Jimmy Page’s Surprise Performance at the Hall of Fame

zeplz71

I managed to speak to both men who performed "Rumble" with Jimmy Page last night. It turns out Jimmy was very exacting in wanting to recreate the sound of the original song on stage: https://ledzepnews.com/2023/11/04/exclusive-how-jimmy-page-created-a-faithful-recreation-of-rumble-for-the-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-induction-ceremony/

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Very pleased, proud and overjoyed for Jimmy. Link Wray means so much to him, and Jimmy really rose to the occasion to deliver a fulsome tribute.

It's been so long since Jimmy mesmerized a New York City audience, to see them all literally leap to their feet is a real testament to the enduring connection between them.  

Link Wray RNRHOF Induction.jpeg

Very well put Steve. There is just something about this guy. I have revered him since I was 13 years old….which was 7 years after Zeppelin folded. Awesome to see him playing. I will now learn to play this song today (my 70 year old guitar teacher is a drummer too, which is handy). 

8 hours ago, custard pie man said:

to be seen and manifesting music, very cool, one song but looked great, seems very happy, begs question why a no show at Becks tribute concert? he certainly can still play 💯

There could be any number of reasons and there's no point reading into it. I recall when Jeff had two gigs at the Tokyo Dome City Hall in April 2014, he invited Jimmy to join him for an onstage jam either night but Jimmy flatly refused. A few years prior, at the 02 in London, Jeff invited Jimmy and Ronnie Wood to jam with him on what was Jeff's 65th birthday. Both declined and at that time, Jeff told Jimmy we was "chicken".

8 hours ago, Cookie0024 said:

I managed to speak to both men who performed "Rumble" with Jimmy Page last night. It turns out Jimmy was very exacting in wanting to recreate the sound of the original song on stage: https://ledzepnews.com/2023/11/04/exclusive-how-jimmy-page-created-a-faithful-recreation-of-rumble-for-the-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-induction-ceremony/

Yes! This duo, along with Jimmy, delivered a sonic tribute that is astonishingly faithful to the original recording. 

8 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Sometimes it's easy to forget your heroes have heroes. 

Jimmy saying Wray was the essence of cool when we all consider Jimmy the same. 

I admit I've skimped on Link Wray's discography (especially shameful considering he was a local boy), but hopefully I change that.

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

There could be any number of reasons and there's no point reading into it. I recall when Jeff had two gigs at the Tokyo Dome City Hall in April 2014, he invited Jimmy to join him for an onstage jam either night but Jimmy flatly refused. A few years prior, at the 02 in London, Jeff invited Jimmy and Ronnie Wood to jam with him on what was Jeff's 65th birthday. Both declined and at that time, Jeff told Jimmy we was "chicken".

also in reading above from details about this performance seems like there was a great amount of rehearsing rumble and getting it perfect at least to Jimmys desire, perhaps the Beck tribute was lacking   in proper rehearsal time due to fact so many players were coming in   and  concert was more about winging it and having a fun time?

What a capper to the weekend! I was busy with a wedding and didn't have my ears tuned to any news at all last week. Not to mention the fact that I have given up on the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame ever having any relevance again. The fact that Eminem and Billy Joel got in before Link Wray, when Link should have been inducted in the very first class when he was still alive, no later than the second or third class at least, is a stain of shame the Hall will never erase.

Props to Jimmy for such a loving and deeply-felt tribute and for breaking out that heavy Gibson EDS-1275!

What a happy surprise!

Edited by Strider

16 hours ago, Strider said:

What a capper to the weekend! I was busy with a wedding and didn't have my ears tuned to any news at all last week. Not to mention the fact that I have given up on the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame ever having any relevance again. The fact that Eminem and Billy Joel got in before Link Wray, when Link should have been inducted in the very first class when he was still alive, no later than the second or third class at least, is a stain of shame the Hall will never erase.

Props to Jimmy for such a loving and deeply-felt tribute and for breaking out that heavy Gibson EDS-1275!

What a happy surprise!

rock  n roll hall of  fame is  as diluted as our sport hall of fames have become, change the name to the new world music hall of fame cuz there isn't much rock here to induct sadly

Absolutely wonderful. I’m so proud of Jimmy and his first class tribute to Link Wray. 

Let’s see if I’ve got this right……..Robert Plant sings Stairway to Heaven a few weeks ago, and Jimmy is found playing “Rumble” on stage not long after that?  What is this world coming to!!??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOX8eVPcI1U
Here is a screenshot from the TV, but you can also catch a glimpse of Jimmy during the speeches of presenter Elton John (0:00-0:16) and honoree Bernie Taupin (13:39-13:47).
I think Jimmy must have been very excited to see his girlfriend Ms. Scarlett Sabet, 46 years his junior, in front of him.

8 minutes ago, zoso_ledzep4_yy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOX8eVPcI1U

Here is a screenshot from the TV, but you can also catch a glimpse of Jimmy during the speeches of presenter Elton John (0:00-0:16) and honoree Bernie Taupin (13:39-13:47).

After the performance, the audience cheered while Jimmy moved to a table in the audience, and presenter Elton John, who was next in charge of the proceedings, seemed to have a puzzled look on his face.

Jimmy must have been very excited to see his girlfriend, Scarlett Seib, 46 years his junior, in front of him during the performance.