Todd Rundgren On Led Zeppelin Reforming

lajoie

I think someone earlier said something about Rundgrens catsuit & potatoes?

Err, that was me. So thanks for telling me about something I suggested. :rolleyes:

I don't think Led Zeppelin thought Todd was "irreleveant" when they put him on the bill at Knebworth. And yes, they did have a say in that.

Err, that was me. So thanks for telling me about something I suggested. :rolleyes:

I don't think Led Zeppelin thought Todd was "irreleveant" when they put him on the bill at Knebworth. And yes, they did have a say in that.

Maybe Jimmy wanted Todd on the bill to lure Bebe Buell to the UK. It wouldn't shock me! :rolleyes:

Todd Rundgren.....seroiusly? WOW!! The man who most people can't remember the band he was in has something to say about Robert Plant. He is the moron who said he "didn't miss Freddie Mercury" on the new tour who was the heart and soul of Queen and had (arguably) the greatest voice in rock history. Todd needs to shut up and keep making us forget what he actually does.

Simply put, Mr. Rundgren is a legend in his own mind. As was said earlier, The New Cars.................... excuse me while I PUKE :o

Peace.

"Art changes people, people change the world." - John Butler

All The members of Led Zeppelin are gentlemen ,they were gracious to Rundgren ,so his recent coments were not cool.

From a 2006 interview with Carmine Appice:

Carmine: "They opened up for us. We had them on their first bill. Robert Plant was green. They didn't even have a name when we started touring with them. On the first gig we actually paid their fee. The promoter didn't even want them on the tour as the gig was already sold out with VANILLA FUDGE and SPIRIT. He didn't want to pay for LED ZEPPELIN so we paid them their fee for the gig. I actually think we paid them half their fee. I helped John Bonham get his Ludwig endorsement. We were close and we watched them grow.

"But ZEPPELIN did borrow from others. Jimi Hendrix personally told me that he didn't like ZEPPELIN because they were like excess baggage and that they stole from everybody. 'You Shook Me' was on JEFF BECK's record. 'Dazed & Confused' has a bit of VANILLA FUDGE on it and it has parts of 'Beck's Bolero' in it. I think I was told by a member of the band that the 'Good Times Bad Times' riff came from Tim Bogart's bass line. When I listen to that, it sounds like Tim. When I first heard John Bonham do that triplet thing on the bass drum, I went up to him and said, 'John, that is amazing. I have to admit that I took that from you.' He looked at me and said, 'What are you talking about? I took that from you!' I replied, 'I don't do that. You couldn't have taken it from me.' He proceeded to tell me where I did actually do that on the first VANILLA FUDGE record and he was right. I only did it for a moment on that album and he took it and made something bigger and better out of it. We used to go and sit on the side of the stage and watch ZEPPELIN. We hung out in the dressing rooms."

Is Carmine lying? If he is, take it up with him.

Hi all,

I find it sad in many ways that anyone talking about anything has to put someone or somethiing down.It kind makes one want to vomit! :D

As far as Jimi goes,I always saw him as this humble soul except when he was on stage!

I read this a looog time ago in Guitar,Guitar Player,etc,etc,....it was a loooog time ago,..

Q: What do you think about Led Zeppelin?

J: I don't think them too much,but Jimmy Page is a really good guitar player.

KB (thinking about lemons)

From a 2006 interview with Carmine Appice:

Carmine: "They opened up for us. We had them on their first bill. Robert Plant was green. They didn't even have a name when we started touring with them. On the first gig we actually paid their fee. The promoter didn't even want them on the tour as the gig was already sold out with VANILLA FUDGE and SPIRIT. He didn't want to pay for LED ZEPPELIN so we paid them their fee for the gig. I actually think we paid them half their fee. I helped John Bonham get his Ludwig endorsement. We were close and we watched them grow.

"But ZEPPELIN did borrow from others. Jimi Hendrix personally told me that he didn't like ZEPPELIN because they were like excess baggage and that they stole from everybody. 'You Shook Me' was on JEFF BECK's record. 'Dazed & Confused' has a bit of VANILLA FUDGE on it and it has parts of 'Beck's Bolero' in it. I think I was told by a member of the band that the 'Good Times Bad Times' riff came from Tim Bogart's bass line. When I listen to that, it sounds like Tim. When I first heard John Bonham do that triplet thing on the bass drum, I went up to him and said, 'John, that is amazing. I have to admit that I took that from you.' He looked at me and said, 'What are you talking about? I took that from you!' I replied, 'I don't do that. You couldn't have taken it from me.' He proceeded to tell me where I did actually do that on the first VANILLA FUDGE record and he was right. I only did it for a moment on that album and he took it and made something bigger and better out of it. We used to go and sit on the side of the stage and watch ZEPPELIN. We hung out in the dressing rooms."

Is Carmine lying? If he is, take it up with him.

Amazing you come back a day later to type up that trash-----you clearly have a problem---this is Not an official copy of a magizine article--you type:from a 2006 interview with Carmine Apice??? Then when I stated a fact of recent common knowledge that last week Robert Plant had a radio interview with Steve Jones which anyone can listen to Jonesy Jukebox Jan.30/08 indie 103.1 fm--your posts on this thread are clear intentions of ill will ,not in support positively of Led Zeppelin. Nice photo ,but your words betray you.Frankly you had no bussiness saying to me Knock it off---this post from you is not an Olive Branch ! edit to add :No my thread starter is not an official artical it is something I wrote. However it was from that mornings online interviews--which I later posted,and are currently still on line for all to read.

