Todd Rundgren On Led Zeppelin Reforming

lajoie

re: what Carmine said-I read an interview with Jimmy where he says he actually wrote Beck's Bolero more than Beck did so If he 'stole' from it he stole from himself....as for Hendrix-he never lived to see the full greatness of the band, if he had I could see him revising his opinion somewhat. I'm sure back in the day all those musicians had 'things' to say about each other-Hell by all accounts Keith Moon didn't even want to be in the Who by about the time Jimmy started forming Zeppelin.....

I like the attitude of the fellow who wrote the riff from Dazed and Confused who basically said, 'let them have it, I could never have made as much with it...'

This whole issue is moot to me because Led Zeppelin was such a great band that all the niggling details hardly matter except as a topic of conversation and study or to the people who want to make money from their success with plagiarism suits.....all of which are history...

This is not even to mention the fact that the mere evolution of music is dependent to a degree on copying existing templates. For great bands to make greatness out of a riff here or there they might have heard somewhere does not lessen the greatness in my mind. To take away from Zeppelin the few songs they may have lifted a riff or two from would hardly have kept them from becoming (arguably) the greatest rock band of all time....

...oh right, who cares what Tod thinks, it's like if Neil Sedaka said he didn't like Bob Dylan's lyric writing....I don't think Bob would have impaled himself on his own pencil....

If Plant wanted to do the Zep reunion for the money, he would've done it long ago.

Exactly. At the snap of his fingers, Plant could command millions through a Zepp tour. His reluctance to do it speaks volumes...although I think we're all ready for those fingers to snap.

This is not even to mention the fact that the mere evolution of music is dependent to a degree on copying existing templates.

That's right! Rock is derived from blues, period. It's a little hypocritical for a rock guitarist to complain about someone stealing his licks when 90 percent of his are "borrowed" from the great blues players.

Todd Rundgren has always made it perfectly clear that he did The New Cars and even Ringo's All Starr Band for the money as he said "I need to pay the bills".

I love Todd, he's an extremely talented guy, but he's often courted controversy. He had a famous spat with Lennon in Melody Maker in the mid-70s

well, I don't know what Mr Rundgrens issue is, I don't hear his fans begging for a tour, and even if the tour was for money, what business of his is it anyway?

If Zep fans are willing to pay, then so be it!

If you actually read what Todd Rundgren said, he wasn't picking on Robert Plant at all, it's just some hysteria that the original poster is whipping up.

Todd said:

"And the only reason for him to reunite with the LED ZEPPELIN thing is because it would just be huge money involved, I guess. But he has an opportunity to play music that he feels like. Some music that he may feel actually more akin to than what he's, I guess, 'obligated' to do (laughs) at this point with LED ZEPPELIN."

So Todd is actually sticking up for Robert, which a lot of you missed (of course). He's saying that Robert has already found his creative direction in his solo career, so there's no artistic reason for him to return to Led Zep, it would only be for a huge amount of money.

That's a fair comment.

And disappointing that a lot of you took the original post for Gospel...

If you actually read what Todd Rundgren said, he wasn't picking on Robert Plant at all, it's just some hysteria that the original poster is whipping up.

Todd said:

"let there be light..."

just kidding.

"And the only reason for him to reunite with the LED ZEPPELIN thing is because it would just be huge money involved, I guess. But he has an opportunity to play music that he feels like. Some music that he may feel actually more akin to than what he's, I guess, 'obligated' to do (laughs) at this point with LED ZEPPELIN."

i think robert likes to play zep tunes from time to time. and every once in a while with zeppelin.

So Todd is actually sticking up for Robert, which a lot of you missed (of course). He's saying that Robert has already found his creative direction in his solo career, so there's no artistic reason for him to return to Led Zep, it would only be for a huge amount of money.

did todd say that? no artistic reason?

That's a fair comment.

an assumptive one, i'd say

i'm going to my room right now....

Todd said:

That's a fair comment.

Finally a post that gets Todd's point.

Todd does not sell out for a buck, (Nor does Robert) as evident by his career. I have personally met the man, and he is with out a doubt the most down to earth, coolest musician I have met.

His comments may take some reading between the lines (as does his music), but most folks are not overly capable of such tasks.

Get over yourselves and get a life.

His comments may take some reading between the lines (as does his music), but most folks are not overly capable of such tasks.

Get over yourselves and get a life.

Exactly! :D

Those here who presume to speak for Robert Plant please form a line behind Gainsbarre.

Yeah, I'm sure Robert just can't wait to hang out with the fans off the message board...

I presume to speak for theory of "Don't you get it, bitch?"

And what I'd like to say on behalf of that theory is that, some of you people, not all, but some of you, come on here, post 2,000 messages and think you're going to be Robert's best friend.

No. Stars don't hang out with fans, they don't become friends with fans. It's tacky and it's ill-advised.

Hi all,

^_^

Sorry, he bores me...someone wake me when he's gone.

