Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

When it comes to doing a "big gig" The Rolling Stones have never failed to deliver and Glastonbury was no exception. IMHO, it cemented Mick Jagger's status as the #1 Rock Star in History. The performance Mick gave at Glastonbury at the age of 69 was simply superhuman.

It remains to be seen where this performance will rate in the band's history, but for my money it is easily the best of the 2012-13 era and among their Top 5 best performances from the past 25 years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM51e8Stat8

Edited by SteveAJones

When it comes to doing a "big gig" The Rolling Stones have never failed to deliver

Well...except maybe Altamont :lol: Though I s'pose that may be an exception to the rule given the bad craziness that went on at that show...many people insist that Lynryd Skynrd blew them off the stage at Knebworth in 1976 (although to be fair '76 may have been the worst year for the Stones when it came to live performing, and their Knebworth performance is kinda iffy in places IMO). I seem to recall they more or less phoned in the SARS Benefit gig in Toronto in 2003 as well. Not trying to disagree with ya, Steve, but it seems that there have been a couple of exceptions over the years when it comes to The Stones and 'festival' type performances.

Having said that, though, they kicked ass at Glastonbury yesterday. This whole 50 And Counting tour has been the best they've done in years, but they definitely rose to the occasion at Glastonbury. My wife is nowhere near the diehard Stones fan that I am, and watching the BBC excerpt even she admitted the boys were playing well ("Christ, are they old!" she couldn't resist saying, though :lol: )

Well...except maybe Altamont :lol: Though I s'pose that may be an exception to the rule given the bad craziness that went on at that show...many people insist that Lynryd Skynrd blew them off the stage at Knebworth in 1976 (although to be fair '76 may have been the worst year for the Stones when it came to live performing, and their Knebworth performance is kinda iffy in places IMO). I seem to recall they more or less phoned in the SARS Benefit gig in Toronto in 2003 as well. Not trying to disagree with ya, Steve, but it seems that there have been a couple of exceptions over the years when it comes to The Stones and 'festival' type performances.

Having said that, though, they kicked ass at Glastonbury yesterday. This whole 50 And Counting tour has been the best they've done in years, but they definitely rose to the occasion at Glastonbury. My wife is nowhere near the diehard Stones fan that I am, and watching the BBC excerpt even she admitted the boys were playing well ("Christ, are they old!" she couldn't resist saying, though :lol: )

Yes, by Stones standards their performances at Altamont, Knebworth '76 and SARS-stock were merely average...but still acceptable.

:peace:

This whole 50 And Counting tour has been the best they've done in years, but they definitely rose to the occasion at Glastonbury. My wife is nowhere near the diehard Stones fan that I am, and watching the BBC excerpt even she admitted the boys were playing well ("Christ, are they old!" she couldn't resist saying, though :lol: )

"Well, just goes to show, things are not what they seem".

I'll agree with you Nutrocker and admit that I was going to pass on the tour after watching the poor performance at the Sandy Hurricane victims benefit concert in the fall. But after reading rave reviews here, learning that Mick Taylor would be joining for some songs, and watching some Youtube videos, I changed my mind once the ticket prices dropped a bit. I am so glad that I did! I loved the show, had a wonderful night and got to do something I never thought I would (see Taylor in person). Hearing "Memory Motel" was additional icing.

Sure they are older ;-), but a few of them are still in great shape, namely Jagger and Charlie Watts.

Yes, by Stones standards their performances at Altamont, Knebworth '76 and SARS-stock were merely average...but still acceptable.

:peace:

Oh for sure...I'm inclined to say that even a 'bad' Stones performance is better than a 'bad' Zeppelin performance, even though comparing the two is rather apples and oranges. With all respect to Zeppelin, I don't reckon the Stones have an equivalent to, say, Tempe 20/7/77 in their live history.

Sure they are older ;-), but a few of them are still in great shape, namely Jagger and Charlie Watts.

I reckon all four of them are in good shape for their age...Mick Jagger of course being a freak of nature, no way he looks or moves like he's 69. Charlie...well, he's Charlie Watts, he's always got that droll, unimpressed air about him- god love him, Charlie has always been one of the coolest motherfuckers on the planet. Ronnie looks pretty good- he just got remarried, after all, and is probably laying off the sauce too (lord knows Ron Wood has had his problems with the bottle over the years). As for Keith, he looks alright if still like the Grim Reaper's bastard child :lol: ...though it must be said Keith is looking (and sounding IMO) his age...he also appears to be getting quite the gut on him! Must be all that post-show Shepherd's Pie. I don't think time has been too kind to Mick Taylor, though...he hardly resembles the fresh faced youngster of his Stones' heyday at all (when watching "Midnight Rambler" on the Glastonbury show yesterday, Mrs Nutrocker also said, "That's Mick Taylor?!") But what the fuck, they're still all alive and playing, that's all that matters.

^^^

Excellent pix, Steve...it's good that we have lots of documentation of this historic gig (Jesus, whoulda thunk we'd still be saying 'historic gig' in relation to the Stones at this point in their career?)

