The Recipe Thread

Nathan

Lentils are known mainly as a soup dish. If you like stir frys they are a good choice for vegetarians. Put two two to three tablespoons olive or canola oil in either a wok or non stick pan, I use Cephelon. Cut your vegetables, I would use cooking onions, 3, baby carrots and split them length wise, celery, three stalks split down the middle and then cut into smaller pieces, mishrooms, pre sliced package, pea pods, peppers, a color variety is nice, green, yellow, orange, but green will do a I know the others are pricy, amd any others that you like. Sautee over medium high heat and toss frequenty once they get hot. Before cooking the vegetables, in a seperate covered pan boil two or three cups water and boil covered. willl not take long. once the wather comes to a boil remove from heat. Add equal amount off white rice, stir and cover and set aside to absorb the water. After sauteeing the vegetables until soft use a stir fry sauce of your choice. I prefer sun king packet. You make it ahead, 1/3 cup water, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, perhaps a dash of fresh lemon juice, optional. Add three quarters of the sauce to stir fry once cooked and continue to toss on heat. It will thicken and then add rest of sauce. Serve on a plate over rice. If you want to make a real good one, ue shrimp. If you do this you will cook the shrimp in oil first before adding vegetables. Once the raw shrimp hit that hot oil they will turn from gray to pink instantly. Remember to buy raw shrimp. Thaw in cold water, devein. Asparagus goies well with shrimp and for those that like spicy like me, you can get szeshuan sauce, in packet. I prefer all packet mixes to pre made. Even turkey gravy. McCormicks is a very good brand. I do all the cooking in my house. I used to cool in restaurants. Italian,Jewish, and such places as Lums even if one can remember them. I ran breakfast and lunch all by myself. And had to do prep at the same time. Well, my famous beef stew recipe is here pages back. I highly recommend. I wil post my ribs and southern fried chicken later.

Thanks Silver, I do do alot of stirfrys with whatever veggies I have in the fridge. It's easy to seperate the vegs for my daughter and then add any meat I have to satisfy the hubby. But I do not use alot of pre packaged mixes. I read labels and if it has MSG or hydrolysed oils I don't buy them. I prefer to make my own. Usually soy sauce, sesame oil, broth, little sugar, rice vinegar and peanut butter. Our favorite for oriental dishes. Hoisin sauce is good too.

But when I think of lentils I think more of Indian flavors with curry. Our business partner is from India and whenever we have gone to their house you call always smell the curry. It's too hot to be making soups with lentils but when winter rolls around I will be trying more soup recipes.

If I'm buying raw shrimp I usually skewer it and throw it on the barbeque.

I've never made rice the way you show. I shall try it next time I make rice. I usually have basamti rice.

Whatever you do with your lentils, if you're a lentil newbie, be prepared for a shock!

The first time I made my now legendary lentil & bacon soup (which also features copious quantities of split yellow peas), I thought I was levitating four hours later. But I soon discovered that I was actually being propelled upwards by the highly pressurised vapour escaping from my back passage.

So enjoy, but 'proceed with caution'! And avoid naked flames!:D

:hysterical:

That sounds uncomfortable and thanks for the tip. I have been using them and other beans in moderation, more as a supplement to a dish rather than the main dish.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :welcome2:

It took me until last year to attempt Beef Wellington for the first time. I'd eaten it several times before, but always assumed it would be really difficult to get it right. Well, it's a bit fiddly, but it's not at all difficult, and it came out PERFECT the first time. Here's what I did:

Get a Big Log :) of fillet beef, size depending on appetite or number of participants. (DO NOT try to get away with a cheaper cut. I tried once, and it sucked.) Brush with olive oil and cook in ovenon a high heat for 5-10 mins to brown. Leave to cool.

Prepare the duxelles. This is a mushroom, white wine & herb reduction. Chop a load of mushrooms (preferably flat mushrooms) as finely as possible, ideally the size of breadcrumbs. Yeah, I know. Fry in a little olive oil with a sprig of lemon thyme until it begins to turn to mush. Add a hefty glug of white wine, and continue to fry until the wine has evaporated and the reducton is paste-like. Remove the thyme, mix with an equal quantity of smooth liver pate and allow to cool.

Lay out a sheet of cling-film, and on it create a bed of prosciutto or similar thin ham, in slightly overlapping rows, 2 inches or so wider than the length of the beef, and long enough to roll around it with a slight overlap. The point is that the ham should form a barrier to prevent too much of the beef's juices from leaking out and softening the pastry, although a little seepage is inevitable. Spead the duxelles/pate mix evenly to cover the ham.

Place the beef onto the bed, and carefully roll the bed around tightly around the beef, using the clingfilm, until you have created a tube. (Hint: the ham, and NOT the duxelles, should be on the outside :D). Seal the ends of the tube by twisting the cling-film, and place the fully-sealed tube in the fridge for 45mins to set.