Steve!Mate,let's have a crawl,a few pints! Wake up boyo! :D

As far as the lads go,I'll never see 'em.If I did,

I'd leave alone,why?I got the CD's you wankers! That's enough.They don't need me saying crap they heard before. "A smile is as good as a wink to a dead horse." Right Rod? <_<

Laddie,when you going to be across the pond?We can tell olde Rod Rugrat to toss off! :thumbsup:

KB(punter)

Hi all,

Steve!Mate,let's have a crawl,a few pints! Wake up boyo! :D

As far as the lads go,I'll never see 'em.If I did,

I'd leave alone,why?I got the CD's you wankers! That's enough.They don't need me saying crap they heard before. "A smile is as good as a wink to a dead horse." Right Rod? <_<

Laddie,when you going to be across the pond?We can tell olde Rod Rugrat to toss off! :thumbsup:

KB(punter)

On one occasion I had an opportunity to approach JPJ but he was with his wife and all three daughters. They'd come upstairs to congratulate Diamanda on that night's gig. If

I'd been the wanker Gainsbarre apparently thinks I am I could have asked right then

"Hey, John did you accompany Herman's Hermits on a tour of Germany in '67 to take

a break from session work?" This I did not do. It was their moment. However, I have found if you've got something particular interesting to discuss with them most people are receptive, to include "stars".

Hi all,

On one occasion I had an opportunity to approach JPJ but he was with his wife and all three daughters. They'd come upstairs to congratulate Diamanda on that night's gig. If

I'd been the wanker Gainsbarre apparently thinks I am I could have asked right then

"Hey, John did you accompany Herman's Hermits on a tour of Germany in '67 to take

a break from session work?" This I did not do. It was their moment. However, I have found if you've got something particular interesting to discuss with them most people are receptive, to include "stars".

Steve,well I kind of knew that already. My post was about,well,I run into some famous folks.I have also seen how*cough* people talk to them,*cough*. :rolleyes:

No matter,if your ever in beantown,give me a ring,eh? Then we can give a walk to Tod? :D

Cheers lad! :beer:

KB

Hi all,

Steve,well I kind of knew that already. My post was about,well,I run into some famous folks.I have also seen how*cough* people talk to them,*cough*. :rolleyes:

No matter,if your ever in beantown,give me a ring,eh? Then we can give a walk to Tod? :D

Cheers lad! :beer:

KB

Oh, your in Boston?! I was thinking you were in Greater London for some reason. I'd love to go to Boston. They finally got their underground super-highway completed. I want to

accellerate thru it at a high rate of speed and see how long it takes me to get thru.

Put a little No Quarter from MSG '73 on as background music. Lotta fun, lotta fun.

Hi All,

Oh, your in Boston?! I was thinking you were in Greater London for some reason. I'd love to go to Boston. They finally got their underground super-highway completed. I want to

accellerate thru it at a high rate of speed and see how long it takes me to get thru.

Put a little No Quarter from MSG '73 on as background music. Lotta fun, lotta fun.

Steve! Close enough. :D

You'd like Boston,we have plenty of idiots!

U mean the Big-Dig? Eeessh! I'll tell you a tale bout that!(i.e. not good lad!) :(

We'll go to Southie,yar know the Bulgers and the like,and good Irish pubs.

Have a go?

KB(we will have a grand old time!)

todd goes after zep???? OMG!

this reminds me of when he went after john lennon in MM ('74), i think lennon responded by an "opened lettuce to sodd runtlestuntle". classic. rundgren pissed him off by claiming the "beatles have no style other than being the beatles". lennon replied with "...that covers alot of style, man, including your own, to date!"

rundgren released a utopia album of songs (deface the music) replicating several beatle melody variants and songstyles, including a very strange song in the vein of "i am the walrus" entitled "everbody else is wrong".

interesting.

todd has issues, i'd say...

for my money, i'd like to see him go head-to-head with john paul jones-one man who can punture the overinflated and never work up a sweat...

Oh Johnny, I miss him so.

re: what Carmine said-I read an interview with Jimmy where he says he actually wrote Beck's Bolero more than Beck did so If he 'stole' from it he stole from himself....as for Hendrix-he never lived to see the full greatness of the band, if he had I could see him revising his opinion somewhat. I'm sure back in the day all those musicians had 'things' to say about each other-Hell by all accounts Keith Moon didn't even want to be in the Who by about the time Jimmy started forming Zeppelin.....

I like the attitude of the fellow who wrote the riff from Dazed and Confused who basically said, 'let them have it, I could never have made as much with it...'

This whole issue is moot to me because Led Zeppelin was such a great band that all the niggling details hardly matter except as a topic of conversation and study or to the people who want to make money from their success with plagiarism suits.....all of which are history...

This is not even to mention the fact that the mere evolution of music is dependent to a degree on copying existing templates. For great bands to make greatness out of a riff here or there they might have heard somewhere does not lessen the greatness in my mind. To take away from Zeppelin the few songs they may have lifted a riff or two from would hardly have kept them from becoming (arguably) the greatest rock band of all time....

...oh right, who cares what Tod thinks, it's like if Neil Sedaka said he didn't like Bob Dylan's lyric writing....I don't think Bob would have impaled himself on his own pencil....

Good post.

Archived