Pet Peeves

Hotplant

cun1gSKE7TbLcAV.jpg

Good have at it.

Just because I "drug" up your past doesn't mean you should drag up mine.

Med! I have all idees<(that's southern) that Mandy would appreciate and welcome ALL the luck that has been afforded her...except Mary's!

Just because I "drug" up your past doesn't mean you should drag up mine.

Med! I have all idees<(that's southern) that Mandy would appreciate and welcome ALL the luck that has been afforded her...except Mary's!

Lighten up there bubba none of us want you to hurt yourself.

Just took the first step to quit smoking yesterday. I bought some organic tobacco with no additives and they're roll your own. I figure this way I'll have to work for a cigarette and eventually I'll get tired of it.

MY DEAR LORD, ITS ONLY BEEN 3 DAYS!!!!! It feels like I've been doing this for a month. I want a Marlborough sooo bad. I'm going through withdrawals even though I'm still smoking. On a brighter note, I'm definitely smoking less than I was, and keeping in mind that this is for my son and my health.

I agree. It's even worse when people post their opinions as though they are facts.

That peeves me endlessly! At least have the courtesy to say "In my opinion" or "so I have heard". That's how discussion turns into argument. Civility goes out the window when someone's talking out their ass.

*edit to add* Not that I'm innocent! :lol:

I thought you said that your pet peeves were endless. I was going to ask you if you were ME!

:lol:

I'm annoyed that I don't know what do to with all the crap I own! I have a lot, but my bf has more...I'd like to throw all of my offending stuff out, but most of it is teacher stuff! I don't want to throw out or give away any of my school stuff until I have a career and I know what I'm going to be teaching. ;)

I should get rid of my wardrobe circa 2000 though. <_<

That peeves me endlessly! At least have the courtesy to say "In my opinion" or "so I have heard". That's how discussion turns into argument. Civility goes out the window when someone's talking out their ass.

*edit to add* Not that I'm innocent! :lol:

He was referring to my post in the "Revolution" thread, Ev, in which he failed to read my post carefully enough to note my opinion was the same opinion as his, for which he'd already supplied the data, in a link labeled "my data." All this sort of thing makes me very tired. So, the energy to be civil went out the window, and I may hurl myself after it.

He was referring to my post in the "Revolution" thread, Ev, in which he failed to read my post carefully enough to note my opinion was the same opinion as his, for which he'd already supplied the data, in a link labeled "my data." All this sort of thing makes me very tired. So, the energy to be civil went out the window, and I may hurl myself after it.

It's interesting you recognized yourself in my post since it didn't have anything to do with you. The incident that compelled me to make the post in question wasn't even on this board. lol :rolleyes: But, now that you mention it, the post you made did sound like you were presenting it as fact instead of opinion. No mention of "in my opinion" or "I think"etc. Like Ev pointed out "At least have the courtesy to say "In my opinion" or "so I have heard". That's how discussion turns into argument. Civility goes out the window when someone's talking out their ass."

Thanks for pointing that out. :P

It's interesting you recognized yourself in my post since it didn't have anything to do with you. The incident that compelled me to make the post in question wasn't even on this board. lol :rolleyes: But, now that you mention it, the post you made did sound like you were presenting it as fact instead of opinion. No mention of "in my opinion" or "I think"etc. Like Ev pointed out "At least have the courtesy to say "In my opinion" or "so I have heard". That's how discussion turns into argument. Civility goes out the window when someone's talking out their ass."

Thanks for pointing that out. :P

Dear me, it must have been the timing that gave me that impression. I was indeed presenting my view as fact, because you had just provided the data that proved it. Thus no need for "in my opinion."

You can't have it both ways. :D

Dear me, it must have been the timing that gave me that impression. I was indeed presenting my view as fact, because you had just provided the data that proved it. Thus no need for "in my opinion."

You can't have it both ways. :D

You said "The fearmongers have indeed been successful enough to turn people against reform, by raising the groundless specter of Communist overthrow etc. and mischaracterizing scary changes that nobody has in fact suggested."

This is clearly an opinion not a fact. The data I provided was showing people don't want the change the dems are pushing. Your opinion may be that are people are too stupid to agree with you and have been persuaded by "mischaracterazations" but I don't share it.

You said "The fearmongers have indeed been successful enough to turn people against reform, by raising the groundless specter of Communist overthrow etc. and mischaracterizing scary changes that nobody has in fact suggested."

This is clearly an opinion not a fact. The data I provided was showing people don't want the change the dems are pushing. Your opinion may be that are people are too stupid to agree with you and have been persuaded by "mischaracterazations" but I don't share it.

Your data showed people don't want change (anymore--they did at one time), I agreed. I suggested a couple of reasons for it, but I also said the reasons were irrelevant, so the question of whether they were opinion or not (obviously, they were) is moot.

If I had the time and energy I could dig up the facts proving that nobody's going to euthanize Grandma (and if that idea's not mischaracterization I'd like to know what is), but there's not a lot of point, since you already know what you believe. And please don't put words in my mouth by saying I'm calling people stupid. You don't have to be stupid to be influenced by propaganda, which as we know both sides can use very effectively.

Goodbye, thread.

Your data showed people don't want change (anymore--they did at one time), I agreed. I suggested a couple of reasons for it, but I also said the reasons were irrelevant, so the question of whether they were opinion or not (obviously, they were) is moot.

If I had the time and energy I could dig up the facts proving that nobody's going to euthanize Grandma (and if that idea's not mischaracterization I'd like to know what is), but there's not a lot of point, since you already know what you believe. And please don't put words in my mouth by saying I'm calling people stupid. You don't have to be stupid to be influenced by propaganda, which as we know both sides can use very effectively.

Goodbye, thread.

You said "The fearmongers have indeed been successful enough to turn people against reform, by raising the groundless specter of Communist overthrow etc. and mischaracterizing scary changes that nobody has in fact suggested." That is your opinion that that is what happened. My opinion is that the more people heard about the dems plans the more they don't want it. My opinion is that propaganda isn't the main reason even though both sides try to use it.

lets see if you really can let it go and not try for the last word, <_<

Sorry, ldw. :'( And everyone else.

I'll keep out of the non-music discussion threads from now on.

Oh, don't worry, Aqua :) Don't leave these kind of threads because it wasn't your fault. And Electro's right - you contribute so, so much. If I'd have known it would've caused a stir I would never have said it. I suppose it's just the 'thing' to do when you're on a forum; you say your opinion (unless said otherwise) and people pounce on it and ask you for 'proof' and whatnot.

And, frankly, you shouldn't have to say use the disclaimer, 'In my opinion', either, because it's coming from you. Whos else's opinion would it be? Mine?

Don't be down. smile.gif

I know. Thank you, Electro :)

Archived