Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

That's boring. James Brown is boring. He along with Otis Redding and Jimi Hendrix he would do something that would get a response from the audience and then would do it over and over.

What an ignorant and possibly racist statement. Yeah, Mick Jagger never did something to get a response from the audience and repeat it when it was successful. Yeah, right. Gimme a break.

Edited by Strider

What an ignorant and possibly racist statement. Yeah, Mick Jagger never did something to get a response from the audience and repeat it when it was successful. Yeah, right. Gimme a break.

Mick Jagger does his thing and moves on. Brown and Redding do it, run off the stage, then come back and do it again, run off the stage again, come back again..... They are sort of like a woman trying to be seductive who doesn’t quite have what it takes to pull it off. As for Hendrix, I agree with Bill Graham, who told him he forgot to play.

Getting back to the subject, before we were so rudely interrupted by the PC sheep(no offence to shepherds and/or their herds), If James Brown was so great, why didn’t he become the concert draw that the Stones did? And the audience seems to be quite taken by the Stones when they do follow Brown on the T.A.M.I. show. I don't see where they had anything to worry about.

I wouldn't place too much importance on the audience for the T.A.M.I. show as that was a time when phony hysteria was all the rage a concerts.

As for being "possibly racist"…..you said it, not me......without further explanation of this possibility I can only guess where you're coming from. Does anybody think this could also be possibly sexist? And, while you're getting yer ya yas out for the lynching, don't forget about the specieist comment I made about the sheep. That's sure to get me run in on a hate crime charge.

I'm not sure which one gets the Everybody Got To Go! award for this one.......is it Strider or zepofile?

Edited by Gospel Zone

Mick Jagger does his thing and moves on. Brown and Redding do it, run off the stage, then come back and do it again, run off the stage again, come back again..... They are sort of like a woman trying to be seductive who doesn’t quite have what it takes to pull it off. As for Hendrix, I agree with Bill Graham, who told him he forgot to play.

Getting back to the subject, before we were so rudely interrupted by the PC sheep(no offence to shepherds and/or their herds), If James Brown was so great, why didn’t he become the concert draw that the Stones did? And the audience seems to be quite taken by the Stones when they do follow Brown on the T.A.M.I. show. I don't see where they had anything to worry about.

I wouldn't place too much importance on the audience for the T.A.M.I. show as that was a time when phony hysteria was all the rage a concerts.

As for being "possibly racist"…..you said it, not me......without further explanation of this possibility I can only guess where you're coming from. Does anybody think this could also be possibly sexist? And, while you're getting yer ya yas out for the lynching, don't forget about the specieist comment I made about the sheep. That's sure to get me run in on a hate crime charge.

I'm not sure which one gets the Everybody Got To Go! award for this one.......is it Strider or zepofile?

I have found that the "PC" accusation is a convenient tag for rude people to hide behind. I have no problem with iconoclastic thinking and being different from the norm. I'm in the minority on many issues. Trying to label me as one of the 'PC sheep' is laughable. There is a difference, however, in individualistic thinking and in just saying outrageous stuff to get a rise out of people, which is how your post registered.

You're the one who listed three black performers; one of whom, Jimi Hendrix, had a performing style dissimilar to the other two. I do think it is telling that given the fact that you could name any number of white performers who do the same thing, you chose to list three black guys. Three gentlemen who don't need our approval one way or the other. They already have the respect and love of the only people that matters in this regard: their peers in the music world. They are all LEGEND...and nothing you or I say will change that fact.

As for your assumption that James Brown wasn't a great concert draw, the historical record shows he did all right in that regard. So what if he didn't tour endlessly in enormous football stadiums? Many great artists don't. Listen to any of the "Live at the Apollo" records, or one of my personal faves, "Love Power Peace: Live at the Olympia, Paris, 1971" and the proof of his greatness as a live performer is there.

Mick Jagger would be the first to tell you that, himself.

I have found that the "PC" accusation is a convenient tag for rude people to hide behind. I have no problem with iconoclastic thinking and being different from the norm. I'm in the minority on many issues. Trying to label me as one of the 'PC sheep' is laughable. There is a difference, however, in individualistic thinking and in just saying outrageous stuff to get a rise out of people, which is how your post registered.

You're the one who listed three black performers; one of whom, Jimi Hendrix, had a performing style dissimilar to the other two. I do think it is telling that given the fact that you could name any number of white performers who do the same thing, you chose to list three black guys. Three gentlemen who don't need our approval one way or the other. They already have the respect and love of the only people that matters in this regard: their peers in the music world. They are all LEGEND...and nothing you or I say will change that fact.

As for your assumption that James Brown wasn't a great concert draw, the historical record shows he did all right in that regard. So what if he didn't tour endlessly in enormous football stadiums? Many great artists don't. Listen to any of the "Live at the Apollo" records, or one of my personal faves, "Love Power Peace: Live at the Olympia, Paris, 1971" and the proof of his greatness as a live performer is there.

Mick Jagger would be the first to tell you that, himself.

