Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Hey Steve. When Led Zeppelin were receiving their Kennedy Centers Honors award, do you know of or have seen, read or heard of Jimmy, Robert and John Paul ever meeting Mr. Robert De Niro? Of Course Robert De Niro was there to introduce his good friend and great actor, Mr. Dustin Hoffman. Dustin met Jimmy, Robert and John Paul before, during and after the Honors.

I would like to think that at some point, either before or after the event, that all 4 of them had actually met and maybe conversed for a while. I am sure there was a "meet and greet" before the actual ceremony and definitely an "after party" that I would think that almost all the Honor winners, guest speakers (for all of the Honorees), musicians and most of the attendees, including the President and First Lady attended. That would have been a most complex and elaborate affair that would have also included members of the media and definitely the Secret Service along with other prominent members of the United States Government (senators and congressmen/women, etc...).

Beside actually meeting Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Robert De Niro, it would be My ultimate dream to see a picture of the 4 most Powerful men ever in the whole of the entertainment business taking a picture together and smiling for the camera(s).

I mean, HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE. A PICTURE FOR THE AGES. ABSOLUTELY TIMELESS!!!

Edited to add this:

http://youtu.be/eJUYuz1_7Vg

Prior to the ceremony there was a reception at the White House for all the medalists hosted by President Obama. Jimmy, Robert & JPJ were there as well as Robert De Niro who was accompanied by his wife, Grace Hightower. Unfortunately I do not have any photographs of all of them together, but I do have this one of Robert De Niro and his wife arriving.

DeNiro_zps294a014c.jpg

Photo courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Prior to the ceremony there was a reception at the White House for all the medalists hosted by President Obama. Jimmy, Robert & JPJ were there as well as Robert De Niro who was accompanied by his wife, Grace Hightower. Unfortunately I do not have any photographs of all of them together, but I do have this one of Robert De Niro and his wife arriving.

DeNiro_zps294a014c.jpg

Just checked Reuters, Getty, AP, none of them have photos of DeNiro with Led Zeppelin.

DeNiro_zps294a014c.jpg

Thanks Steve. So it seems reasonable and conceivable that the 3 members of Led Zeppelin and Mr. De Niro crossed paths that evening and could have possibly engaged in conversation (or at least been introduced to one another).

Before that evening I would like to think that Robert De Niro at least had heard of Led Zeppelin in their heyday. As most of us know (at least De Niro fans) Robert was beginning to make a big name for himself as a formidable actor throughout the 1970's especially in the city of his birth, New York City. All of us know that Led Zeppelin played NYC on all of their tours (except on the 1980 tour). New York City and Madison Square Garden were almost like a second home to Led Zeppelin. Los Angeles and the Forum could also have that distinction.

In My opinion, two entities that dominated the entertainment industry during the decade of the 1970's.

I have been unable to forget that song Steven, it is GREAT, Jimmy Page's Sitar playing is light years ahead of George Harrison. I wonder how many sitar demo's exist that Jimmy might have done with Led Zeppelin?

I don't think there are any in circulation...at least none that come to mind. Jimmy does take pride in having owned a sitar prior to George Harrison.

Edited by SteveAJones

I don't think there are any in circulation...at least none that come to mind. Jimmy does take pride in having owned a sitar prior to George Harrison.

Steve,

We need get the word out if anybody has a chance to meet Jimmy over the next few months to ask him if Led Zeppelin have any demo's recorded with a sitar in the vault somewhere! It is such a cool sounding song by the way. Jimmy Page was the master, this song tells my ears that Jimmy had decided he wanted to do big things when he formed his own band

Edited by Charles J. White

Steve,

We need get the word out if anybody has a chance to meet Jimmy over the next few months to ask him if Led Zeppelin have any demo's recorded with a sitar in the vault somewhere! It is such a cool sounding song by the way. Jimmy Page was the master, this song tells my ears that Jimmy had decided he wanted to do big things when he formed his own band

Uncut Magazine is currently soliciting questions for Jimmy Page thru September 1st:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/jimmy-page/we-want-your-questions-for-jimmy-page-news

This may be a mundane question for many but is there a prevailing theory about why we do not have soundboards for Vienna and Munich '80 when we have all the other shows from the tour? Mind you I love the audience recordings of these two gigs but the onstage chatter that soundboards reveal (especially on this last tour) is usually most interesting.

