Lets have some fun and rank LZ STUDIO albums, not counting CODA (for apparent reasons)

OK.  Here goes.  And this is a tough decision except for number one.  Ill rank from top to bottom, using album number and name if appropriate. 

IV  Forever stands as the greatest album in rock and roll history IMO.  Not close.  The best  ( some others on my list, Dark Side of the Moon, Whos Next, Machine Head)

VI  (hope my roman numerals are correct but its Physical Graffiti and only reason I picked it over 2 is because there are two albums)

II  (such a classic with Whole Lotta Love leading the way)

I  ( this is tough, I feel its a tie with Houses of the Holy)

V ( yes, Houses of the Holy, always loved it. I always relate this to winter, with No Quarter setting that mood. Of course Dancin Days  adds the summer to it. Dyer Maker, top 40

III   ( known by many as the "acoustic album" and SIBLY is on here.  The most under rated LZ album.  The Immigrant Song made the top 40 charts I believe?

VII  ( I love Presence, as all of the albums.  I change my mind on this from time to time. The other 6 are just so great I have to put Presence here.  But many will disagree. 

I hope I get some response.  If none comes, feel free to pull the topic Sam. 

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

OK.  Here goes.  And this is a tough decision except for number one.  Ill rank from top to bottom, using album number and name if appropriate. 

IV  Forever stands as the greatest album in rock and roll history IMO.  Not close.  The best  ( some others on my list, Dark Side of the Moon, Whos Next, Machine Head)

VI  (hope my roman numerals are correct but its Physical Graffiti and only reason I picked it over 2 is because there are two albums)

II  (such a classic with Whole Lotta Love leading the way)

I  ( this is tough, I feel its a tie with Houses of the Holy)

V ( yes, Houses of the Holy, always loved it. I always relate this to winter, with No Quarter setting that mood. Of course Dancin Days  adds the summer to it. Dyer Maker, top 40

III   ( known by many as the "acoustic album" and SIBLY is on here.  The most under rated LZ album.  The Immigrant Song made the top 40 charts I believe?

VII  ( I love Presence, as all of the albums.  I change my mind on this from time to time. The other 6 are just so great I have to put Presence here.  But many will disagree. 

I hope I get some response.  If none comes, feel free to pull the topic Sam. 

I take it you've forgotten about "In Through The Outdoor" eh Rick? Hardly surprising as it's, well not great.  Mine are:

PG

Presence

Houses Of The Holy

ITTO

Edited by chillumpuffer

My list is constantly evolving. I will always go back to Physical Graffiti and 1 as my favorite front to back listens, but I've found a newer appreciation for the production on House of the Holy (audiophile wise). While IV is a bona fide classic, I find myself tired of the songs a bit. Presence gets the most "I want to hear this one riff or solo etc." Whereas 2 is just blunt force. I describe that album as maybe the most "aggressive" rock album of its time. It is unrelenting, and thus better for rocking out in the car than to is for a critical listen IMO. I've tried so hard with ITTOD over the years, and while I appreciate some of the efforts, it's just not a good record by Zeppelin standards. It's a Plant solo effort, and for the most part, I don't like Plant solo despite seeing him over a dozen times since the late 80's.

1. Physical Graffiti

2. 1

3. Houses of the Holy

4. IV

5. 2

6. Presence

7. 3

8. ITTOD

My favorite studio songs would probably be:

1. Sibly

2. No Quarter

3. How Many More Times

4. The Rain Song

5. In the Light

6. Achilles

7. Dazed

8. Kashmir

9. WLL

10. SRTS

1. IV

2. PG

3. HOTH

4. II

5. III

6. I

7. ITTOD

8. Presence

And I will forever defend "hat's off" as an awesome, gritty Delta blues tribute that contrasts perfectly with the other tracks on the album. But opening side two with "hey hey what can I do" and ending with "gallows pole" would've been the smart move.

Physical Graffiti  ..has everything, all styles ..perfect 

Led Zeppelin I ..pure energy, possibly Zeppelin at their best as a single unit 

Presence…just for the majesty of Achilles Last Stand alone  ..also Jimmy working his ass off for the whole album 

Led Zeppelin 2..perfect second album 

Led Zeppelin 4…never been my favourite but obviously Stairway  (& Black Dog )

Led Zeppelin 3.. ok but Hats off to Harper will forever tarnish it for me 

Houses of the Holy …weird production ..highlight is No Quarter .plus TSRTS best live track ...(The Crunge ..seriously lads ?!)

In Through the Out Door ..could have been a lot better….add Wearing &Tearing & Darlene ….get rid of Hot Dog and All my Love 

Edited by Paganini

PG (maybe, just maybe, a couple of duds here but is nearly flawless)

IV (Battle of Evermore & Four Sticks always get skipped but otherwise still amazes me)

HOTH (Rain Song is Jimmy's greatest achievement...first 3 are all gems)

Presence (surprisingly, the one I play the most)

II (I play side 2 a lot....side one only occasionally)

III (rarely play this start to finish anymore)

I (rarely play this at all anymore)

ITTOD (the first 7 minutes of Carouselambra are sublime...rest of it not so much)

On 9/20/2023 at 9:15 AM, chillumpuffer said:

I take it you've forgotten about "In Through The Outdoor" eh Rick? Hardly surprising as it's, well not great.  Mine are:

PG

Presence

Houses Of The Holy

ITTO

Oh damn. Well I have it last like you. Fool in The Rain is my favorite on that album 

Houses of the Holy did better than I thought it would.  For those that are not die hard Zepp heads like we all are, I think IV stands alone.  But I have PG and II next.  I have I over HOTH because of Dazed and Confused and also, Icantquityoubabe to me is one of the  all time under rated LZ songs.  The blues lead in tis is just nuts.  Its one of the greatest rock/blues songs of all time, of course written by Dixon.

I love these kind of questions to see what others say and what means the most to them:)

1. Houses Of The Holy  - The Rain Song has been my favorite song for 30+ years and live Zep '73 is my favorite year.  

2. IV - For the obvious reasons. . First time I heard Black Dog I was a forever fan plus Levee is the best song to ever end an album. 

3. Physical Graffiti - The '74 sessions make this a killer rock album. . The Rover and Sick Again really stand out for me never liked Trampled though. 

4. III - Would be higher if Hats Off was replaced by Hey Hey. . SIBLY is incredible with That's The Way in my top 10 Zep songs.  

5. Presence - What can you say but Achilles. . Can do without Candy Store Rock. . 

6. II - Like rest of us I've heard this album front to back so many times I have to shelf it and put it on maybe twice a year. . Love the medleys in live WLL though:)

7. I - Same as above. . My very first taste of Zep was my mom's original copy I still have. .Percy's scream on ICQYB hit me like a train when I was 12. .

8. In Through The Out Door - This like the others is incredible to me. . I don't listen to it enough but still highly enjoyable. Would have loved to hear boots of "The 80's Part One" of Carouselambra had Bonzo not died 43 years ago yesterday. .  

On 9/20/2023 at 8:49 AM, duckman said:

LZ 4 (Battle of Evermore)

On 9/22/2023 at 3:03 PM, shelflife said:

IV (Battle of Evermore & Four Sticks always get skipped but otherwise still amazes me)

The Battle Of Evermore is one of my favorite songs of all time.

how-dare-you-greta-thunberg.gif