world records?

poortom

i was just wondering if Led Zeppelin hold any world records for anything? Any help?

At one time they held the Guinness World Record for largest attendance for a single performance by one artist. That was for their show at the Pontiac Silverdome in front of over 76,000 people in April 1977. Don't think they hold it any longer. Also had their entire catalog of nine albums on the Billboard 200 after the release of ITTOD. Not sure of other records they may hold.

Top ten concert by attendance #1 Sir Rodney 3,5 mil Rio

http://www.rockandrollbadboy.com/topattendance.html

Seems to me half those single act concerts were free and the other half were festivals featuring multiple acts.

I think if Zepplelin were to do one of those free concert deals they would easily top Rod and Garth in fact they would have to have it on the salt flats in Utah. I can't think of a bigger place at the moment that could hold all the people.

RjK

Also had their entire catalog of nine albums on the Billboard 200 after the release of ITTOD. Not sure of other records they may hold.

Not true, b/c Pearl Jam broke the record 2x in 2001 with their bootleg albums bein in the charts. Each leg was released a different week about a month apart. For the Euro leg 5 albums showed up, and for the North American leg 7 showed up, so Zep never had 9 or even 5 albums in the top 200, at once.

guesses for a zeppelin record would be groupies, white lady (assuming keith richards isnt his own band), or maybe overall show attendance from '68 till 80. (though its unlikely to find such a headcount)

im willing to bet that the PJ live shows consisted of prereleased tunes. PJ has 8 studio albums including the b-sides record and that just puts zeppelin right back in the godfather rocking chair

At one time they held the Guinness World Record for largest attendance for a single performance by one artist. That was for their show at the Pontiac Silverdome in front of over 76,000 people in April 1977. Don't think they hold it any longer. Also had their entire catalog of nine albums on the Billboard 200 after the release of ITTOD. Not sure of other records they may hold.

Yes, indeed, it was a record attendance. As has been pointed out, the key words here are "one artist".So,not a festival, then, and I'd personally say that free shows are tricky to include as a real measure of an artist/band's popularity.Maybe.Still...given those restrictions, we're stuck with Pontiac so far. I too was convinced the attendance had been beaten...but by who,or whom, and where and when ?

BTW...This is all based on the idea that there was no support, no special guests etc at the Pontiac show. That is true.Isn't it?

• 9 months later...
Not true, b/c Pearl Jam broke the record 2x in 2001 with their bootleg albums bein in the charts. Each leg was released a different week about a month apart. For the Euro leg 5 albums showed up, and for the North American leg 7 showed up, so Zep never had 9 or even 5 albums in the top 200, at once.[

???? according to Billboard they did......

Archived