Hi all,

I find it sad in many ways that anyone talking about anything has to put someone or somethiing down.It kind makes one want to vomit! :D

As far as Jimi goes,I always saw him as this humble soul except when he was on stage!

I read this a looog time ago in Guitar,Guitar Player,etc,etc,....it was a loooog time ago,..

Q: What do you think about Led Zeppelin?

J: I don't think them too much,but Jimmy Page is a really good guitar player.

KB (thinking about lemons)

yes, as most know, Jimi was a very humble human being. He very well may not of liked LZ at the time, but he wasn't one to put others down in order to exalte himself...he obviously had no need for that!

Wasn't the Comment that Jimi Hendrix said at the begining of his woodstock set."Some People Play loud music, but we play Good Music loud". I always thoght that was a jab at Zep. Zep i think were known to be very loud and they also skipped the woodstock fest for the Atlanta Pop festival(?) because they wanted to headline? I think the three remaing memebers of zep decided long ago they don't need anymore money and the only reason they will go out is to prove theyre still better anybody.

If you`ve read the opener of this thread You can ultimately see my great consern is the current state of Rock-n-Roll ---------It needs help--------------It would be nice to see a more Unity ! :kiss: As for Hendrix ,alot of people don`t know the difficult struggle he went through---serious-as a musician in the late 1950`s he had been fortunate to live in a racially diverse community in Seattle ,however at time not everyone was as open, he traveled and played with a lot of different people. His heart was good--some people had expectactions on him.If you don`t know much about him I suggest to read up.He was an extremely important person in Rock music.Many years ago I was at an old stuffy rundown hall in Seattle attending a consert with :Taj Mahal & Elizabeth Cotton--after a guy walked up to the people I was there with and started a converstion--said he was a relative of Jimi Hendrix and did we want to come by and chat?Well we went ,I don`t recall if it was his Father,brother or cousin,but who ever he was he had tons of personal photo albums with Jimi Hendrix & family in them ! Blew my mind !

Hi all,

Wasn't the Comment that Jimi Hendrix said at the begining of his woodstock set."Some People Play loud music, but we play Good Music loud". I always thoght that was a jab at Zep. Zep i think were known to be very loud and they also skipped the woodstock fest for the Atlanta Pop festival(?) because they wanted to headline? I think the three remaing memebers of zep decided long ago they don't need anymore money and the only reason they will go out is to prove theyre still better anybody.

Saturday,August 16 1969 Ashbury Park,New Jersey (Hi Bruce!!!!)

Peter Grant:

We were asked to do Woodstock and Atlantic were very keen, and so was our US promoter,Frank Barcelona.I said no because at Woodstock we'd have just been another band on the bill

KB(roll me in the mud)

All I can say is........who cares. :rolleyes: Rundgren can say whatever he wants...and no one should loose a minute's sleep over it. No one needs to defend the honor of Led Zeppelin. Especially kids on a forum that were'nt alive when Zep was formed. Album and concert ticket sales have spoken for you.

The thing of it is....a tour now would in fact be a cash grab. Promoters are'nt offering enormous amouts of $$ for the sake of art. They know they can charge an arm and a leg for 3 old guys to play the same setlist night after night.

How I do enjoy it when Honeydripper walks into a thread holding the Sword of Truth.

"People talking but they just don't know"

I never did or will disparage Jimi Hendrix. Don't be so weak . Grow a set of 'nads. Or borrow one of Todd Rundgren's " potatoes."

What I do know is This thread began about Rundgrens current comments of Robert Plant--and the recent news reporting of them --It had nothing to do with comments that may or not have been made 5,10,20 or 30 something years ago.Nor was it a question of can you tell me who in the music industry other then Rundgren has ever said crap about Led Zeppelin or its members.For the record Rolling Stone in history past was not cool to them ,however that is not now,In case you were not aware Led Zeppelin was just on a Rolling Stone cover ? Never Mind the Bollocks! You need to grow up ! you can`t play oohhh poor me , you misunderstood.Buddy when you made an itemized list from history long gone past and then came back with more rubish you burned yourself even more .

todddd is saying negative stuff to get press. there were lots of younger members here who probably didn't know his name before it was mentioned in this thread. another thing

is these other bands vanilla fudge, the nazz, hendrix etc, are zeppelin's siblings. it's only natural to quarrel. siblings will accuse each other of ripping their ideas off or stealing their chance . no matter how far your bigger brother goes , to you he will still be an idiot and "lucky" and "standing in your spotlight". they'll always compair themselves to each other. deep down inside siblings care about each other though. their problems should be kept in the family. the opinions they project about each other to outsiders are useless to us and warped. todd's obviously the spoiled brat at the table. who's the daddy? smack the shit out of him already.

todd goes after zep???? OMG!

this reminds me of when he went after john lennon in MM ('74), i think lennon responded by an "opened lettuce to sodd runtlestuntle". classic. rundgren pissed him off by claiming the "beatles have no style other than being the beatles". lennon replied with "...that covers alot of style, man, including your own, to date!"

rundgren released a utopia album of songs (deface the music) replicating several beatle melody variants and songstyles, including a very strange song in the vein of "i am the walrus" entitled "everbody else is wrong".

interesting.

todd has issues, i'd say...

for my money, i'd like to see him go head-to-head with john paul jones-one man who can punture the overinflated and never work up a sweat...

Archived