singing along at a show

boogie

sitting here watching tom petty at the half time show. sounds good, but i'm reminded how much i hate going to shows where everyone sings along with every song. i just wanna hear the band. back in the old days, you didn't sing along until the singer let you know to do it. they might hold the mike towards the crowd, or cup his/her hand behind his/her ear, or say, sing along. now, everyone sings along on most songs. just stop it. your not in the band... jeeze......and swaying to and fro, with one arm up in the air? whats that?..... just go to a show, smoke some weed, dig the sounds. go home.

twist one up

Edited by boogie

I can't say I have anything against crowd participation, that's a huge part of the communal spirit of live shows, at least to me. Now, if your neighbor is hollering the wrong lyrics in your ear, spilling beer, bumping into people, chit-chattin', cellphonin', etc., that's something else altogether. Pearl Jam fan or not, listen to Better Man from their new Live at the Gorge box. The way the audience knows all the words and sings along sends chills, at least to me.

I can't say I have anything against crowd participation, that's a huge part of the communal spirit of live shows, at least to me. Now, if your neighbor is hollering the wrong lyrics in your ear, spilling beer, bumping into people, chit-chattin', cellphonin', etc., that's something else altogether. Pearl Jam fan or not, listen to Better Man from their new Live at the Gorge box. The way the audience knows all the words and sings along sends chills, at least to me.

Yes! That seems to happen with a lot of their live performances of that song, as well there is a great live version of "Wishlist" on the 03 Holmdel NJ show where Eddie gets the crowd to sing for him at one point in the song.

What a silly thing to complain about. It would be positively embarrassing for an artist to take the stage and have the place quiet as a cemetery until the song ends and everyone applauds....back to silence until the next song is over. Silence at a concert, unless the artist asks for it because of the nature of the song they are about to sing, is uncomfortable and usually an indicator that the artist and/or song sucks.

If you don't like crowd participation, hope they issue the show on CD and then listen to it at home or something. I go to concerts to have a good time, not act like I'm at the library.

I can't say I have anything against crowd participation, that's a huge part of the communal spirit of live shows, at least to me. Now, if your neighbor is hollering the wrong lyrics in your ear, spilling beer, bumping into people, chit-chattin', cellphonin', etc., that's something else altogether.

Absolutely. It's incredibly powerful an experience when the whole audience is in synch like that. I'm very guilty of singing along if I know the words :bagoverhead: Apologies to those that have to endure it but at least I sing on key :lol:

Great point. I've been to Springsteen shows where the audience has sang along with some of his songs, with such passion, that it gave me goosebumps and almost moved me to tears.

What a silly thing to complain about. It would be positively embarrassing for an artist to take the stage and have the place quiet as a cemetery until the song ends and everyone applauds....back to silence until the next song is over. Silence at a concert, unless the artist asks for it because of the nature of the song they are about to sing, is uncomfortable and usually an indicator that the artist and/or song sucks.

If you don't like crowd participation, hope they issue the show on CD and then listen to it at home or something. I go to concerts to have a good time, not act like I'm at the library.

Well said.

Alot of the music I go see requires close listening...the dynamics can go from being able to hear a pindrop...to an all out aural assault within a few seconds...

I like to listen....crowd 'participation' works for some bands....others not....

I don't like being distracted from the music....

I don't go to hear the audience sing or play instruments with the band....

The bands I'm talking about appreciate the attentiveness and respect of total involvement in LISTENING.....heady music that is....there's a difference among bands and the type of music they're playing...

deadhorse.gif

Alot of the music I go see requires close listening...the dynamics can go from being able to hear a pindrop...to an all out aural assault within a few seconds...

I like to listen....crowd 'participation' works for some bands....others not....

I don't like being distracted from the music....

I don't go to hear the audience sing or play instruments with the band....

The bands I'm talking about appreciate the attentiveness and respect of total involvement in LISTENING.....heady music that is....there's a difference among bands and the type of music they're playing...

Point taken. I think you are right that, in some situations, whether because of the nature of the band or the mood evoked by a particular song, it is not appropriate to sing along. For whatever reason, my best concert experiences and memories always seem to be the rather raucous ones. I must remind myself that there have been quieter concert moments.

back in the old days, you didn't sing along until the singer let you know to do it. they might hold the mike towards the crowd, or cup his/her hand behind his/her ear, or say, sing along. now, everyone sings along on most songs. just stop it. your not in the band...

