Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

Yeah Bitch is great, too bad Keith can't play the leads nearly as well anymore, he's all over the place. Was cool to see that Mick Taylor played Satisfaction, three guitars make it pretty awesome.

Have you heard the 1981 show MT sat in on, Tom? (15/12/81, Kansas City) He can be hard to hear at times on the soundboard recording but when you can hear Taylor, there's some interesting three way interplay going on. MT played for a good chunk of the show...according to Ron Wood, Keith was not happy about it :lol:

prev38.jpg

Edited by Nutrocker

"Last night the Rolling Stones performed 'Beast Of Burden' with Katy Perry at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas."

The Rolling Stones have gone completely insane. They are butchering their reputation.

Edited by Geezer

"Last night the Rolling Stones performed 'Beast Of Burden' with Katy Perry at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas."

The Rolling Stones have gone completely insane. They are butchering their reputation.

Lady Gaga...Gwen Steffani...Katy Perry...all three guest appearances thus far are the result of that 7.8% of Mick Jagger that has always been decidely uncool to the band's fan base. Whether these appearances really attract new fans or not remains to be seen, but for the die-hards the opinion seems to be it's ruining the bootlegs, if not the legacy.

:lol:

Edited by SteveAJones

Lady Gaga...Gwen Steffani...Katy Perry...all three guest appearances thus far are the result of that 7.8% of Mick Jagger that has always been decidely uncool to the band's fan base. Whether these appearances really attract new fans or not remains to be seen, but for the die-hards the opinion seems to be it's ruining the bootlegs, if not the legacy.

:lol:

:hysterical: Now that was stellar, man, just stellar!

Have you heard the 1981 show MT sat in on, Tom? (15/12/81, Kansas City) He can be hard to hear at times on the soundboard recording but when you can hear Taylor, there's some interesting three way interplay going on. MT played for a good chunk of the show...according to Ron Wood, Keith was not happy about it :lol:

prev38.jpg

Nah I haven't but from what I've read online Taylors guitar wasnt actually plugged into the mixing board so he isn't on the soundboard at all?

Nah I haven't but from what I've read online Taylors guitar wasnt actually plugged into the mixing board so he isn't on the soundboard at all?

Don't know about that, but his amps must have been on as I've read that Keith was upset that Mick Taylor's guitar was so loud at that Kansas City show in 1981.

Well, after much hemming and hawing, it seems me and my friend are going to bite the bullet and try to get tickets for the Stones show Monday at Staples. I'll do my usual routine and line up early for releases. They have released $85 seats...but they're obstructed view seats. Some of the $250 and $300 seats have been slashed to $150, so we might try for those. We're taking my friend's son, which is the main reason we decided to go...this is probably the best chance he'll have to take his son to the Stones. Plus, even if it is only for a few songs, it'll be nice to see Mick Taylor with the band again after 41 years.

The night after the Stones concert, I'm seeing the Black Angels, Wall of Death, and Hanni El Khatib at the Mayan...for $23.

Edited by Strider

No, you can hear him on the soundboard, but ya gotta really listen for him...MT made his presence known on the night in more ways than one (he sat in for most of the show). The theory is that though Taylor wasn't plugged into the board he had his amp cranked so fucking loud that the mikes picked him up just the same :lol: Apparently you can hear him clear as a bell on the much rarer audience tapes.

You should track the show down, it's worth hearing, if for no other reason that it's the closest approximation as to what the late 70's Stones stuff might have sounded like if Taylor had stayed in the band.

As for all the "What the fuck?!"s over Katy Perry sitting in the other night, don't sound too shocked, folks- Jagger has always wanted to come across as being hip (sometimes he even succeeds). At this late date I really wouldn't be surprised if Mick got Justin Beiber to sit in at some point on the tour.

Edited by Nutrocker

As for all the "What the fuck?!"s over Katy Perry sitting in the other night, don't sound too shocked, folks- Jagger has always wanted to come across as being hip (sometimes he even succeeds). At this late date I really wouldn't be surprised if Mick got Justin Beiber to sit in at some point on the tour.

Let's hope Jagger doesn't have Bieber fever. Personally, I'm hoping Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry join them in Chicago and - at some point on this tour - Tina Turner.

Edited by SteveAJones

Personally, I'm hoping Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry join them in Chicago and - at some point on this tour - Tina Turner.

Considering the Stones basically owe their career to Chuck and people like Buddy Guy, they'd better at least pass along an invite, instead of pissing about with Blues pretenders like John Mayer :lol: Even though IMO Buddy Guy blew them off the fucking stage with "Champagne And Reefer" at the Shine A Light shows, maybe Keith and Ronnie wouldn't want that kind of competition...

Isn't Tina Turner more or less 'retired' now? It'd be nice to see her come out of retirement for the Stones, though. Jagger copped a lotta moves from her...

Considering the Stones basically owe their career to Chuck and people like Buddy Guy, they'd better at least pass along an invite, instead of pissing about with Blues pretenders like John Mayer :lol: Even though IMO Buddy Guy blew them off the fucking stage with "Champagne And Reefer" at the Shine A Light shows, maybe Keith and Ronnie wouldn't want that kind of competition...

Isn't Tina Turner more or less 'retired' now? It'd be nice to see her come out of retirement for the Stones, though. Jagger copped a lotta moves from her...

Tina is no longer actively performing, which would make a guest appearance that much more special.

If John Mayer should make another guest appearance anywhere I swear to God I'm taking hostages.

^^^

No shit. I'm so fucking sick of John Mayer.

I'm in line now at the Staples Center box office...been here since 4am...rumours are that the Black Keys will be the special guest tonight. I'd rather Mick Taylor play on more than one song.

I'd rather Mick Taylor play on more than one song.

I still can't believe Taylor agreed to participate in a whole tour, playing only about 12 minutes a night :lol: Nice work if ya can get it, I'm sure, but, Jesus Christ, they can utilize the guy for a lot more than just "Midnight Rambler"...it seems like such a wasted opportunity to me. If the Stones were smart they should have brought MT along on the Licks tour- especially for the Exile or Let It Bleed nights...

When I first heard Exile the first thing I remember was thinking how good the guitar interplay was in each song. I loved the bluesy feel in Sweet Virginia, the sonority in Tumbling Dice and the cool vibe of Rocks Off. I mean, it was so good! But what really struck me was Shine a Light. That song man... such a briliant tune, and Keef doesn't even play on it. When the solo comes, it's just so powerfull and full of emotion, and that's what I like to remember about the Stones. I love everything about that album. How the songs were made and recorded... Just imagine! the best album ever made was recorded in a basement! That oughta knock your socks off!

It's just so good. And then we all heard Goats Head Soup... Such a brilliant album, Coming Down Again has to be played live!!

The period that the Stones had from 1968-1978 beats almost everything that every band put out.

One of my favorite bands, Stones, Beatles and Zeppelin are the greatest.

When I first heard Exile the first thing I remember was thinking how good the guitar interplay was in each song. I loved the bluesy feel in Sweet Virginia, the sonority in Tumbling Dice and the cool vibe of Rocks Off. I mean, it was so good! But what really struck me was Shine a Light. That song man... such a briliant tune, and Keef doesn't even play on it. When the solo comes, it's just so powerfull and full of emotion, and that's what I like to remember about the Stones. I love everything about that album. How the songs were made and recorded... Just imagine! the best album ever made was recorded in a basement! That oughta knock your socks off!

Well...only partly recorded in a basement, to be accurate- when it comes to the Exile sessions, "When the legend becomes fact..." etc- but only some of the basic tracks were recorded at Villefranche; a lot of the recording was actually done at Sunset Sound in LA. The album itself is overdub city, but the band and Andy Johns (RIP) actually worked at getting that classic murky Exile sound. Often imitated, never truly duplicated.

What Exile On Main Street really has in common with basements is that it's the Stones version of Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes- both recordings are a total tribute to their roots and influences, and what seems at first as haphazard and ramshackle arrangements are really quite intricate. And arguably never topped by either artist...

Well...only partly recorded in a basement, to be accurate- when it comes to the Exile sessions, "When the legend becomes fact..." etc- but only some of the basic tracks were recorded at Villefranche; a lot of the recording was actually done at Sunset Sound in LA. The album itself is overdub city, but the band and Andy Johns (RIP) actually worked at getting that classic murky Exile sound. Often imitated, never truly duplicated.

What Exile On Main Street really has in common with basements is that it's the Stones version of Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes- both recordings are a total tribute to their roots and influences, and what seems at first as haphazard and ramshackle arrangements are really quite intricate. And arguably never topped by either artist...

Well yeah you're right about that, Keef said in his book that they had to get black chicks to sing here and there when they were laying a few overdubs later in LA,

but my point was that most of the times simplicity is the key, they have very complex guitar parts and riffs here and there that aren't just a happy occasion. I like to imagine that every sound and aspect of that album was thought hard about. Keith and Mick made the best duo in the rock history (guitar playing-wise) and since we're are on the subject I'd like to add that keith is a briliant guitar player, he may not be able to play solos as well as m.t. but he sure knew how to lead a song in the right way and create a unique sound.

Edited by magerogue

Let's hope Jagger doesn't have Bieber fever. Personally, I'm hoping Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry join them in Chicago and - at some point on this tour - Tina Turner.

As nice as it sounds for Chuck to guest, the man can't play at all anymore. As much as I don't really like Mayer him and Gary Clark Jr. cooked on this version of Going Down, Ronnie also plays a very nice solo:

I have followed the Stones. I bought their records and have seen one concert..(1975- Orchard Park NY)...a bus tour went from London Ontario....I still don't believe I went...it was in a stadium..it was very interesting but I did not have much to eat so I was pretty weak by the end of the concert...oh what we do when we are young..

It bothers me when I see the current ticket prices..I would love to see the Stones again but the prices are tooooo much...I feel bad for the average middle class younger fans..who may never get to see this group due to the high cost....of tickets....price of gas....etc

I was bullied and excluded from the clique when i was young because I am a skinny "plain jane"...when I bought a Stones record i felt so empowered..I would be upset over stuff but I just put on tunes like Street Fightin' Man or Sympathy for The Devil and i was ready to take on any bully even if it meant ignoring them and getting on with what really mattered in life...

Thanks Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and Bill...and all the others who were part of the band and team at some point

Juliet xo

WOOHOO! After waiting 14 hours in line, I finally scored 3 tix for $150 each in section 204. A graduation present for my godson. We're heading into Staples Center now after having a nice steak dinner.

This just might be my last Stones show. #21 over the last 41 years.

WOOHOO! After waiting 14 hours in line, I finally scored 3 tix for $150 each in section 204. A graduation present for my godson. We're heading into Staples Center now after having a nice steak dinner.

This just might be my last Stones show. #21 over the last 41 years.

That's the excuse to justify your wanting to see them at least ;)

Well yeah you're right about that, Keef said in his book that they had to get black chicks to sing here and there when they were laying a few overdubs later in LA,

but my point was that most of the times simplicity is the key, they have very complex guitar parts and riffs here and there that aren't just a happy occasion. I like to imagine that every sound and aspect of that album was thought hard about. Keith and Mick made the best duo in the rock history (guitar playing-wise) and since we're are on the subject I'd like to add that keith is a briliant guitar player, he may not be able to play solos as well as m.t. but he sure knew how to lead a song in the right way and create a unique sound.

Yer correct, as Keith also explains in his book, the intricacy of the Stones' guitar parts comes down to recording multiple guitar tracks and then floating them in and out of the mix- not quite Jimmy Page's 'Guitar Army', but along the same lines. And the majority of those multiple guitar tracks are Keith; generally speaking a lot of Woody or Taylor's parts were overdubbed afterwards. In addition to his resume of open tuned riffs and more than a few classic basslines, Keith Richards has an incredible talent for song arrangement, and always has going back to the early Stones albums. Even in his most smacked out days in the seventies, as long as Keith showed up to the session :lol: he always brought his A-game both playing and production wise. Ultimately, the sound of The Rolling Stones is almost entirely Keith Richards' vision.

Allen Klein: "...And which one makes the records?"

Andrew Oldham (pointing at Keith):"He does."

Edited by Nutrocker