Untitled

apantherfrommd

2 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Have to disagree here. I don't care what language a person sings in as the US does not have an official language per se, and, we should all know Spanish and French IMO anyway since the US borders countries who speak those languages. It is an educational tragedy that all students are not required to be fluent in at least Spanish or French by the time of graduation which is the requirement of every European nation. Just makes Americans look stupid compared to the rest of the world.

Now that national anthem, again, who cares. The US did not even adopt a national anthem, until the 1930's and the choice of something as lame as the SSB proves it was a "name in a hat" choice. The lyrics have nothing to do with America but rather the Battle of Baltimore, the music is an old English drinking song and no one can sing the song correctly anyway because it is supposed to be sung by a chorus, not an individual.

The way Americans revere a song which no one, quite literally gave a single shit about until the 1930's is laughable. And a really bad song at that.

I’m not going to comment on your post,  or any other of your posts ever again, so I don’t get banned.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:52 AM, BobDobbs said:

I thought Lady Gaga did an amazing job with the national anthem at the inauguration. Really has the pipes for it and J-Lo did very well too.

Ehhh…I liked Lady Gaga but I have never really cared for Jennifer Lopez's singing voice (loved her in "Out of Sight", tho). Garth Brooks was okay but I think Dolly Parton would have been a better choice.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Ehhh…I liked Lady Gaga but I have never really cared for Jennifer Lopez's singing voice (loved her in "Out of Sight", tho). Garth Brooks was okay but I think Dolly Parton would have been a better choice.

IMO Dolly Parton make everything better. Just have her come out and do the whole show going forward.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Would’ve been perfect and she’s been on a lot of shows lately. Her voice is so Americana. Gaga was on point. 

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Lady Gag me and Jay LOW-rent sounds more like a Super Toilet bowel half time show.  I'd rather see Senior Wensces' hand sing the national anthem while the plate spinning guy does his bit than those other two.

Parton yeah, that would have been better.

Strider, did I ever tell about the time I got to feel Dolly's giant warlocks?  She gave me a huge hug for helping out one of her employees back in the '80s when her show was taped out here. Yes, they are fabulous!  I'll take it 'em as a hug---anyway I can get 'em.

But my goodness she is short. Tiny in height, not tiny any other way. She would come about up to your waist if she said hello to you.

11 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Have to disagree here. I don't care what language a person sings in as the US does not have an official language per se, and, we should all know Spanish and French IMO anyway since the US borders countries who speak those languages. It is an educational tragedy that all students are not required to be fluent in at least Spanish or French by the time of graduation which is the requirement of every European nation. Just makes Americans look stupid compared to the rest of the world.

Now that national anthem, again, who cares. The US did not even adopt a national anthem, until the 1930's and the choice of something as lame as the SSB proves it was a "name in a hat" choice. The lyrics have nothing to do with America but rather the Battle of Baltimore, the music is an old English drinking song and no one can sing the song correctly anyway because it is supposed to be sung by a chorus, not an individual.

The way Americans revere a song which no one, quite literally gave a single shit about until the 1930's is laughable. And a really bad song at that.

I'd be pleased if Americans would learn to speak and write in English. 

I've never concerned myself with the opinions of "citizens of the world".

The National Anthem could be a lot better (a different song) but then so could the nation itself.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'd be pleased if Americans would learn to speak and write in English. 

I've never concerned myself with the opinions of "citizens of the world".

The National Anthem could be a lot better (a different song) but then so could the nation itself.

Hiya Steve!

Hope all is well in Japan right now?.  I've always wanted to go there; looks so orderly and different than here in L.A. If I ever did relocate to Japan, I would find it my top priority to learn to speak Japanese. To make a real effort to show respect to their language and culture, especially if lived or worked there.  My instincts tell me that would be well appreciated, and in the long run good for me too.

At my job when I have Japanese nationals come in, I really appreciate the way they make a big effort to speak to me in English. Can't say that happens all the time with others; some expect us to understand them. Germans are really good about that too. Go figure, maybe we rubbed off on them.... LOL actually no we didn't and why they are so well mannered.

