Elizabeth Alexandra Mary (21 April 1926 – 8 September 2022)

kipper

3 minutes ago, kipper said:

I kind of think the grand old gal deserves her own tribute thread apart from the other common gentry who have passed.

RIP Lizzy. Nobody had more style than you did. You will not ever be replaced.

spacer.png

Your last two sentences sum it up perfectly. Thanks.

I've never gotten into the whole Royal Family tabloid circus the American media likes to pursue, but I appreciate the historical importance of the institution of the British Monarchy (in general I see benefits of hereditary monarchy over mass democracy), and sadly it feels like the end of an era.  Long live the Queen, for sure.  

On 9/10/2022 at 8:29 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

I've never gotten into the whole Royal Family tabloid circus the American media likes to pursue, but I appreciate the historical importance of the institution of the British Monarchy (in general I see benefits of hereditary monarchy over mass democracy), and sadly it feels like the end of an era.  Long live the Queen, for sure.  

So does the new Kings actually have an ounce of real power when it comes to England in its world role? I mean, if lets say the US and England and the Allied nations for lack of  better new term, were to be forced to take a blow at Russia, would it be totally on the prime minister to make that call or would , what is it, Kings Charles the III make that call?  Or would he have input.  Be asked his opinion?  i really do not know if they have any true power to make military decisions?

On 9/8/2022 at 5:13 PM, kipper said:

I kind of think the grand old gal deserves her own tribute thread apart from the other common gentry who have passed.

RIP Lizzy. Nobody had more style than you did. You will not ever be replaced.

spacer.png

I really think she was good at heart. She had to deal with the Diana marriage scandal and the newest scandal with Harry.  

4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So does the new Kings actually have an ounce of real power when it comes to England in its world role? I mean, if lets say the US and England and the Allied nations for lack of  better new term, were to be forced to take a blow at Russia, would it be totally on the prime minister to make that call or would , what is it, Kings Charles the III make that call?  Or would he have input.  Be asked his opinion?  i really do not know if they have any true power to make military decisions?

None. The Monarchy have no say in politics, other than to rubber stamp any new, or amended laws, that are passed. 

As I have said before, I'm no Monarchist. However, Mrs CP had it on and as a spectacle it was unbelievable. The pipers and drummers were so tight and the lone piper leaving Windsor was, as @slave to zep said surreal. The planning of the whole event must have been a challenge. I won't be buying the DVD though.;). We didn't play golf as I had a raging hangover :wacko:

33 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

As I have said before, I'm no Monarchist. However, Mrs CP had it on and as a spectacle it was unbelievable. The pipers and drummers were so tight and the lone piper leaving Windsor was, as @slave to zep said surreal. The planning of the whole event must have been a challenge. I won't be buying the DVD though.;). We didn't play golf as I had a raging hangover :wacko:

It seriously creeped me out.

When the death march started playing, I felt like I was watching something from another world, or a cartoon.