your favorite book.. of all the time

Elizabeth.

"Possession" is in my top ten as well. Reminds me of another one of my favourite novels which is also set in the Victorian era:

"The Crimson Petal and the White" by Michel Faber:

It's not all about sex actually. Rather it's a story about a gifted young woman trying to make her way in a paternalistic society governed by hypocrisy and double-standards. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, thanks FM, I'll have to check that out. The author has been on Victoria (a listserv) for years, but I've never read any of his books.

Hmmmm, thanks FM, I'll have to check that out. The author has been on Victoria (a listserv) for years, but I've never read any of his books.

It's one of those books that you want to go on forever cause you don't want to part with the main character. :'(

The Adventurer (Original title Mikael Karvajalka) by Mika Waltari

is a 1948 fictional tale of young Finnish man, Mikael Karvajalka, set in 16th century medieval Europe. The main character Mikael is shown as an intellectual but rather naive person, starting his life as an orphan bastard who pursues a better social status with help of friendly people and by means of theological studies, but ends up drifting along through historical events across Europe, with his friend Antti Tykinvalaja, rather than being able to steer his life himself.

The author has also written magnum opus The Egyptian (Sinuhe egyptiläinen in Finnish).

But in my opinion, it´s not that good than The Adventurer.

Bertrand Russell A History of Western Philosophy. But I've given up on reading books. It's better to be stupid in this world. When I know shit, it just pisses off Lake and the rest of the systasi.

I bet you're not a fan of William James, are you? (And do you also like Wittgenstein?) :unsure:

Silly Del.

That's a MAGAZINE! :P

Originaly the Bible was just written on peices of papyrus and cloth and scattered about the desert in jars. Nobody says that it's not a 'book'. Who knows, maybe it was just meant to be a magazine at the time too?

Besides, I have my Playboys bound in leather at the end of every year... so technically it is a book.

A very good book.

Archived