Kip

World City Populations 2020
  • Tokyo (Population: 37,435,191)
  • Delhi (Population: 29,399,141)
  • Shanghai (Population: 26,317,104)
  • Sao Paulo (Population: 21,846,507)
  • Mexico City (Population: 21,671,908)
  • Cairo (Population: 20,484,965)
  • Dhaka (Population: 20,283,552)
  • Mumbai (Population: 20,185,064)

12 hours ago, kipper said:

Hiya Steve!

Hope all is well in Japan right now?.  I've always wanted to go there; looks so orderly and different than here in L.A. If I ever did relocate to Japan, I would find it my top priority to learn to speak Japanese. To make a real effort to show respect to their language and culture, especially if lived or worked there.  My instincts tell me that would be well appreciated, and in the long run good for me too.

At my job when I have Japanese nationals come in, I really appreciate the way they make a big effort to speak to me in English. Can't say that happens all the time with others; some expect us to understand them. Germans are really good about that too. Go figure, maybe we rubbed off on them.... LOL actually no we didn't and why they are so well mannered.

Kip

If I have to immigrate to another country, to work and support my family, you can bet I'd learn the language and assimilate to their ways, not the other way around and try and change that countries ways, like a lot of the immigrants do here.

I love the National Anthem just the way it is and all the other Patriotic songs too, to add a foreign language to the song while singing it in public at a Presidential Inauguration is point blank disrespectful.

And anyone who agrees, it was ok to add Spanish lyrics to the song, while singing it at the inauguration, is a complete and total asshole, this is America, we speak English here.

You don't like it get the f#%k out!

Edited by RainbowElf
Typo

3 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

If I have to immigrate to another country, to work and support my family, you can bet I'd learn the language and assimilate to their ways, not the other way around and try and change that countries ways, like a lot of the immigrants do here.

I love the National Anthem just the way it is and all the other Patriotic songs too, to add a foreign language to the song while singing it in public at Presidential Inauguration is point blank disrespectful.

And anyone who agrees, it was ok to add Spanish lyrics to the song, while singing it at the inauguration, is a complete and total asshole, this is America, we speak English here.

You don't like it get the f#%k out!

:hysterical:

Well, that did not last long

Some people are actually so f#%king stupid they can’t read and understand a person’s post when they say they will not quote their posts, doesn’t mean they will not quote others’s posts.

I guess English isn’t they’re primary language, it’s understandable I guess, I’m American and live in America and only need to speak and understand English.

10 hours ago, redrum said:
World City Populations 2020
  • Tokyo (Population: 37,435,191)
  • Delhi (Population: 29,399,141)
  • Shanghai (Population: 26,317,104)
  • Sao Paulo (Population: 21,846,507)
  • Mexico City (Population: 21,671,908)
  • Cairo (Population: 20,484,965)
  • Dhaka (Population: 20,283,552)
  • Mumbai (Population: 20,185,064)

Too many fucking people.

15 hours ago, kipper said:

Hiya Steve!

Kip

One of the big misperceptions about Japan is that assimilation would be appreciated. On a superficial level it is -- when it minimizes rudeness for example-- but beyond that it actually works against foreigners. Acclimation is sufficient. It's hard to explain but perhaps the best example would be imagine if the most sensual, exotic Japanese woman of your dreams moved to LA...and behaved in a fully assimilated manner. You'd be impressed -- initially -- but over time may resent it (at least within the context of a romantic relationship). Perhaps the example falls short in that in the US there is (or was) an expectation of assimilation, whereas here there is no such expectation and faux paus are dismissed as, "Oh, they're a foreigner so what can you expect". Even so, I too would like to increase my Japanese language proficiency, if only because there is so much information inaccessible to me without the use of translation devices and services.   

BEYOOOOONDS『ニッポンノD・N・A!』(BEYOOOOONDS [The Japanese D・N・A!])(Promotion Edit) - YouTube 

6 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

Some people are actually so f#%king stupid they can’t read and understand a person’s post when they say they will not quote their posts, doesn’t mean they will not quote others’s posts.

I guess English isn’t they’re primary language, it’s understandable I guess, I’m American and live in America and only need to speak and understand English.