I listed three performers. You listed three black performers. Do you think those three guys are so great, so perfect, that the only reason a person would not dig what they are doing is because that person is a racist? I'm not about to ponder the situation and come up with some white guys who fit in with this so I can be PC. That would be racist. I came up with three of the obvious performers who came to mind. The reason Jimi Hendrix came to mind was because I once read an interview with Jack Bruce who said the same thing about Jimi.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt about James Brown doing alright as a concert draw, but the Stones did alright as far as impressing the crowd at the T.A.M.I. show. The Stones, especially Mick and Keith looked very confident in their performance. I say this myth about the Stones being worried about following James Brown is just that, a myth....and the original post here on the subject was most exaggerated write up that I have ever seen on the subject.

Edited by Gospel Zone

The writer for The Telegraph suggests Glastonbury could be their last ever performance, but with these guys you can never count them out.

Mick tweeted: “Can’t wait to play Glastonbury. I have my wellies and my yurt!”

Keith said: “We all had such a ball last year, and the energy between the band is so good. We can’t wait to play Glastonbury, see you on a summer’s day in England!”

NEW YORK — Call it satisfaction: The Rolling Stones have announced a nine-city tour.

The veteran rockers said Wednesday their "50 and Counting" tour will kick off in Los Angeles at the Staples Center. The date will be announced later.

The second show is in Oakland, Calif., on May 5. The tour will also visit San Jose, Calif.; Las Vegas; Anaheim, Calif.; Toronto; Chicago; and Boston. The tour wraps June 18 in Philadelphia.

Tickets for Oakland, San Jose, Toronto and Chicago go on sale April 8. Ticket sales for the other cities will be announced later.

The band will also headline the Glastonbury Festival on June 29 and will perform at London's Hyde Park on July 6.

___

NEW YORK — Call it satisfaction: The Rolling Stones have announced a nine-city tour.

The veteran rockers said Wednesday their "50 and Counting" tour will kick off in Los Angeles at the Staples Center. The date will be announced later.

The second show is in Oakland, Calif., on May 5. The tour will also visit San Jose, Calif.; Las Vegas; Anaheim, Calif.; Toronto; Chicago; and Boston. The tour wraps June 18 in Philadelphia.

Tickets for Oakland, San Jose, Toronto and Chicago go on sale April 8. Ticket sales for the other cities will be announced later.

The band will also headline the Glastonbury Festival on June 29 and will perform at London's Hyde Park on July 6.

___

Zeppelin boys, take note. A "tour" can be short and sweet - 10 American cities with one date each and a couple of UK shows, done!

50 & COUNTING US & CANADA TOUR DATES

TBA Los Angeles STAPLES Center TBA

May 5 Oakland Oracle Arena On sale April 8 @ 10AM PST

May 8 San Jose HP Pavilion On sale April 8 @ 10AM PST

May 11 Las Vegas MGM Grand Garden Arena TBA

May 15 Anaheim Honda Center TBA

May 25 Toronto Air Canada Centre On sale April 8 @ 10AM EST

May 28 Chicago United Center On sale April 8 @ 10AM CST

June 12 Boston TD Garden TBA

June 18 Philadelphia Wells Fargo Center TBA

The band will also play London’s Hyde Park on Saturday, July 6 following a headlining appearance at UK’s Glastonbury Festival on June 29.

Edited by 2bitnogoodjive

Well, I've lined up a 'cheap' GA ticket for Hyde Park (£110 including fees).

FYI it's very likely that more dates will be added in the US, and another London gig on July 13th.

I have a suspicion that 50 and counting could run intermittently for quite a while, in the same hit-and-run manner that McCartney has adopted over the past few years.

P.S. for really 'beyond ridiculous' prices, check out Viagogo:

http://www.viagogo.co.uk/Concert-Tickets/Rock-and-Pop/Rolling-Stones-Tickets/E-535074

Lee, we have a ticket selling site over here called Stubhub. I will check in to see what the tickets are selling on there - I'm sure it'll be over the top!

Are you still in the city limits with your 'cheap' GA tickets at Hyde Park? :lol:

Yeah, I think stubhub is part of the eBay empire. They are all the same as far as I'm concerned, just use them for last minute purchases when the price drops like a stone.

I waited until the very last minute to score a ticket for the Stones O2 gig last year from Seatwave, and bought a £326 ticket for £140....got to my seat two minutes before the band came on stage.

From what I can see of the chart, the view from the front of the GA area should be perfectly acceptable, just need to roll up really early and sit through a load of bands I've never heard of. I've taken a bit of a moral stance on this, I just refuse to pay two or three hundred quid to stand in a field, especially since it cost me £150 in 2007 to get second and third row seats at the O2. No point complaining about it, they know their market very well, and are able to charge these silly prices because there are people out there that are willing to pay whatever it takes to see them. I believe July 6th is sold out...just hope there are not too many that go into panic mode and buy from these 'legal tout' sites before finding out they add another gig the following week.