This may be a mundane question for many but is there a prevailing theory about why we do not have soundboards for Vienna and Munich '80 when we have all the other shows from the tour? Mind you I love the audience recordings of these two gigs but the onstage chatter that soundboards reveal (especially on this last tour) is usually most interesting.

I believe it's as simple as those two shows for whatever reason were not being stored among the many 1980 soundboards which were stolen from Jimmy's home in the mid 1980s.

4887968-Russian_album_inspired_by_Led_Ze

I came across this image where it was described as a bootleg produced in the USSR . However I've also read that when the fourth album was released, the Soviet authorities replaced the image of the old man in tune with nature, in order to present a more modern proletarian image ... i.e. this version is actually how the fourth album appeared when released in the Soviet Union.

Any idea where the truth lies ..?

Edited by truth and beauty

Steven,

The other song "Dream Cloudburst" clearly shows that Jimmy Page was a great sitar player. He had recorded the songs in late 1967, and it is impressive that while everyone else was trying to understand the guitar, he had kind of left them behind and embraced the sitar as something else in his arsenal of sounds and riffs. Jimmy Page is the master.

Edited by Charles J. White

4887968-Russian_album_inspired_by_Led_Ze

I came across this image where it was described as a bootleg produced in the USSR . However I've also read that when the fourth album was released, the Soviet authorities replaced the image of the old man in tune with nature, in order to present a more modern proletarian image ... i.e. this version is actually how the fourth album appeared when released in the Soviet Union.

Any idea where the truth lies ..?

This album was released in 1991 (the 20th anniversary of the original album) on the Antrop label in Russia. It is arguably more accurate to call it a pirated release as opposed to a bootleg. In any event, it is not an officially sanctioned release. The Antrop label was founded by recording engineer Andrei Tropillo and is well known for having pirated the albums of popular Western artists in Russia.

Russia's state run record label at the time was Melodiya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodiya

Filming location confirmed: LUDLOW.

Robert in front of Ludlow Castle and then on the Ludford Bridge. The lights in the background are from Charlton Arms pub.

http://www.ludlowcastle.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ludford_Bridge

http://www.thecharltonarms.co.uk/the_pub

Edited by SteveAJones

This album was released in 1991 (the 20th anniversary of the original album) on the Antrop label in Russia. It is arguably more accurate to call it a pirated release as opposed to a bootleg. In any event, it is not an officially sanctioned release. The Antrop label was founded by recording engineer Andrei Tropillo and is well known for having pirated the albums of popular Western artists in Russia.

Russia's state run record label at the time was Melodiya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodiya

i have a copy of this, i bought it beciase the cover made me laugh. bizarrely its a double album with houses of the holy and the cover for that is also dodgy, it looks a little as though someones had to draw it themselves

It must have been interesting being a bootlegger/pirate in the USSR. On one hand, a lot of Government restrictions and even outright bans were placed on music that was considered unfit for public consumption, while on the other hand, you were completely untouchable with respect to anti-piracy efforts by western music officials and the likes of Peter Grant.

I have spent part of today listening to the Maureeny Wishful album on YouTube.

Mr. Page's sitar playing is mesmerizing.

From comments in another thread on the album I garner Jimmy produced the album as well.

Very intriguing stuff!

C'Mon Train the final track is my favorite track, there is a haunting train effect on it, anyone know how that sound is made?

I would venture to say violin bow, or possibly hurdy gurdy...but may be totally wrong.