Yeah, I'm sure no one ever sang along at a concert "back in the old days" ... :wtf:

Why do I cringe every time someone uses the phrase "back in the old days"?

Oh, I know why...

sitting here watching tom petty at the half time show. sounds good, but i'm reminded how much i hate going to shows where everyone sings along with every song. i just wanna hear the band. back in the old days, you didn't sing along until the singer let you know to do it. they might hold the mike towards the crowd, or cup his/her hand behind his/her ear, or say, sing along. now, everyone sings along on most songs. just stop it. your not in the band... jeeze......and swaying to and fro, with one arm up in the air? whats that?..... just go to a show, smoke some weed, dig the sounds. go home.

twist one up

I watched that...Even the audience participation seemed well rehearsed. The woman were dressed appropriately (*) (*) , the lighters all came out during the last song and I was shocked so many people knew the words. I still enjoyed it, although Free Falling (a great tune) sounded a bit bland.

I dunno about as a general rule, but last year when I saw The Killers there was a girl in the row behind me ( her mouth therefore level with my ears) who leaned forwards and screamed the words to every song as loudly as she could throughout. It drove me NUTS. That wasn't even about singing - it was that other disease I have encountered at gigs of wanting EVERYONE to know just how big of a fan you are and how many songs you know all the words to and can yell along with. I'm sure some of you know exactly what I mean. I felt like killing her - I moved seats. :rolleyes:

It really depends....

... on whether you're one of those singing along or not. :D

Pretty much, yeah. :)

Singing/shouting along to show you're a huge fan, I agree, yech. Singing along because you love it and can't help yourself, or even better, because the whole crowd is showing their love to the band, that can be ok.

Mostly I'm on the shut up and listen side, though. I'm there to hear the band, not my seat mates! The best thing ever is a band or musician who is so good, the crowd is silent in amazement, there's a split second after a song ends, then everyone erupts in cheers and applause and craziness ensues... that's just the best feeling.

I really don't get people who go to a concert and talk through the whole bloody thing... you can have a conversation at a bar or at home, why do it at a live show? Those people I will glare at; glare at longer and harder; ask to be quiet, please; then ask to shut the F up, already... :angry:

Edited by SunChild

Like has been said, it all depends on the artist and the nature of the show. I've attended a number of acoustic house concerts where it's fully expected for the audience to be quiet, especially since the performances are unamplified. Still, it doesn't have to feel like church. That all just depends on the vibe that's in the room.

I remember a friend telling me about attending a Jimmy Buffett show back in the 70s where he admonished the crowd for singing because it kept him from hearing the band. Odd now that his shows are virtually singalongs with crowds of 20,000 strong...

I remember a friend telling me about attending a Jimmy Buffett show back in the 70s where he admonished the crowd for singing because it kept him from hearing the band. Odd now that his shows are virtually singalongs with crowds of 20,000 strong...

Changes in latitudes...changes in attitudes B)

Like has been said, it all depends on the artist and the nature of the show. I've attended a number of acoustic house concerts where it's fully expected for the audience to be quiet, especially since the performances are unamplified. Still, it doesn't have to feel like church. That all just depends on the vibe that's in the room.

LOL!

I was taught as a child that when you attend a musical performance you not only remain silent, you remain silent until the last waver of the last note in any given piece if not a few seconds longer (just in case they're pulling a "That's the Way" kind of thing). Anything else is rude. How is the musician supposed to search for something delicate, otherwise?

'Course my parents never attended a rock concert or a Jimmy Buffet show ... :D

Changes in latitudes...changes in attitudes

:D

It's five o'clock somewhere...

Edited by SunChild

I was taught as a child that when you attend a musical performance you not only remain silent, you remain silent until the last waver of the last note in any given piece if not a few seconds longer (just in case they're pulling a "That's the Way" kind of thing). Anything else is rude. How is the musician supposed to search for something delicate, otherwise?

