Your Led Zeppelin live recording dreams come true

NealKenneth

:rolleyes: Ok dude...

I hope you don't think I'm ragging on your show! 19 September is a great one, all I'm saying is that I'd be more excited to hear a multi-track from late August. Miracles happen...I was reading earlier today that your show was unearthed around 2003. That had to be a hell of a day! I wonder what other shows are still out there, hiding forgotten in people's basements and attics.

I hope you don't think I'm ragging on your show! 19 September is a great one, all I'm saying is that I'd be more excited to hear a multi-track from late August. Miracles happen...I was reading earlier today that your show was unearthed around 2003. That had to be a hell of a day! I wonder what other shows are still out there, hiding forgotten in people's basements and attics.

haha I know man just giving you a hard time. I would love anything from 70, it's my favorite year!

haha I know man just giving you a hard time. I would love anything from 70, it's my favorite year!

It might just be my favorite as well...they were still staying under two hours per night most of the time, and yet the setlist covered so much territory. Hell, even though we already have Royal Albert Hall from 1970, it wouldn't be much overlap if Page released something from August or September. Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, Since I've Been Loving You, That's the Way, Bron-Yr-Aur, Thank You...NONE of those are on RAH but they formed the backbone of the setlist just seven months later.

I would like to change my answer from Japan 71.

After thinking about this for some time I feel it would be something extra special to be able to listen to one of the 2 known performances of WTLB in a pristine SB or the one performance of Four Stix and Gallows Pole just for the rarity of these songs alone.

I know there are great concerts that I would love to have in SB quality but I think it would serve history better if we had these tracks available. I know they would be in my playlist for ever.

After thinking about this for some time I feel it would be something extra special to be able to listen to one of the 2 known performances of WTLB in a pristine SB or the one performance of Four Stix and Gallows Pole just for the rarity of these songs alone.

I wish they hadn't given up on When The Levee Breaks, but as far as I can tell, none of the times they attempted it went well. For the other two, it sounds like something from European Tour 1971 would scratch your itch.

as far as I can tell, none of the times they attempted it went well.

I have to disagree with you there. I have both versions of WTLB and there is nothing wrong with either. In Chicago Plant's voice is the only real setback due to his cold. I know Jimmy had a bad finger but its not that noticeable. I also have the show with Four Sticks, Gallows Pole along with 29 other recordings from 1971.

Edited by juxtiphi

The quality and quantity of their songs and concerts makes this nearly impossible to pick one or two shows. We keep changing our picks.

Hence why I've stayed out of this discussion to this point :lol:

Hell, Jimmy can have the LA '77 compilation I made...he can put that out any time!

I would like to change my answer from Japan 71.

After thinking about this for some time I feel it would be something extra special to be able to listen to one of the 2 known performances of WTLB in a pristine SB .

Levee sounds pretty cool on the alternative Brussels Vorst Nationalal audience tape, especialy in the drum department. And one of the reasons for this is Vorst National's horrible acoustics in the seventies and eighties. Somehow a dry SB recording wouldn't do justice to the grandeur of that song. Being used to the echoey classic Earl's Court vinyl boot from the mid seventies, I was a slightly dissapointed to hear No Quarter in SB quality in the early nineties. Bonzo's entry after Jonesy's rapsodic piano solo was such a mesmerizing experience on vinyl, the impact on the SB version was considerably less impressive, I think.

This said, I still vote for Japan 1971 as the next logic step in the 'How the West was won' campaign.

Well I'm not sure but I think Joe has Blueberry Hill, maybe Joe can confirm it.

Well I'm not sure but I think Joe has Blueberry Hill, maybe Joe can confirm it.

Yes I have it on vinyl....cost me £4 when it was for sale in Liverpool in 1970 (I think). Unfortunately I foolishly stuck a picture of Jimmy Page on the back cover. It was actually a poster from sounds from 1971 (the one in which he is wearing his "Zoso" shirt and playing the double-neck) looks quite good though. Unfortunately the recording is very tinny and on Dazed and Confused you can hear someone in the crowd asking "What is that?"

Yes I have it on vinyl....cost me £4 when it was for sale in Liverpool in 1970 (I think). Unfortunately I foolishly stuck a picture of Jimmy Page on the back cover. It was actually a poster from sounds from 1971 (the one in which he is wearing his "Zoso" shirt and playing the double-neck) looks quite good though. Unfortunately the recording is very tinny and on Dazed and Confused you can hear someone in the crowd asking "What is that?"

Cheers Joe. I got mine just over the water from you at Skeleton records in Birkenhead, by that time (late 72/early 73) it had gone up to £4,25.

This is easy...

THE LA FORUM RUN OF SIX SHOWS IN JUNE 1977!!!!

Are you kidding me? To have multi-track quality recordings of those Forum shows means 6...SIX!!!...superb-sounding KASHMIRs and ACHILLES LAST STANDs...that's enough reason right there. But throw in all the TSRTS-SAs, NFBMs, SIBLYs, NQs, TYGs, Acoustic sets, and the 5 OTHAFAs with that blazing extended solo as well???? Oh man, can you imagine a professionally recorded and mixed TRSRTS from June 21? What Bonzo's drums would sound like on your stereo? Throw in 2 IMTODs and 3 Trampled Under Foots and that cool "It'll Be Me" encore. Still not convinced?

Well, how about this: Keith Moon on the 23rd!!!!

This is easy...

THE LA FORUM RUN OF SIX SHOWS IN JUNE 1977!!!!

Are you kidding me? To have multi-track quality recordings of those Forum shows means 6...SIX!!!...superb-sounding KASHMIRs and ACHILLES LAST STANDs...that's enough reason right there. But throw in all the TSRTS-SAs, NFBMs, SIBLYs, NQs, TYGs, Acoustic sets, and the 5 OTHAFAs with that blazing extended solo as well???? Oh man, can you imagine a professionally recorded and mixed TRSRTS from June 21? What Bonzo's drums would sound like on your stereo? Throw in 2 IMTODs and 3 Trampled Under Foots and that cool "It'll Be Me" encore. Still not convinced?

Well, how about this: Keith Moon on the 23rd!!!!

And I will take a side of BCW / BYAS to go please....

Yep, this would be the alpha & omega for me as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mobile 73. If it's like the rest of the show, a classic. And 3/12/75 - we already know the rough recording is a great performance. And since this is a magic vault, I'll ask the genie to make Seattle 3/21/75 and LA 6/22/77 a soundboard. Since my genie will like the music, she'll throw in a completely unknown show from her favorite year.

Nice post.

• 3 months later...

Jimmy Page announces the release of a new Led Zeppelin album

Previously believed not to have been professionally recorded, this incredible performance was secretly captured on 24 tracks and is of the highest quality. To preserve historical value, the full show (warts and all) will be released without any cuts, fading in three minutes before the first note of warmups and fading out three minutes past the last "Goodnight!"

Your dream has come true! What show is it and why did you choose this show?

When asked if this would be the last live release by Led Zeppelin, Jimmy said he might dive back into the vaults one day to make a compilation of nearby nights (like How the West Was Won), but did not indicate which run it would be.

You can scarcely believe it! What neighboring shows would you most want to hear compiled into one amazing performance? Earls Court? LA 1977?

Let me know below! I am curious to know what are people's "holy grails" of Led Zeppelin live.

Earls Court 1975

Carnegie Hall 1969 Carnegie Hall 1969 Carnegie Hall 1969

boy it sounds like you really want an official release of Tempe '77. :D