^^^

Excellent pix, Steve...it's good that we have lots of documentation of this historic gig (Jesus, whoulda thunk we'd still be saying 'historic gig' in relation to the Stones at this point in their career?)

By the third day of the festival unsure how many attendees still had space left on their memory chips and juice in their batteries but regardless I can't wait to see what the professionals got. I have been in touch with a couple of contacts who claim to have captured a complete, pro-shot 2 1/2 hour performance off the satellite feed. If true that's going to make for an epic bootleg!

Edited by SteveAJones

It being the third day of the festival unsure how many attendees still had space left on their memory chips and juice in their batteries but regardless I can't wait to see what the professionals got. I have been in touch with a couple of contacts who claim to have captured a complete, pro-shot 2 1/2 hour performance off the satellite feed. If true that's going to make for an epic bootleg!

There is a pro shot video torrent hacked from the sattelite feed to the BBC of the full Stones performance on one (up to now) of the Boot sites, It's a huge 15gb file that is being uploaded very slowly. Should have it in about a week. Edited by JTM

This is a link to a 2009 Daily Mail article about Mick Taylor, and how he was very much down on his luck. Pity he wasn't under contract to appear with the Stones at Glastonbury.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1213013/The-Rolling-Stone-whos-stony-broke-Why-Mick-Taylor-lives-rundown-Suffolk-semi-shabby-car.html

...Mick Taylor did perform with them at Glastonbury... :yesnod:

Why Glastonbury belonged to the Rolling Stones

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jul/01/glastonbury-belonged-to-rolling-stones

Rolling Stones Glastonbury Festival Debut Draws

Rave Reviews From Critics

Edited by SteveAJones

Hi SAJ,

Apologies, I haven't watched the footage yet :slapface: and am only now getting round to reading the reviews . I knew Mick T. was under contract to do a certain number of songs at particular US venues, but I assumed he wasn't around this weekend.

The reason I put the DM article on the thread is because I remember reading it when it was first published, and being shocked at how bad MT looked. Back in the '70s, he was a good looking guy. Even Jagger described him as being 'pretty'. Really good guitarist though.

...Mick Taylor did perform with them at Glastonbury... :yesnod:

Hi SAJ,

Apologies, I haven't watched the footage yet :slapface: and am only now getting round to reading the reviews . I knew Mick T. was under contract to do a certain number of songs at particular US venues, but I assumed he wasn't around this weekend.

The reason I put the DM article on the thread is because I remember reading it when it was first published, and being shocked at how bad MT looked. Back in the '70s, he was a good looking guy. Even Jagger described him as being 'pretty'. Really good guitarist though.

No worries. Mick Taylor returning to the fold - albeit in a limited capacity - is clearly the most wonderful subplot of the 50 & Counting tour.

By the third day of the festival unsure how many attendees still had space left on their memory chips and juice in their batteries but regardless I can't wait to see what the professionals got. I have been in touch with a couple of contacts who claim to have captured a complete, pro-shot 2 1/2 hour performance off the satellite feed. If true that's going to make for an epic bootleg!

Ah...i was going to mention that the full show had been uploaded over at hungercity, at least (possibly a few other places) but JTM beat me to it! :lol: EDIT: looks like it's been pulled @ HC, or at least it's not there anymore...

This is a link to a 2009 Daily Mail article about Mick Taylor, and how he was very much down on his luck.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1213013/The-Rolling-Stone-whos-stony-broke-Why-Mick-Taylor-lives-rundown-Suffolk-semi-shabby-car.html

For what it's worth, that article has been written off as pure tabloid quality bullshit, not only among diehard Stones fans on Stones websites (iorr.org, etc) but more importantly by Mick Taylor and his management as well.

Edited by Nutrocker

No worries. Mick Taylor returning to the fold - albeit in a limited capacity - is clearly the most wonderful subplot of the 50 & Counting tour.

Not only the tour, but I think that the idea itself of bringing Mick Taylor again is the best thing the Stones have done in the past 20 years.

Nutrocker,

I certainly didn't know Mick Taylor had criticised the article. I am wondering if he maybe thought more about it, after it had been published. For all we know, maybe the Stones management got in touch with Mick to put over their side of the story. I do know that Bill Wyman has said in the past that the money could have been spread around a bit better.

I am just glad to see Mick Taylor back on stage at a venue size that is worthy of his talents. Plus, it has been good to see him making some money out of these appearances. Here's hoping all goes well for him in the future.

Ah...i was going to mention that the full show had been uploaded over at hungercity, at least (possibly a few other places) but JTM beat me to it! :lol: EDIT: looks like it's been pulled @ HC, or at least it's not there anymore...

For what it's worth, that article has been written off as pure tabloid quality bullshit, not only among diehard Stones fans on Stones websites (iorr.org, etc) but more importantly by Mick Taylor and his management as well.

The Full show was being seeded on Dime, not HC. The uploader has left the building due to uncalled for criticism about the size of the file the .ts format and his slow upload speed and inability to seed 24/7. I just wish some people would keep their mouths' shut and keep their impatience to themselves. There was over 700 downloaders waiting on this magnificent offer, now because of a bunch of morons nobody is now going to complete.