Good advice but like myself (and others) have said, it all depends on the artist and the setting. John Prine has cut out alcohol sales at his shows and only allows audience members to get up and down between songs. All to help from disrupting his performances. Jerry Jeff Walker politely asks his audience not to holler out for requests during his concerts. If someone does it is not unusual for him to storm off stage. Singer-songwriter Todd Snider has had uncooperative audience members physically removed from his concerts if they don't know how to keep their traps shut. Then again, I'm referring here to mostly acoustic shows, not rock ones where the vibe may be entirely different and singing along may be encouraged.

I hate it when people sing along... :angry: You can't imagine the number of videos I made that are ruined because of people singing along... <_<

But the funny thing is that...the only time in my life I sang along to a song the artist came in the crowd and shared the mic with me!!! :lol: It was Adam Green at La Cigale in Paris...and the song was one of my fav called Pay the Toll and I couldn't help it, I just got carried away and sang! I was in the 2nd row and Adam saw me and I dunno why he came in the crowd and as I said shared the mic with me. Great moment...BUT I still hate it when people sing along and this was a one time only deal for me! ;)

I can only speak for meself on this one...

I dont care if someone dislike me screaming out the lyrics at a show... If you dont like it, well, thats too bad for you really... At every damn show i attend i sing/scream out the lyrics to every damn song, aslong as i know the lyrics... I keep me mouth shut and headbang or whatever if i dont know the lyrics... BUT, ofc, having some idiot at your side which dunno the lyrics and try his best to follow, that i find annoying...

I find crows participation to be good and let the band know they aint playing for an empty club/arena, if you know what i mean...

I cant really speak for gigs with bands from other genre's, i have till this day only attended two gigs outside the rock/metal genre, which is so long ago i can barely remember it... I am attending a Willie Nelson gig in not so long and i dont really know how i shall act. except i wont go as crazy as i use to do... I mean, is it normal to sing along, or stand up, or... i will prolly feel really awkward...

Well... this is my opinion atleast on this subject... plus some off topic rambling, sorry bout that...

In my good old days we yelled or applauded the high points and did a lot of grooving in between and saved singing along for special moments. Now just tend to tap my toes politely and hum if I can't restrain myself as I'm hard of hearing from too many loud concerts. Have asked screamers in the past to please stop screaming, but evidently they can't restrain themselves either. In my old age I have less tolerance for bad behavior so enjoy music at home or in the car, but I do miss the collective concert experience. God I sound like an old fart.

I can only speak for meself on this one...

I dont care if someone dislike me screaming out the lyrics at a show... If you dont like it, well, thats too bad for you really... At every damn show i attend i sing/scream out the lyrics to every damn song, aslong as i know the lyrics...

That's the problem. You don't care and neither do a lot of other people.. Selfish people who are going get their moneys worth at the expense of everybody else. It goes far beyond screaming lyrics to songs at concerts. What happened to being polite and considerate when you are in the presence of others?

Singing I can deal with, screaming I can not. Like I've said, I also believe some degree of crowd participation is somewhat expected, especially at rock shows. If I didn't want that experience I may as well stay at home and just listen to albums by the artist in question.

That's the problem. You don't care and neither do a lot of other people.. Selfish people who are going get their moneys worth at the expense of everybody else. It goes far beyond screaming lyrics to songs at concerts. What happened to being polite and considerate when you are in the presence of others?

Fortunately...maybe the bands he sees are so loud, you wouldn't hear him screaming !! :lol:

People who do that may say in defense...well, I bought my ticket and can do as I please. But as you point out Jethro....when they do that....THEY raise the stakes. At the show...you just there..everyone is the same....someone starts singing or screaming and they START the problem...then the one who wants to hear the band undiluted has to act in DEFENSE...to the offensive person.

Now..it does depend on the band and the atmosphere....and an attendee should know the difference in what's expected at a particular show.

I'd said earlier...if you want to sing and you are part of the bigger whole of EVERYONE singing...go see your BALLAD ROCK ! It's expected there !! I don't like the music anyway..so the singing would only amplify that and make it WORSE !!! YUCK !!

That sorta stuff comes with experience...and it usually takes the more experienced to quell the boisterous 'guest vocalist'...when it's not appropriate for a given band....then the 'singer' will learn in there time as well. Again...depends on the band and setting.