Hollywood, Florida Sept. 1, 1971 - New audience tape fragment

zeplz71

I understand your eagerness to share new LZ stuff with everyone but you should have tried to seek out permission from the folks trying to properly get these recordings out for everyone to hear. These sort of things can be very touch and go and publicizing even a sample could potentially screw up all the work that’s being put into working with the owner of the original recording. 

3 minutes ago, NegativeCrepe said:

I understand your eagerness to share new LZ stuff with everyone but you should have tried to seek out permission from the folks trying to properly get these recordings out for everyone to hear. These sort of things can be very touch and go and publicizing even a sample could potentially screw up all the work that’s being put into working with the owner of the original recording. 

+1

2 hours ago, goldenretreiver157 said:

fake

You are mistaken. Maybe you have some wax build-up in your ears. Try q-tips.

2 hours ago, NegativeCrepe said:

Are you aware this was publicly released by the taper himself and he also publicly stated he can't find the rest of it, though he would try and look for it. Why can't this one song be circulated & enjoyed here or anywhere else, Sir Royal Highness of Rare Tapes?  Your ego? So everyone needs your permission when a taper himself releases their own recording, lol.

2 minutes ago, zeplz71 said:

Are you aware this was publicly released by the taper himself and he also publicly stated he can't find the rest of it, though he would try and look for it. Why can't this one song be circulated & enjoyed here or anywhere else, Sir Royal Highness of Rare Tapes?  Your ego? So everyone needs your permission when a taper himself releases their own recording, lol.

Good job entirely missing the point of what I said, ya goofus. 

Here, you dropped this:

A74F3AED-6A5B-4073-92F7-63DA62FEBF1C.jpeg.3b71a1e60e1ee1ce189ba27dddf6c2fb.jpeg

19 minutes ago, zeplz71 said:

are you aware you should go fuck yourself. this tape is none of your business

Edited by goldenretreiver157

39 minutes ago, zeplz71 said:

Are you aware that tapers can (and indeed in the past, have) get frightened off by drawing too much attention to a potential lead like this?

Put yourself in this guy's shoes: you have an unheard tape of Zeppelin. You post a teaser which gains little traction on YouTube while you search for the remainder of it. Then it gains traction on a Zeppelin fansite, and suddenly you get a flurry of comments from so called "experts" with months of audio engineering experience who tell you that they (and only they) know how to properly transfer the tape. They bombard you with email addresses to contact them, and pretty soon, you don't know who to trust. You don't know who is legitimate and who is merely out for glory. Then you start thinking maybe you should hold on to the tape after all. Or you send it to the wrong guy and BANG! Your tape is hopelessly mangled or butchered beyond repair.

Now maybe I'm overreacting and maybe nothing will result from this. But it is unwise to draw more attention to something like this. Because the more eyeballs you put on this, the more likely it is that a scenario like the one I outlined above becomes a reality.

I'm sure you didn't have any ill intentions and just thought this would be cool to share. But unfortunately, this can have unfortunate consequences and I think NegativeCrepe just wants to make you aware of that.

10 hours ago, NegativeCrepe said:

Disagree completely. The taper didn't get permission to record, so unless the tape stays in their own collection unheard by anyone but themselves then fine. But if that tape gets out either in full or fragmentally it's "public domain", open for anyone to do with what they want. If a shared fragment sends the taper into an apoplectic rage and then they decide to not share further that's up to them.

10 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Are you aware that tapers can (and indeed in the past, have) get frightened off by drawing too much attention to a potential lead like this?

Put yourself in this guy's shoes: you have an unheard tape of Zeppelin. You post a teaser which gains little traction on YouTube while you search for the remainder of it. Then it gains traction on a Zeppelin fansite, and suddenly you get a flurry of comments from so called "experts" with months of audio engineering experience who tell you that they (and only they) know how to properly transfer the tape. They bombard you with email addresses to contact them, and pretty soon, you don't know who to trust. You don't know who is legitimate and who is merely out for glory. Then you start thinking maybe you should hold on to the tape after all. Or you send it to the wrong guy and BANG! Your tape is hopelessly mangled or butchered beyond repair.

Now maybe I'm overreacting and maybe nothing will result from this. But it is unwise to draw more attention to something like this. Because the more eyeballs you put on this, the more likely it is that a scenario like the one I outlined above becomes a reality.

I'm sure you didn't have any ill intentions and just thought this would be cool to share. But unfortunately, this can have unfortunate consequences and I think NegativeCrepe just wants to make you aware of that.

I'd say more tapers have been turned off by the elitist, circle-jerk clique attitude of some collectors, like has been on display in this thread.  Surprising this still occurs in 2021.  We'd be a lot further along as a fan community without this b.s. 

We're older day by day. You feel it too? And the world's in chaos. So what's the point of vicious arguing on a site dedicated to a band we all love? It's bullshit. Someone has a legit criticism about screwing up some hoarder's pending maybe-releases? Take it PM. To keep it public is just grand-standing. Nobody in this singular genius band grandstanded. One of the many things that set them apart for the ages. My take, anyway.

18 hours ago, JTM said:

Disagree completely. The taper didn't get permission to record, so unless the tape stays in their own collection unheard by anyone but themselves then fine. But if that tape gets out either in full or fragmentally it's "public domain", open for anyone to do with what they want. If a shared fragment sends the taper into an apoplectic rage and then they decide to not share further that's up to them.

40 minutes ago, High-hopes Hailla said:

We're older day by day. You feel it too? And the world's in chaos. So what's the point of vicious arguing on a site dedicated to a band we all love? It's bullshit. Someone has a legit criticism about screwing up some hoarder's pending maybe-releases? Take it PM. To keep it public is just grand-standing. Nobody in this singular genius band grandstanded. One of the many things that set them apart for the ages. My take, anyway.

Exactly.  I will say that Peter Grant, as great a manager as he was and as integral as he was to their success in many ways, was short-sighted on the taping issue (and with respect to how few shows they recorded themselves).  Take the Grateful Dead by contrast, who recorded many more shows themselves and actively encouraged fans to record as well.  There has never been a toxic black market surrounding their tapes like there is with Zeppelin because the supply is virtually unlimited.  The vast majority of their shows are available as soundboards or official releases.  While Grant's method was probably the smart move financially in the moment, the Dead are now reaping the rewards of their approach decades later with subscription archival live release series, great box sets with corresponding merchandise, etc.  Zepp and the Dead are probably the two extremes on this front, and there were lots of bands whose view on the subject fell somewhere in the middle.

It is interesting to see the trickle-down effect that these differing approaches seem to have on the general tenor of their respective fan communities.

6 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

While Grant's method was probably the smart move financially in the moment, the Dead are now reaping the rewards of their approach decades later with subscription archival live release series, great box sets with corresponding merchandise, etc.

Makes you think, if only someone would plant that seed into Page, and he unlocks the live soundboards he still has as a means to creating some brilliant ongoing releases, 'Best of' tours (1980 for example), compilations of runs like LA '77, stand out concerts from all era's in EU, Japan, etc, etc... all with associated merch. I think it's very possible something like that would go viral and become somewhat of a phenomenon to his surprise. Just look at reaction vids on Youtube to Zep. Some are meh... but a lot are genuinely amazed and hungry for more.

Edited by rm2551

i appreciate I am straying somewhat , but anyway , following on from the last comment , has page / plant / jones ever publicly stated why they have not released soundboards ? 

I dont have any grateful dead output but thoroughly enjoy king crimson live releases . although i was somewhat concerned when tarantura released as a bootleg a copy of such a  crimson release .

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Makes you think, if only someone would plant that seed into Page, and he unlocks the live soundboards he still has as a means to creating some brilliant ongoing releases, 'Best of' tours (1980 for example), compilations of runs like LA '77, stand out concerts from all era's in EU, Japan, etc, etc... all with associated merch. I think it's very possible something like that would go viral and become somewhat of a phenomenon to his surprise. Just look at reaction vids on Youtube to Zep. Some are meh... but a lot are genuinely amazed and hungry for more.

I agree.  The bands who are doing such releases are using soundboards for a lot of them and getting them to sound very professional when they're mastered in a professional studio.  I also enjoy watching some of the better reaction videos on YouTube, and some are even reacting to full bootlegs now!  There's definitely a market for them if Page would just lower his perfectionism for sound and performance quality slightly.

Edited by Bonzo_fan