Is there any way to know for sure what tracks or parts of the various tracks Jimmy plays guitar on?

I am assuming there is not, because he and Big Jim S. both played on the album ...but thought I would ask.

Edited by Bayougal65

Hi Steve,

So I was listening to Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous" today, an album I've listened to at least a hundred times. But for the first time in decades I looked through the notes and credits and saw something that I had either forgotten or never noticed before: Jimmy Page listed in the credits!

Is this THE Jimmy Page or did another Jimmy Page just happen to work for Showco?

post-1470-0-87988800-1409705479_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-74525900-1409705514_thumb.jp

...Led Zeppelin, arrived unannounced at Liberty Hall, Houston, (while they were due to perform elsewhere) according to this unconfirmed archive...among many other acts mentioned...

apologies for the confusion in posting this format...Original Search Link below...

LZLibertyHall_zps3ebfeb35.jpg

Link to archives...
http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth245166/m1/6/zoom/?q=Led%20Zeppelin%20"Led%20Zeppelin"%20"Led%20Zeppelin"%20"Led%20Zeppelin"%20date:1973-1973

related link of Liberty Hall...

http://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2012/04/waylon-at-liberty-hall/

Edited by PlanetPage

I have spent part of today listening to the Maureeny Wishful album on YouTube.

Mr. Page's sitar playing is mesmerizing.

From comments in another thread on the album I garner Jimmy produced the album as well.

Very intriguing stuff!

C'Mon Train the final track is my favorite track, there is a haunting train effect on it, anyone know how that sound is made?

I would venture to say violin bow, or possibly hurdy gurdy...but may be totally wrong.

Is there any way to know for sure what tracks or parts of the various tracks Jimmy plays guitar on?

I am assuming there is not, because he and Big Jim S. both played on the album ...but thought I would ask.

Like much of Jimmy's session work, sometimes the answer is lost to history. However, these would be great questions to put forward to him via the upcoming Uncut interview mentioned earlier.

Hi Steve,

So I was listening to Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous" today, an album I've listened to at least a hundred times. But for the first time in decades I looked through the notes and credits and saw something that I had either forgotten or never noticed before: Jimmy Page listed in the credits!

Is this THE Jimmy Page or did another Jimmy Page just happen to work for Showco?

attachicon.gifIMG_20140902_155749.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20140902_155822.jpg

It is almost certainly a reference to this Jimmy Page, not Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin:

http://www.etnow.com/profiles/jimmy-page

...Led Zeppelin, arrived unannounced at Liberty Hall, Houston, (while they were due to perform elsewhere) according to this unconfirmed archive...among many other acts mentioned...

apologies for the confusion in posting this format...Original Search Link below...

LZLibertyHall_zps3ebfeb35.jpg

Link to archives...

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth245166/m1/6/zoom/?q=Led%20Zeppelin%20"Led%20Zeppelin"%20"Led%20Zeppelin"%20"Led%20Zeppelin"%20date:1973-1973

related link of Liberty Hall...

http://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2012/04/waylon-at-liberty-hall/

Very interesting. I'm looking into this further.

It is almost certainly a reference to this Jimmy Page, not Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin:

http://www.etnow.com/profiles/jimmy-page

Thank you, Steve. Any photos exist of the two Jimmy's together?

Fascinating to think there were two Jimmy Page's working in close proximity...Led Zeppelin used Showco almost exclusively. When someone asked for Jimmy Page, how did they know which Jimmy they were asking for? There must have been a lot of double-takes, haha!

'Do what thou wilt'

I read, forget where, that the original pressing of III had 'Do what thou wilt' inscribed in the vinyl. As fate would have it, I was at a thrift shop about 20 years ago and bought III, as I wanted to get the pinwheel-thingy. And, I decided to look if it has that inscription and it did. I was pretty stoked until I thought that maybe it isn't rare at all.

Are these rare at all? Or are there scores of these floating around?

thanks Steve!!

Edited by ChevalierMacGregor