Happy New Year.

spats

It's not really about music, it's more about lyrics. I can't appreciate it because I don't understand Russian. All I know is that he meant a lot to people, and that it actually doesn't get old at all.

click...well, just in case you're interested.

I am interested. I read the section about his death and the production of Hamlet. Comparing him to Tom Jones was clearly an unintended insult! I misunderstood you when you said it couldn't be called music, thought you meant it wasn't good. But now I remember that people have said the same to me about Dylan, that he wasn't a musician but a lyricist. Now, I think that sells Dylan short and that he is an acquired taste. But I do understand what you mean: this guy had things to say. The description of the Hamlet production was very interesting, the moving curtain sounds like social commentary. And having the grave diggers and the grave throughout the play . . . I may just steal that one day.

I'll finish it in a bit . . .

Yes, he deserved it, but that doesn't change the fact that my behaviour was very impertinent.

You were impertinent, but that mitigates it. Elders deserve respect, but respect is a two way street.

Actually, it WAS fun. I'm proud of it.

I remember that when I was fifteen, I wrote a poem that was indirectly dedicated to my mom. Its theme could be summarised as 'I will show you...'. And yes, I'm glad I did.

Your confidence in yourself is well earned.

My response always was that I'm not precocious, I'm irradiated. :rolleyes:

The atomic baba. :P

I am not into gender roles where a "guy does this" or "the women does this".

Bullshit. If you really believed that, you wouldn't call things you don't like sissy or sappy. You told me only a while ago that getting emotional is something women do. You're into gender roles only as it suits you, but the fact is that you have them separated very neatly. You believe that an emancipated woman is supposed to leave you alone when you want, and let you do things you want to do, yet you offer nothing in return (you're prepared to let her do things you want her do, not what she wants to do).

I realize she probably won't be thrilled or flattered that i waited a week to call. But if she had just asked for my number instead of expecting me to then this would not be an issue.

If you asked her for her number instead of expecting her to do it, this wouldn't be an issue either. At this point you're no better than her. No gender roles, remember? You're equal.

I didn't really think "plain jane" was that offensive. Is it really? I have thought is was the best way to describe a girl who isn't hot.

A lot of guys would rather have someone say they were beautiful or gorgous or pretty instead of hot.

Plain Jane can be very offensive.

You described it perfectly Sam. I do eliminate a lot of women. I weed out the women to try and find the best one. I guess it comes down to what i can put up with and what i can't.

You're the prince in "the Princess and the Pea", waiting for the girl who can feel a pea under a hundred matresses. The thing is, life isn't a fairy tale and she may never come along. Not in a year, five years, or fifty years. Can you step up to the challenge of loving the people who are actually in your life?

I didn't really think "plain jane" was that offensive. Is it really? I have thought is was the best way to describe a girl who isn't hot.

It's a reduction. What that says is that looks are all you care about, and that you can't hide that fact in order to be polite. Says a lot about you to whoever hears you use it. You might want to consider that there is more than one way for a woman to be beautiful. In fact, there are a million ways of which the way that gets you on a magazine cover is only one.

Bullshit. If you really believed that, you wouldn't call things you don't like sissy or sappy. You told me only a while ago that getting emotional is something women do. You're into gender roles only as it suits you, but the fact is that you have them separated very neatly. You believe that an emancipated woman is supposed to leave you alone when you want, and let you do things you want to do, yet you offer nothing in return (you're prepared to let her do things you want her do, not what she wants to do).

If you asked her for her number instead of expecting her to do it, this wouldn't be an issue either. At this point you're no better than her. No gender roles, remember? You're equal.

I didn't say men don't get emotional. But generally women get emotional more than men.

I do expect a woman to leave me alone when i want or "let" me do things when i want. I leave them alone any time they want and have no problem if they want to go off and do something. They can do anything they want. it's never been a big deal. I have always been a very easy going boyfriend. I don't ask them to do anything they don't feel comforable doing. I have always into things being equal.

She was the one who was hinting at the number not me. I hadn't even thought to get her number before she was hinting at it. If she was the one wanting it then she should have been the one asking for it.

You described it perfectly Sam. I do eliminate a lot of women. I weed out the women to try and find the best one. I guess it comes down to what i can put up with and what i can't.

