I would suggest watching "Charlie..." first, then "Crossfire...". But both of these Stones documentaries need to be seen by anyone who is a fan of rock and roll. And if you have a family member or friend who is a Stones fan, make sure these two dvds are under their Christmas tree.

METAMORPHOSIS

Metamorphosis75.jpg

"Metamorphosis" is a 1975 compilation album of outtakes, alternative versions, and unreleased songs from the Rolling Stones London/Decca years. By this time, the band had split with manager/vampire Allen Klein and ABKCO Records and were making records for Atlantic under their own Rolling Stones Records imprint. To cash in on the Stones, who were undertaking a huge Tour of America that summer of 1975, Allen Klein released "Metamorphosis" on the very same day that the Stones released their own latest greatest hits compilation, "Made In the Shade"...June 6, 1975. Exactly 38 years ago today.

Jimmy Page plays on two of the tracks on the album; "Heart of Stone" and an early version of "Memo From Turner", different than the one used in the movie "Performance". Although it was clearly a cash-grab by the venal Mr. Klein, it is still worth having for the Stevie Wonder cover "I Don't Know Why".

When all the London/Decca Rolling Stones albums were remastered for cd release in 2002 for their 40th anniversary, "Metamorphosis" was included for the first time on cd...and in the 16-track British version, not the shorter 14-track US edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Metamorphosis-The-Rolling-Stones/dp/B00006AW2F

Lastly, to your question about James Fox. It seems the experience of making "Performance" and hanging out with people like Mick and Anita, not to mention the film's directors(Donald Cammell and Nicolas Roeg), coupled with the death of his father, caused James Fox to have a nervous breakdown and question the direction his life was going. He gave up acting and "found god" and disappeared for a good number of years. I don't think he started acting again until the 1980s.

Thanks so much for all this info! I will check out the two films. (maybe not Metamorphosis, as I already have a number of Stones albums, including Made in the Shade).

To think some women don't think Jagger is sexy...I know heterosexual MEN who are turned on by him!

Here's a bit of trivia about the Metamorphosis album, which you may like Scarlet. One of the songs, "Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind", was later recorded by Vashti Bunyan, with Jimmy Page on guitar during his period working for Immediate Records.

Nice closeup of Charlie's kit,and:

Tonight the Rolling Stones played their only night in Montreal to a sold out crowd.

The band were joined by Arcade Fire’s Win Butler for ‘The Last Time’, which he had previously played with Mick on last year’s Saturday Night Live. Mick Taylor played guitar on ‘Midnight Rambler’ and ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’. Les Choeurs des Petits Chanteurs de Laval accompanied the band on ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want’.

http://www.rollingstones.com/2013/06/10/bell-centre-montreal-june-9-setlist/

post-1183-0-90891600-1370835461_thumb.jp

There are a ton of guitarists who are technically better than Jimmy, BUT no one plays with his emotion or creativity. That's why he is superior to most players, imo. As for the ragging on Ron Wood, he crushes Keith. I've seen the Stones multiple times live and as much as I love the guy, Keith doesn't offer much in jamming. As a matter of fact, he kinda sucks at solos. He's much more of a riff master. When they are going off, it's Ron Wood who is laying down the sweet spots. Still love the both of them together though. Stones are pretty much always a great show live (except for the 2005 show I went to in Philly. Boring that night!)

On a separate note, they have lowered the prices for lower section seats in Philly. They were $280 (with all the fees) and they are now $180 (with all the fees). Lots of seats are available too. Might grab a pair to one of the two shows there.

It's not always as much as how well they play it as it is what they choose to play, such as what Ron plays on "Jumpin' Jack Flash", (the same thing over and over), give it a break. And in the case of his attempts at covering what Mick Taylor did in the past such as the solo on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", Ron got a great tone but couldn't seem to find all the notes. On "Monkey Man" Woody comes off as a legend in his own mind as his doesn't do the original justice. And who did the slide on the Let It Bleed version anyway....was it Ry Cooder or Keith? Ron Wood has impressed me as not being able to play some very simple things such as the riff on "Bitch" and could he even play the rhythm part of the '69 tour version of "Sympathy For The Devil"? As for Keith these days, he is no longer Mr Cool.

The Rolling Stones Claim 'Fans Don't Want A New Album' As Hyde Park Tickets Go On Sale

The band won't be making an album any time soon

The Rolling Stones have revealed that despite reuniting for a series of concerts celebrating their 50th anniversary, they are not planning to release any new music.

Mick Jagger has suggested that he does not believe that fans will want to hear new music live and have paid to hear the band play their classics.

stones.jpg

The Rolling Stones announce their 2005 world tour in New York City (Darla Khazei/WENN)

Speaking to USA Today, Jagger said: “It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage. They glumly look at you. 'Ok, it will be over in a minute' It's not a godd excuse but the truth has to be said.”

The band last released new material with their previous 2012 collection, greatest hits album 'Grrr!' which featured two brand new songs.

Guitarist Keith Richards has said that he hopes his band mate will re consider. He added: “The time to record a band is once they've been on the road a while so they're hot. We'll think about that while we're doing this tour. The world needs more Stones records. So do I.”

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/111346/The-Rolling-Stones-Claim-Fans-Dont-Want-A-New-Album-As-Hyde-Park-Tickets-Go-On-Sale

After the high point that was the second night at Staples Center...Mick Taylor for 4 songs; "Sway", "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", AND "Midnight Rambler" in the set...I see by perusing the setlists from Toronto and Chicago and Montreal that the Stones have gone back to their chintzy ways. Mick has been used for only two, maybe three, songs(usually "Midnight Rambler" and "Satisfaction"). There have been times where they've let him play "Sway" or "CYHMK" but never both on the same night.

I know friends going to tonight's Boston Garden show and I'm hoping the Stones break out of their routine and give the folks a great setlist. You've got Mick Taylor...USE HIM. Why play Gimmie Shelter, Dead Flowers, Street Fighting Man and keep Mick Taylor on the bench?

The Stones charged an arm and a leg for tickets and most of the people I spoke to at the shows said they paid the price mainly for the chance to see Mick Taylor play with the Stones. Most of these people were born too late to have seen them in 1969 or 1972.

I'd say go for it Wolfman. The show I saw in L.A. was easily the best they've been in years...the Wiltern in 2002 and the LA Coliseum in 1989 are the only ones in the past 25 years that come close. This is most likely your last chance to see Mick Taylor play with the Stones. Even if it's only for two or three songs, it's worth it...especially if you're lucky and get either "Sway" or "CYHMK" in the set.

Hey Strider, I'm going next Friday night. The only reason I'm going is to hopefully hear CYHMK. I've seen them four times before and it's the only Stones song I haven't heard live and it's my favorite one. Btw, I did do the PPV last Dec. so I know how good this show is going to be. :superman: