Spinal Tap

JethroTull

Seems like most music boards have a topic about Spinal Tap. I couldn't find a one here, so here goes.

Interesting fact #1 - On the Jethro Tull albums 1972's Thick as a Brick(a newspaper article)and 1973's A Passion Play(the name of one of the performers) there are references to a Derek Smalls. Derek Smalls is one of the Spinal Tap band members.

Nigel is playing a soft piece on the piano]

Marty DiBergi: It's very pretty.

Nigel Tufnel: Yeah, I've been fooling around with it for a few months.

Marty DiBergi: It's a bit of a departure from what you normally play.

Nigel Tufnel: It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.

Marty DiBergi: It's very nice.

Nigel Tufnel: You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of...

Marty DiBergi: What do you call this?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Nigel is playing a soft piece on the piano]

Marty DiBergi: It's very pretty.

Nigel Tufnel: Yeah, I've been fooling around with it for a few months.

Marty DiBergi: It's a bit of a departure from what you normally play.

Nigel Tufnel: It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.

Marty DiBergi: It's very nice.

Nigel Tufnel: You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of...

Marty DiBergi: What do you call this?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

One of my fav moments in the film :lol:

You know that the actor that played the bassist voices Mr. Burns in the Simpsons??

Spinal Tap is ace I love there nod to Sabbaths early 80s tour of the U.S with the shoddy looking StoneHenge set.

The irony is that Sabbath hadn't yet commenced their Stonehenge tour! It was an utter coincidence!!! They'd already shot the scenes when the Sabs were on their tour! :hysterical:

Hello Cleveland!!! :D

One of my fav moments in the film :lol:

You know that the actor that played the bassist voices Mr. Burns in the Simpsons??

:lol: The airport scene is great. The cucumber incident. :hysterical:

I think I'll watch it again tonight.

One of my favorite flicks, it's awesome.

David St. Hubbins: We say, "Love your brother." We don't say it really, but...

Nigel Tufnel: We don't literally say it.

David St. Hubbins: No, we don't say it.

Nigel Tufnel: We don't really, literally mean it.

David St. Hubbins: No, we don't believe it either, but...

Nigel Tufnel: But we're not racists.

David St. Hubbins: But that message should be clear, anyway.

Nigel Tufnel: We're anything but racists

Ian Faith: Nigel gave me a drawing that said 18 inches. Now, whether or not he knows the difference between feet and inches is not my problem. I do what I'm told.

David St. Hubbins: But you're not as confused as him are you. I mean, it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel.

Bobbi Flekman: You put a *greased naked woman* on all fours with a dog collar around her neck, and a leash, and a man's arm extended out up to here, holding onto the leash, and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff it. You don't find that offensive? You don't find that sexist?

Ian Faith: This is *1982*, Bobbi, c'mon!

Bobbi Flekman: That's *right*, it's 1982! Get out of the '60s. We don't have this mentality anymore.

Ian Faith: Well, you should have seen the cover they *wanted* to do! It wasn't a glove, believe me

:lol:

Ian Faith: They're not gonna release the album... because they have decided that the cover is sexist.

Nigel Tufnel: Well, so what? What's wrong with bein' sexy? I mean there's no...

Ian Faith: Sex-IST!

David St. Hubbins: IST!

NIGEL: He did a twist on it. A twist and it’s..

DEREK: He did, he did. He turned it around.

IAN: We shoulda thought of that....

DAVID: We were so close....

IAN: I mean if we had all you guys tied up, that probably woulda been fine.

ALL: Ah....

IAN: But it’s...it’s still a stupid cover.

DAVID: It’s such a fine line between stupid an’...

DEREK: ...and clever.

DAVID: Yeah, and clever.

IAN: Oh there’s uhh...the other thing is that the uh...the Boston gig has been cancelled.

NIGEL: What?

IAN: Yeah. I wouldn’t worry about it though. It’s not a big college town.

---

Wikipedia: "Boston's reputation as the Athens of America derives in large part from the teaching and research activities of more than 100 colleges and universities located in the Greater Boston Area,[58] with more than 250,000 students attending college in Boston and Cambridge alone."

Before Spinal Tap, The Comic Strip (UK comedians) did Bad News and More Bad News..2 fantastically funny heavy metal parodies

badnews2ye7.jpg

badnewsrb5.jpg

They even played Donnington '86!

And, imo, far funnier than Spinal Tap

Ten years before Bad News, Christopher Guest and the rest of the National Lampoon crew (Harry Shearer, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, etc.) did the show Lemmings, which parodied hippies/60s music. This is where the seeds of both Saturday Night Live and Spinal Tap were formed.

Spinal Tap also was written and in production when Bad News debuted in '83.

• 1 month later...

I'd been a "Tap" fan since it came out but after I got the DVD with the actors'/writers' commentary alternate audio track it was like seeing again for the first time. That, plus, the all the deleted scenes that are included. If you don't have it, buy or rent it SOON. :D

I love this movie. I have Smell The Glove and Break Like The Wind on CD.

I love the part where they get Smell The Glove and it's black. David says "This is black, it doesn't look like anything I'd put on my turntable." I don't know about him but axcept for my picture discs all my vinyl is black.

Well, I know when I watch that movie I feel like a preserved moose once again. I have the movie where you can choose between the original movie or one with comments from the cast as the movie plays. The "comment" one has a lot of new funny lines and is well worth watching.

• 1 month later...
One of their drummers died in a freak gardening accident. Later down the track, Toto's drummer died of a similar cause and more recently, ABBA's drummer died the same. They certainly did know something we don't know :lol:

I wouldn't say this was the funniest aspect of the movie, personally. :unsure:

The dressing room scene where Nigel is trying to make sandwiches with pumpernickel bread, sure. :D

Archived