1969.10.17 Carnegie Hall (early show) (The Dogs of Doom Liberation Series Vol. 22)

ledzepfilm

Attention @drowan

In February 2021, we released a tape of the band's appearance at the Atlanta Pop festival in 1969. It was with this significant discovery that we decided to start numbering our releases as a series. 21 installments and nearly one year later, I don't think any of us could have predicted our productivity in finding new Zeppelin material. Here's hopefully to many more years of liberations ahead of us!

With that out of the way, here is our official celebration of the upcoming anniversary.

Thanks to June72 for making this release possible, to Glyn  for the tape transfer, to Led Zeppelin Rarities for the artwork, and most of all, to the original taper!

Quality is poor to fair IMO, some may think its better then that. a few cuts between songs, tape ends at the start of HMMT, pity, maybe they ran out of tape, would rather have that then the drum solo, oh well, still great that these can still be found and shared. thanks Dogs of Doom    

13 minutes ago, ledzepfilm said:

John Bonham is on record saying the first performance from Carnegie Hall was one of his finest drum solos. One of the truly rare occasions where I'm happy the full solo was taped IMO...

Yup, following in the footsteps of his heroes Benny Goodman and Gene Krupa. Playing at Carnegie Hall at the ripe old age of 21 where his heroes played "Sing Sing Sing" 31 years earlier ... it was a big deal for him. I'm sure he wore out that double LP way before joining Zep ... 

This recording gave me chills!!! Thanks Dogs of Doom (and June72 and Glyn)! As a 15 year older in 1969 sitting in the 10th row at Carnegie Hall during this early show, my best friend, Jerry Birdsall, and I were blown away by the energy and intensity of this concert.  Fortunately for LZ fans, Jerry decided to bring his new Nikon camera along with some fast exposure B&W Tri-X film and was able to capture the show without the need for a flash.  These negatives were misplaced for 45 years (until 2014) and through the assistance of Sam, our devout LZ Forum Webmaster, we were able to share them as well on this Forum (in 2018) with the public, and most importantly, the LZ fans.  So, thank you Sam as well!!!  For those of you who want the full media experience (both the concert recording just released and fan images) of the concert, check out our companion LZ Forum posting as follows:

1969-10-17-carnegie-hall--04.jpg

On 1/21/2022 at 3:49 PM, ledzepfilm said:

Attention @drowan

In February 2021, we released a tape of the band's appearance at the Atlanta Pop festival in 1969. It was with this significant discovery that we decided to start numbering our releases as a series. 21 installments and nearly one year later, I don't think any of us could have predicted our productivity in finding new Zeppelin material. Here's hopefully to many more years of liberations ahead of us!

With that out of the way, here is our official celebration of the upcoming anniversary.

Thanks to June72 for making this release possible, to Glyn  for the tape transfer, to Led Zeppelin Rarities for the artwork, and most of all, to the original taper!

How amazing that this recording has finally surfaced!!!  Now we have both fan photos and a fan recording of this 10/17/69 Carnegie Hall early show.  Thank you June72, Glyn, Dogs of Doom and Sam Rapallo!!!!!!

I just listened to this again. Having collected all things Zeppelin that I could get my hands on, coming across this site many years ago, and finally participating in it a couple years ago, I’m truly blown away every couple of months. A massive thanks to all of those who have gone to great lengths to make this site what it is, and the constant sharing of ideas, thoughts, and material. Somehow those words of thanks do not seem like enough. Simply amazing performance, and even more incredible find/liberation of the concert and pics. 

Cheers. 

I find this listenable and enjoyable. There is an atmosphere captured which really brings the recording to life, not unlike the sound of 73-03-24. Important tape as it helps document this run of shows surrounding the release of II. Another cool GTBT>CB opener. Wish this would have still been the opener at the RAH show. Bonzo's stamp of approval for "Moby Dick". The real downside here is the drums being buried during most of the recording. Based on "Moby Dick" i expect this was (another) exciting John Bonham performance.