Tom Petty Died of drug overdose

kipper

4 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

fentanyl? As in the Purple Prince?

Indeed Andy. Petty was touring with a full on broken hip which caused excruciating pain which resulted in the prescription meds. If he only would have just stopped and had the surgery he would likely still be alive. I am all for the show must go on but not when the cost may be your life.

7 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Yes. Legal prescription drugs. Familiar ring to it?

He abused them and  sadly died. Its not like they don't come with instructions about what not to do. Drain cleaner is legal but if you use a bunch in a closed room you can get really sick.

Unlike some, I'll never begrudge Tom Petty for inadvertently overdosing on prescription meds. The guy was still touring at 67 and had a broken hip that caused him excruciating pain. This is quite a bit different than getting zonked out of one's mind for the sake of getting high.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Unlike some, I'll never begrudge Tom Petty for inadvertently overdosing on prescription meds. The guy was still touring at 67 and had a broken hip that caused him excruciating pain. This is quite a bit different than getting zonked out of one's mind for the sake of getting high.

I agree Steve, though the fact Petty kept touring under such outrageous conditions is kind fucking insane. I loved Petty's music and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy, but jumping up on stage night after night with a broken hip is downright crackers.

Some musicians don't feel alive unless they hit the road often enough. Just like many musicians need to touch and play

their instrument often. This isn't an excuse to recklessly party, but in the Vietnam war, for example, many soldiers

took morphine for injuries or just to cope, yet in fact when most of the non-injured soldiers came home, most

may have had mild withdrawal or little difficulty stopping use. Many don't realize for some ailments there is no

satisfactory substitute for opiates, addicts with intractable pain conditions go into and out of rehab, and no pain

relief means a miserable existence. What a shame about Petty, I thought he had periods of some drinking a while

back and some pot here and there. I don't condone opiates, but some people think you can change your diet, get

acupuncture,  meditate, change your thinking, etc., and eliminate 3/4 of the pain. Sometimes, but this is an overly

simplistic view of things. Just like Jimmy Page, although there certainly is a partying aspect there, But Jimmy was 

never really consistently healthy looking, and even before  the 77' and forward skeleton, Jimmy on the same tour

would often get a slight belly yet 2 weeks later have it vanish. Jimmy couldn't eat solid food often, and perhaps

used coke partially because he may well have needed it to get thru live shows. Speculation, who knows for sure.

I love Tom Petty and will always cherish his music and will never forget the show I was at a few years ago, but having all those drugs in his system is just irresponsible.

"The coroner, Jonathan Lucas, said that Mr. Petty’s system showed traces of the drugs fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl."

When the pain gets to this point, he should have postponed the tour. I understand how expensive and how much a logistical nightmare it is to postpone/reschedule the dates, but ones life isn't worth the risk to continue on is this manner. This is such a tragic end that was avoidable. 

1 hour ago, timothy5151 said:

I love Tom Petty and will always cherish his music and will never forget the show I was at a few years ago, but having all those drugs in his system is just irresponsible.

"The coroner, Jonathan Lucas, said that Mr. Petty’s system showed traces of the drugs fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl."

When the pain gets to this point, he should have postponed the tour. I understand how expensive and how much a logistical nightmare it is to postpone/reschedule the dates, but ones life isn't worth the risk to continue on is this manner. This is such a tragic end that was avoidable. 

I appreciated Petty's chilled attitude and music to reflect.

That is some cocktail. temazepam, alprazolam - Not for pain.

Temazepam is for calm/to help you stay asleep without waking up and staying awake half the friggin' night. Alprazolam is for anxiety again as is the Temazepam. But never should the twain meet. They probably didn't. But with the combination of everything combined, and touring, the poor guy's heart just couldn't take it.

18 hours ago, redrum said:

At least he made to 67 instead of 27.

Good post! Very true, Red.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

A lot of people don't know this, and are often surprised to find out, but Tom Petty secretly struggled with heroin in the 1990s.

Petty was an addict so he should have never been using these prescription drugs either.

Ill put this out there (and myself I guess).  I take certain PDs after a climbing accident broke my back in 5 places.  I'm no Tom Petty but I understand the predicament.  I've done drugs I said years ago I would never touch but here I am doing the same type things he was.  They are dangerous to be sure but if done as prescribed and if you don't have 4 doctors giving you a bunch of dangerous shit it should be fine.  It's a fine line when you're juggling a bunch of narcotics at the same time and it really is a matter of time if abused.  

On 1/21/2018 at 4:30 AM, SteveAJones said:

He was also a mammal trying to negotiate life with a broken hip, so what do you suggest?

oh ... I don't know... how about

1. Not abuse prescription drugs

2. Not use multiple doctors (if 1 doctor prescribed 3 types/forms of fentanyl plus oxycodone then they need to be investigated).

3. Not tour when in such pain/condition. (contractual obligation and fans are not worth your life).

Tom Petty's family and every news agency used the word "accidental".  Kipper chose to delete that word simply for his own forum shit-stirring purposes, even though it's used in the very link he posted. So any speculation on who arose from the forum dead ?   Del ?  Spats ?  

.....and get that dead salty-ass fish off my bagel !  

1 hour ago, Bong-Man said:

Tom Petty's family and every news agency used the word "accidental".  Kipper chose to delete that word simply for his own forum shit-stirring purposes, even though it's used in the very link he posted. So any speculation on who arose from the forum dead ?   Del ?  Spats ?  

.....and get that dead salty-ass fish off my bagel !  

Funny that BM. I also smell something fishy. 

• 3 months later...

I didn't know how Mr. Petty died but was saddened when he passed away. I found this thread and now I know what happened. "Fishy" is right. I was hospitalized at that same hospital and it was an atrocious experience to say the least. The shadiest health practitioners I ever saw. The whole thing had really bad vibes. RIP Tom Petty.

• 3 months later...
On 5/24/2018 at 6:12 AM, Zepfan2001 said:

I didn't know how Mr. Petty died but was saddened when he passed away. I found this thread and now I know what happened. "Fishy" is right. I was hospitalized at that same hospital and it was an atrocious experience to say the least. The shadiest health practitioners I ever saw. The whole thing had really bad vibes. RIP Tom Petty.

i think he died because of his drug use not the fault of the hospital

Archived