Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Thanks so much for these scans, Knebby! It's from Rock et Folk (Feb 1984) (France) and I have been searching for it.

This interview was conducted at one of the two Manchester Apollo gigs on December 9 & 10 1983. If someone could kindly translate the content from French to English we'll be all set. Otherwise, I will have to do it myself. Thank you!

You're welcome. I'm in a bit of a scanning mood. ;)

Anyone know the connection between Zepp (in particular Robert P, Death Wish, and Knebworth) and publicist Jennie Halsall? Was she ever involved in the promotion of Zepp or the guys solo?

I don't think she ever worked for Swan Song, if so that alone pretty much rules out any direct involvement prior to 1983. If there is a solo era connection I'm unaware of it.

Deborah, every time that photo is uploaded to Photobucket it is quickly deleted, as I know from experience! Thanks, Steve, for the Raffaelli article, fascinating back ground there on his iconic photos of the band, not least the infamous 'dream' shot. It was definitely posted here, probably on one of the photos threads, a while back.

jimmy1.jpg

Whatever Happened to Jugula...Roy Harper's Mojo Hero Award

Mojo07640-photo1.jpg

After an influential, individualistic and uncompromising recording career spanning 40 years, Roy Harper was awarded the Mojo Hero Award by the staff of Mojo magazine on June 16, 2005 at the Porchester Hall in London. The award itself was presented by long time collaborator and friend, Jimmy Page and now hangs upon the wall at De Barras Folk Club in Clonakilty, Ireland:

http://www.debarra.ie/tour.html

Steve, Harper Page on you tube.... Advertisement?

Advertisement is a track from the 1985 Harper/Page album 'Whatever Happened to Jugula?' Primary sessions for the album were held circa Apr to May 1984 at The Boilerhouse, Roy's 24-track studio in the basement of the St. Ives Hotel in Lytham St. Annes, England. The album features keyboardist Nik Green, bassist Tony Franklin, drummers Ronnie Brambles, Steve Broughton, and Preston Heyman, Harper and Page. Jimmy actually performed with Roy & "band" (Nick Harper on keyboards and a drum machine) at the hotel on May 21, 1984.

In my archive I have a photo I took of the hotel, owned back then by Tony Beck, Roy's old school chum. Whatever Happened to Jugula? remains an all-time favorite album of mine and is arguably Page's best post-Led Zeppelin album.

The video for Advertisement (below) was originally released in 1986 on the Roy Harper video compilation 'Live In Your Living Room'. The live performance footage with Jimmy was recorded July 28, 1984 at the Cambridge Folk Festival when Jimmy joined Roy Harper and his band (Nik Green, Tony Franklin and Steve Broughton) for an afternoon and evening set. Tony Franklin accepted Jimmy's offer to join The Firm just a few months later.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KM0gMGRkqcY

More tracks from the album (live performance and interview recorded circa Oct 1984 with host Mark Ellen for BBC's 'Olde Grey Whistle Test; originally aired Nov 6, 1984.

Edited by SteveAJones

Steve, thank you for your reply,

would like to know was Roy Harpers part filmed at Sol studios?

And who are the Girl & Guy in the video?

The lady is Roy's girlfriend at the time, Jacqui. The man - engineer and keyboardist Nik Green (?) Roy's filming was done at Boiler House but so far as I know there was no filming done at Sol Studio.

This from Roy Harper:

Jugula was the fifth project that Jimmy Page and I had worked on, but the first record that we made together in its entirety. It was a very enjoyable experience. I went down to Jimmy's place a few times with an eight track Teac borrowed from Pete Townsend, and we worked on it there for a while.

Then he came up to Lytham, where I had helped to set up a studio with my old school friend Tony Beck, who sadly had a tragic accident and is no longer with us. Tony Franklin, later of The Firm, Nik Green, later of Whitesnake and Preston Heyman, later of Terence Trent D'Arby and Steve Broughton were the nucleus of the backing band. Nik Green also engineered the record.

We had a wonderful time. One possible reason would have been that I had just fallen in love for the fourth time in my life, and that it would be forever. Etc.

I think that the whole record is great with the exception of 'Advertisement', which is maybe on the wrong record. My taste varies from year to year as to which is my favorite track.

The title for 'Jugula' came from playing Trivial Pursuit, in order to explain to everyone how they should go about answering the questions as straight and honestly as possible I'd say, "Go for the jugula". It was going to be 'Harper & Page' for a while, but that's like selling Jimmy's name, then it went to '1214' which is the year that the Magna Carta was signed... but that was a bit esoteric. So one day we were talking and "jugula" came up, so I phoned the artist and they'd designed up to the 'Whatever happened to...' bit so I said leave it there and put Jugula at the end.

-Roy Harper

(Note also the working title for the album was Rizla, and the album cover graphics were originally intended to compliment that - SAJ)

Edited by SteveAJones

Zeppelin experience an ego test

Foreigner guitarist Mick Jones says being part of the lineup at the heavily hyped Led Zeppelin 2007 reunion in London featuring singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham’s son Jason on drums turned into survival of the fittest - ego-wise.

What began as a series of shows to remember the late Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun at Royal Albert Hall turned into a one night Zeppelin reunion at O2 Arena and people began dropping off the bill as a result.