You do that like a woodcutter. :rolleyes: You classed me with women who get emotional without knowing me at all. That actually offended me, simply because I hate to be put in any pidgeohole.

'Plain Jane' can be very offensive, because that's just another pigeonhole-

1. Hardly anyone can be described as simply 'plain'.

2. What attracts you does not have to attract someone else and vice versa.

3. Her name could be Esmeralda, Charlotte, Anastacia or even Mixomatosa (depends on how insane her parents were); in other words, she could be unique even if you are too blind to see it.

I do expect a woman to leave me alone when i want or "let" me do things when i want. I leave them alone any time they want and have no problem if they want to go off and do something. They can do anything they want. it's never been a big deal. I have always been a very easy going boyfriend. I don't ask them to do anything they don't feel comforable doing. I have always into things being equal.

So as long as noone expects anything out of the other person in the relationship, you should do fine.

Which would mean that it isn't a relationship at all, of course. Your whole trip is paradoxical. You've created a labyrinth of rules and standards that you'll never be able to escape- try dismantling it.

They can't. If she calls you at night (ever though it's right after the date), you leave her because you think she's 'clingy'. She's not 'clingy', she just wanted to talk. Who says that being left alone is always what she wants? You're just an egoist who cares only about himself. Unless you understand this, your hand is the only solution, because it will do what you want anytime.

If Spats went out on a date with one of my friends, I can guarantee you he'd be holding his nuts by the end of the drinks before dinner. They wouldn't put up with his shit.

Would they do the asking out?

Here is what it comes down to: Everyone would agree that someone being "clingy" is bad. But 99.9% of people would not agree with Spats' definition of "clingy". Spats isn't wrong for not wanting someone who is clingy, he's just wrong in how he defines and applies his definition of clingy. What most normal people would think is normal behavior in a relationship, Spats would probably call clingy, and eliminate the girl for it. So as long as he's eliminating girls for being normal, by calling their behavior abnormal, he'll be alone.

They can't. If she calls you at night (ever though it's right after the date), you leave her because you think she's 'clingy'. She's not 'clingy', she just wanted to talk. Who says that being left alone is always what she wants? You're just an egoist who cares only about himself. Unless you understand this, your hand is the only solution, because it will do what you want anytime.

I was just saying that if she wanted to be left alone i would leave her alone just like if i wanted to be left alone. And if she didn't want to do something i would say "fine, that's alright."

I just thought that was too much and presumptious of the girl. And she wasn't my girlfriend. It was our first date (and our last :D ) and i wasn't interested in continuing the date for another hour on the phone. That was the first time that had ever happened to me. I was thinking.."WTF?". I never did that to any girl.

Gee, I don't know. Does it frickin' matter? Can't you get off your ass and not be lazy even in hypothetical situations?

C'mon Electro, don't you get it? That was the perfect punch line to your statement, instead of addressing what your friends would do to him, he just glosses over that to whether they'd do the asking out or not, which ties it back to the central theme. Great comedy writing, just the way it would be in a good movie script. That's why he's either a great fake, or an idiot savant who is completely unwittingly brilliant.

C'mon Electro, don't you get it? That was the perfect punch line to your statement, instead of addressing what your friends would do to him, he just glosses over that to whether they'd do the asking out or not, which ties it back to the central theme. Great comedy writing, just the way it would be in a good movie script. That's why he's either a great fake, or an idiot savant who is completely unwittingly brilliant.

I refuse to believe he's brilliant. We'll go with a fake.

I was just saying that if she wanted to be left alone i would leave her alone just like if i wanted to be left alone. And if she didn't want to do something i would say "fine, that's alright."

I just thought that was too much and presumptious of the girl. And she wasn't my girlfriend. It was our first date (and our last :D ) and i wasn't interested in continuing the date for another hour on the phone. That was the first time that had ever happened to me. I was thinking.."WTF?". I never did that to any girl.

OK, you can't understand that. :rolleyes: You're a walking paradox. They must be presumtuous enough to ask for your number, but they mustn't so presumtuous as to dial it. It's rather late, so goodnight. It was fun to talk to you.

Archived