:hysterical::hysterical:

23 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

One of the big misperceptions about Japan is that assimilation would be appreciated. On a superficial level it is -- when it minimizes rudeness for example-- but beyond that it actually works against foreigners. Acclimation is sufficient. It's hard to explain but perhaps the best example would be imagine if the most sensual, exotic Japanese woman of your dreams moved to LA...and behaved in a fully assimilated manner. You'd be impressed -- initially -- but over time may resent it (at least within the context of a romantic relationship). Perhaps the example falls short in that in the US there is (or was) an expectation of assimilation, whereas here there is no such expectation and faux paus are dismissed as, "Oh, they're a foreigner so what can you expect". Even so, I too would like to increase my Japanese language proficiency, if only because there is so much information inaccessible to me without the use of translation devices and services.   

BEYOOOOONDS『ニッポンノD・N・A!』(BEYOOOOONDS [The Japanese D・N・A!])(Promotion Edit) - YouTube 

Good points Steve.  acclimation  vs assimilation, I see where you are coming from. Which is basically what I meant to say. Like "when in Rome...".  I would have no expectation that anyone could believe they could just become Japanese, even as I think people who immigrate there ought to learn the language and respect the customs and culture.  I was just saying I'm sure the Japanese appreciate the effort in terms of manners, and I would think that would get people further than assuming to come and live there and not learn the language or respect the customs. 

On the 'faux paus' thing, that happens here too. I am very tolerant when new people are unsure of the words or the way things are done. But when after years they make no effort to even attempt to "do as the Romans..." then I see that as disrespectful, ESPECIALLY when what they choose to do instead is borderline criminal. It is the no effort to acclimate that is the worst rub.

For example: When I go to the beach and see people burying their cups or potato chip bags in the sand-- or just leaving it there for someone else to clean up, rather than walking over the 10 feet to dispose of it a waste bin, and the excuse for them is because "that is how it done where they came from". Then that is what I am talking about. People who go someplace that is better, from someplace worse, then just resign to make the new place like the old place.

There was an article about the cultural aspects of litter in a local newspaper here in Los Angeles a few years ago. And the point it was making is that WE ought to be more tolerant of people who litter--or who illegally dump rubbish at night in alleys and parks, because those people just don't know it is wrong, therefore WE should not be criminalizing a cultural behavior, but rather try to change that behavior with a polite conversation. I call BULLSHIT on that. Anyone can observe how things are done and how they are not done when they come to a new place.  And maybe I am wrong, but Japan at least seems to have some standards they all expect of each other in their society, and I kind of like that.

12 hours ago, kipper said:

Japan at least seems to have some standards they all expect of each other in their society, and I kind of like that.

Ridiculously so. My favorite is if the light says don't walk they will wait for the light to cross, even if it's 3 am and there ain't car in sight on a two lane road.

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Ridiculously so. My favorite is if the light says don't walk they will wait for the light to cross, even if it's 3 am and there ain't car in sight on a two lane road.

Here in the US as you know Steve, people walk out right in front of your car, even if the have the red light and you the green and they walk slow, because pedestrians have the right of way no matter what. Annoys the shit out of me.

8 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

Here in the US as you know Steve, people walk out right in front of your car, even if the have the red light and you the green and they walk slow, because pedestrians have the right of way no matter what. Annoys the shit out of me.

Jaywalking is a right.

10 hours ago, redrum said:

Jaywalking is a right.

It's a right insofar as one does have the right to do what they wish...and suffer the consequences. Depending upon the jurisdiction, it's possible that jaywalking could be cited from an infraction up to a misdemeanor. If they are hit by a vehicle, it is possible the jaywalker will be found at fault.

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

It's a right insofar as one does have the right to do what they wish...and suffer the consequences. Depending upon the jurisdiction, it's possible that jaywalking could be cited from an infraction up to a misdemeanor. If they are hit by a vehicle, it is possible the jaywalker will be found at fault.

as it should be. I have a friend who owns a security company and about a year ago some jackass was crossing the street, not in a crosswalk, at 2am during heavy rain. The guy jumped out in front of the company car one of his employees was driving and his employee struck and killed the guy. His employee was clean, no drugs or booze. Can you guess what happened, I bet you can. Dead guys family sued my friends company. Friend wanted to fight it but his insurance company said no way and settled, paid the family over 2 million dollars and then turned around and doubled his rate.

Crazy, just crazy. No way my friends company should have been held liable. Its bad enough the driver has to live with, oh wait, I almost forgot. That driver sunk into a deep depression (typical after killing another human) and lasted three whole months before killing himself over the grief.