“When it was announced that Led Zeppelin was doing the show, everybody seemed to drop out all of the sudden,” said Jones. “The Stones, Mick Jagger, Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, everybody just seemed to somehow - the whole thing about Led Zeppelin getting back together for the night — overrode everything else.

“But nevertheless there was a first half to the show which we concluded and it was quite an event. It was incredible seeing Robert and Jimmy together and the band together, you know I wouldn’t have missed that. It was pretty awesome. It was great. And I think everybody ended up happy and I’m sure Ahmet would have been thrilled as well. It was an honor to be there and to be included in all that.”

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2010/02/12/12860866.html

I think this is the first I've heard of "a series of shows" unless he means there had already been one in NYC.

Steve,

On the first leg of the US 1977, John Paul Jones played an acoustic/electric 12-string Ovation guitar during the band's acoustic set. It is known from video, audio and pictures that during the 2nd leg, Jimmy Page played the mandolin during "The Battle of Evermore" and the Martin 28 6-string during "Going to California", "That's The Way" and "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp".

Assuming that John Paul Jones played mandolin on the triple-neck Manson acoustic during "Going to California" and "That's The Way" (and of course Arco Upright Bass during "Stomp"), which of the scenarios occurred?

1. John Paul Jones played Jimmy's Gibson mandolin or another mandolin

2. John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page switched parts and JP played all mandolin except for on "Stomp" and JPJ played guitar.

Zeppelin experience an ego test

Foreigner guitarist Mick Jones says being part of the lineup at the heavily hyped Led Zeppelin 2007 reunion in London featuring singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham’s son Jason on drums turned into survival of the fittest - ego-wise.

What began as a series of shows to remember the late Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun at Royal Albert Hall turned into a one night Zeppelin reunion at O2 Arena and people began dropping off the bill as a result.

“When it was announced that Led Zeppelin was doing the show, everybody seemed to drop out all of the sudden,” said Jones. “The Stones, Mick Jagger, Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, everybody just seemed to somehow - the whole thing about Led Zeppelin getting back together for the night — overrode everything else.

“But nevertheless there was a first half to the show which we concluded and it was quite an event. It was incredible seeing Robert and Jimmy together and the band together, you know I wouldn’t have missed that. It was pretty awesome. It was great. And I think everybody ended up happy and I’m sure Ahmet would have been thrilled as well. It was an honor to be there and to be included in all that.”

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2010/02/12/12860866.html

I think this is the first I've heard of "a series of shows" unless he means there had already been one in NYC.

what are you getting at? private shows were performed? by the way...whats happen'n brother steve?

what are you getting at? private shows were performed? by the way...whats happen'n brother steve?

Hi Bouncer, long time no posts. It isn't clear - I'm not sure if this is what he meant - but it sounds like Mick Jones

believes additional concerts were to be staged in Ahmet's honor. However, Mick Jagger among others was involved at the Ertegun tribute concert held in NYC in April 2007. My understanding is Robert Plant declined to participate in that event with the intent to do something in the UK at a latter time. Once it was decided to reform for it, Led Zeppelin was originally to perform just a 30 to 45 minute set, but it expanded to a full concert-length performance.

Regardless, I don't recall any talk of a "series of concerts" to honor Ahmet, just one in the US and one in the UK.

Hi Bouncer, long time no posts. It isn't clear - I'm not sure if this is what he meant - but it sounds like Mick Jones

believes additional concerts were to be staged in Ahmet's honor. However, Mick Jagger among others was involved at the Ertegun tribute concert held in NYC in April 2007. My understanding is Robert Plant declined to participate in that event with the intent to do something in the UK at a latter time. Once it was decided to reform for it, Led Zeppelin was originally to perform just a 30 to 45 minute set, but it expanded to a full concert-length performance.

Regardless, I don't recall any talk of a "series of concerts" to honor Ahmet, just one in the US and one in the UK.

Initially the plan was for at least two UK shows, with Genesis discussed as participating. I think Mick is quite accurate - the momentum it took on when all the Zeppelin members were totally committed to it, and their set planned as longer, took it in a completely different direction.

Initially the plan was for at least two UK shows, with Genesis discussed as participating. I think Mick is quite accurate - the momentum it took on when all the Zeppelin members were totally committed to it, and their set planned as longer, took it in a completely different direction.

Ok. This reminds me that Pete Townsend did bow out once Led Zeppelin's concert-length reformation was confirmed.

I can see where Genesis, among others, could conceivably have headlined a second show. Of course, the two week postponement of the first show probably did not help with regard to a second concert either.

Hey i have heard of a picture of robert showing his "junk" in another topic here or somewhere else i dont remember. I know he wears tight pants but in this pic he is said to be showing it off. Is this true? And yah i know weird question haha!

It's actually quite true. It's an outtake photo from this 1979 photo session, Robert having dropped his pants to display his family jewels while the other three laugh aloud. I'm sure it's on the net somewhere and I know it was used for the

cover of at least one bootleg cd.

Outstanding.jpg

It's actually quite true. It's an outtake photo from this 1979 photo session, Robert having dropped his pants to display his family jewels while the other three laugh aloud. I'm sure it's on the net somewhere and I know it was used for the

cover of at least one bootleg cd.

Outstanding.jpg

Does anyone have this picture?