A little respect for JPJ

Mountain Hopper

I think Jonsey doesn't get enough credit. Obviously, Jimmy wrote the licks and took care of production, Robert sang, and Bonzo on the skins but pretty much every other instrument is played by Jonesy. Case in point, if Jonsey only played bass, zep's catalog would pretty much be cut in half. Unless they used a bunch of studio musicians (which would have sucked). I think if it has strings or keys, he can play it. Either way, I always considered him the "glue" if you will.

How about that monster boogie stomp bassline he laid down with Lenny Kravitz at the '93 MTV Video Music Awards? Oh man, that was heavy.

BOHMP BOHMP BOHMP BOHMP BOHMP

"I was born, long ago..."

It certainly was. And he played it like he'd wrote the song himself.

Each member as individuals created 1/4 of what Led Zeppelin became. Without JP, but with the others - different band with different sound, different riffs. Without RP - again different. Without JB - probably a much softer, thinner sound, not the same groove. Without JPJ, there would be no Black Dog! His bass is phat and he was able to fill out the sound, particularly live, where JP couldn't play all the parts he did in studio. JPJ picked out the right things to play to compensate.

But there is also the 4 way chemistry which would have been different. Different jams, different personalities, different result. A 'supergroup' of all the 'best' players wouldn't have been the same. If there was a better known bass player, maybe there would have been too many egos for the 1 band. JPJ was right for Led Zeppelin.

His underratedness is overrated.

The only people that seem to underrate JPJ are Robert and Jimmy. At least, they don't ever seem to go out of their way to credit him. Personal reasons probably, I know, but they will praise Bonzo at every possible opportunity, and rightly so, but JPJ barely gets acknowledged. He is a huge part of Led Zeppelin's sound, as was shown with the giant leap in quality from the Page & Plant shows to the O2. The P&P shows were great; the O2 show was sublime.

Also, in the recent interview he mentions that he wrote the riff to Good Times Bad Times, which I didn't know, as well as Black Dog, which I did know. Anyone know which other Zep riffs were JPJ's? After all, Black Dog is one of the all time great riffs by anyone, and one of the defining, trademark Led Zeppelin songs.

The only people that seem to underrate JPJ are Robert and Jimmy. At least, they don't ever seem to go out of their way to credit him. Personal reasons probably, I know, but they will praise Bonzo at every possible opportunity, and rightly so, but JPJ barely gets acknowledged. He is a huge part of Led Zeppelin's sound, as was shown with the giant leap in quality from the Page & Plant shows to the O2. The P&P shows were great; the O2 show was sublime.

Also, in the recent interview he mentions that he wrote the riff to Good Times Bad Times, which I didn't know, as well as Black Dog, which I did know. Anyone know which other Zep riffs were JPJ's? After all, Black Dog is one of the all time great riffs by anyone, and one of the defining, trademark Led Zeppelin songs.

Amen to that brother.

John Paul Jones doesn't seem to be in the limelight like Page/Plant, but he is definitely not unnoticed, not to me anyway. (whatever that is worth). I think he is fantastic! Who cares about the limelight anyway. It all seems like a huge pain in the ass.

They are all stars to me. They are all so strong with talent, charisma, stage presence, and great musicianship. Everyone of them. I am a fan of each and everyone of them.

John Paul Jones, for his own reasons has always shunned the limelight, and even from the earliest days of Zeppelin tried to make himself invisible, frequently changing hairstyles - not to stand out but to add to his disguise!

He was hand picked by Jimmy to become part of the New Yardbirds, because Jimmy new what he was capable of.He was already a great talent in his own right.

He is called the quiet one of the band when of course that was never the case.He was the smart one! :)

I remember in the 90's alot of people were excited when Page and Plant were working together again.People around me were even calling it Led Zeppelin with a new name!

I enjoyed what they did, but was fully aware of two missing dynamics .But I also knew that if they had remembered Jonesy's phone number then, the new music would have taken on a whole new meaning that perhaps the others just weren't ready for (or comfortable with).

He was, is, and always will be 25% of the magic that was and could be again.

Edited by Gervox

John Paul Jones, for his own reasons has always shunned the limelight, and even from the earliest days of Zeppelin tried to make himself invisible, frequently changing hairstyles - not to stand out but to add to his disguise!

He was hand picked by Jimmy to become part of the New Yardbirds, because Jimmy new what he was capable of.He was already a great talent in his own right.

He is called the quiet one of the band when of course that was never the case.He was the smart one! :)

He is the smart one then. Don't blame him at all! :)

How about that monster boogie stomp bassline he laid down with Lenny Kravitz at the '93 MTV Video Music Awards? Oh man, that was heavy.

"I was born, long ago..."

Oh yes! I certainly remember seeing that and when I first saw it I was like, "Lenny has John Paul Jones playing bass and this is so awesome!" I agree Jonesy is a phenomenal musician. :thumbsup: