Best live version of The Rain Song

Old Man

I really like the October 3rd  1972  version on japan .   Instrumentally there are better  versions but this one is my favorite simply because plant hits all  the high  notes  of the studio version .  I also really like. The one from  Seattle 73 when  jones as had to switch  to  piano  because the  melotron broke down   st Louis 75 is another one I really like .

Edited by Adam Ryan watson

18 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

#1 - Earl's Court 5/24...

Also, some really great ones from the 79-80 years with the synths instead of the mellotron--might start with the first Copenhagen show...

Really like the one from the 2nd knebworth show . Plant gives  what I think is his best  vocal for that song  post 73.  I really enjoy the 2nd knebworth show despite it being quite rough  instrumentally . Plant gives  a very strong vocal performance  from start to finish   I think it's one of his   best post 72

The challenge here is with minor exceptions Jimmy and Bonzo are pretty much staying with a script, the usual improvisation

would not advance the song, Of course this is the mark of master musicians. On the other hand, Plant has more leeway, but

even his "ad-limbs" fit and add more depth to the song. And JPJ, with the keys, mellotron, and later synths, probably had the

most freedom with changing the arrangement....although just a bit. My fave is the TSRTS 7/28 one, although I've never heard

a bad version. Interesting that even the 80' Europe tour had damn good renditions of this song.

Bonzo throws in some of his best fills and drum work when this song kicks off in the rock section.  And I just can't ever get enough of his use of his tymp blasts in this song.  Love Seattle 73.  Bonzo's performance probably makes this one my favorite version.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:24 AM, LedElvis75 said:

And just listen to Providence!  Oh my.  I think that's my favorite version... for this hour, at least.  Just listen to Plant during Bonzo's big fill to start the rock section.  Holy fuck.  Spine tingling.

ha!  Phenomenal song.

Agreed! This whole gig is great. But it just makes me think "Where are the fucking soundboards for these shows just prior to MSG?" You know they have to exist. Boston, Baltimore, Pittsburg...c'mon, what the hell man...who's hoarding these?

• 1 year later...

March 19, 1975 in Vancouver is also an excellent version, probably my personal favourite.  Was wowed by it all over again listening to that show yesterday for the 45th anniversary!

Edited by Bonzo_fan

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 7:45 AM, paul carruthers said:

#1 - Earl's Court 5/24...

Also, some really great ones from the 79-80 years with the synths instead of the mellotron--might start with the first Copenhagen show...

I've always loved this version. Page was struggling for the first half of this night, but I think that struggling benefited the song. His playing here is softer and more careful, and that vulnerability/gentleness perfectly matches the mood of the arrangement as well as what the song is all about. And Robert really shines on this one. There are certainly stronger, more assured versions on other nights in 75 but this one is tops for me.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:01 AM, Adam Ryan watson said:

I really like the October 3rd  1972  version on japan .   Instrumentally there are better  versions but this one is my favorite simply because plant hits all  the high  notes  of the studio version .  I also really like. The one from  Seattle 73 when  jones as had to switch  to  piano  because the  melotron broke down   st Louis 75 is another one I really like .

Oct 3 Japan and Seattle 73 are two of my fav versions. I also love Oct 2 version, warts and all. I grew up with the Oct 2 show tho (since high school in the 80s) so there's some bias from nostalgia there.     

One of my favorites is from the Jan. 22, 1973 show. The intimate atmosphere in the arena with the band playing in front of a small, appreciative English crowd heightens the emotional nature of the song, and the professional recording helps convey the feeling of being there with them.

I may be the only one who likes this, but I love JPJ's organ on the 12-16-72 performance.  Something must have been wrong with the mellotron (thankfully).  The Year of Led Zeppelin site, which I love, describes the band's playing as almost drunk during TSRTS and The Rain Song.  Maybe?  Jimmy flubs the ending a bit, but that organ from Jones is beautiful

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 12:54 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

March 19, 1975 in Vancouver is also an excellent version, probably my personal favorite.  Was wowed by it all over again listening to that show yesterday for the 45th anniversary!

Fan of Bonzo fan and also green sparkly-things.  This Vancouver rendition feels just about perfect - weather-worn but not for the worse.

Just a lovely performance - and a great show.  

On 10/30/2021 at 8:37 PM, Supros and Telecasters said:

Fan of Bonzo fan and also green sparkly-things.  This Vancouver rendition feels just about perfect - weather-worn but not for the worse.

Just a lovely performance - and a great show.  

I agree -- the 'weather-worn' feel suits "The Rain Song." 3/19 is a great show indeed.