Roll a sufficent quantity of puff pastry, then carefully remove the cling-film from the tube, place it on the pastry, and wrap & seal the pastry. Cut some shallow venting slits, and brush with egg.

Cook on a medium heat for 25 minutes, 30 maximum. The fillet beef should remain pink in the middle when cooked, although this is not to everyone's taste. But that's how it SHOULD be.

It can also be prepared in individual portions, with the cooking time reduced accordingly. But a Big Log :D is much more fulfilling.

Serve with potatoes of your choice (Dauphinoise goes well), a nice thick red wine gravy, and seasonal vegetables.

Hmmm.......I think I'll cook that tomorrow :D DIET'S ON HOLD!!!!! :D:D

Thanks Silver, I do do alot of stirfrys with whatever veggies I have in the fridge. It's easy to seperate the vegs for my daughter and then add any meat I have to satisfy the hubby. But I do not use alot of pre packaged mixes. I read labels and if it has MSG or hydrolysed oils I don't buy them. I prefer to make my own. Usually soy sauce, sesame oil, broth, little sugar, rice vinegar and peanut butter. Our favorite for oriental dishes. Hoisin sauce is good too.

But when I think of lentils I think more of Indian flavors with curry. Our business partner is from India and whenever we have gone to their house you call always smell the curry. It's too hot to be making soups with lentils but when winter rolls around I will be trying more soup recipes.

If I'm buying raw shrimp I usually skewer it and throw it on the barbeque.

I've never made rice the way you show. I shall try it next time I make rice. I usually have basamti rice.

Olive and Canola are the best oils for you. Coconut oil has some very good uses, but must by Spectrum, unrefined. Walmart has it for about $9 a jar. Ill tell you a little secret. The next time you make Betty Crocker brownies, instead of using canola oil, microwave a half cup of coconut oil for the brownies. You will love it. For most cooking canola is the best for you. Less unsaturated fat. But extra virgin olive oil is great for you too. It has the "good fats" just like Walnuts. Stay clear of any vegetable oil. Once in a while if you are going to make southern fried chicken, break down and use Crisco. I like Martha Stewarts recipe where you soak your chicken over night in buttermilk. Comes out great. As for vegetables they must be either frozen or fresh. No canned for me except corn. My mother worked for Birds Eye for years. Her job just ended as they relocated to Jersey. She gave me a box of asparagus and I still have some in freezer. Wrapped individually. Well cut. I sometimes splurge and get hollandaise sauce for it. Its also good for cauliflower. Now make sure to go back and find Yukon's beef stew recipe for winter. You will love itt!!! Take care.

One of my Led Zeppelin friends asked about this recipe today. I usually let the people eating the stuff add their own sour cream (fat free at that) and cheese, and I always add more spices. It's delicious!

WHITE CHICKEN CHILI RECIPE

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 onion, chopped (small onion)

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

3-4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast

4 (15 ounce) cans drained white beans

1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1 Med. container sour cream

Serves: 10

DIRECTIONS:

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly cook and stir the onion until tender. Mix in the garlic, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Continue to cook and stir the mixture until tender, about 3 minutes. Mix in the chicken broth, chicken and white beans. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove the mixture from heat. Slowly stir in the cheese until melted. Serve warm

Note: I thickened the chili by adding a water/cornstarch mixture when the soup came to a boil.

Edited by manderlyh

One of my Led Zeppelin friends asked about this recipe today. I usually let the people eating the stuff add their own sour cream (fat free at that) and cheese, and I always add more spices. It's delicious!

WHITE CHICKEN CHILI RECIPE

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 onion, chopped (small onion)

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

3-4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast

4 (15 ounce) cans drained white beans

1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1 Med. container sour cream

Serves: 10

DIRECTIONS:

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly cook and stir the onion until tender. Mix in the garlic, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Continue to cook and stir the mixture until tender, about 3 minutes. Mix in the chicken broth, chicken and white beans. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove the mixture from heat. Slowly stir in the cheese until melted. Serve warm

Note: I thickened the chili by adding a water/cornstarch mixture when the soup came to a boil.

Sounds good Mandy. This is something I could make and split to have a vegetarian dish before I add the chicken. And serving it with warm corn tortilllas and a salad would complete the meal. Oh yeah...and a Margarita!

For sure! I have made it without the chicken for my vegetarian friend. She loves it.

Here's another one I got from the Today Show--Giada De Laurentiis is the person to credit the recipe with.

I always put more bread crumbs than it calls for, more tomatoes, and more cheese. I'm a cheese girl. ;)

I never cut the tomatoes. They deflate and they're fine. Oh, and sometimes, I can't find yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, so I don't use them--I just double the red ones.

Pasta Ponza recipe

Pasta Ponza

Ingredients

• Butter for greasing
  • 2 cups (12 ounces) red cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 2 cups (12 ounces) yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
  • 1/2 cup Italian-style seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 1 pound ziti or other short tube-shaped pasta
  • 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 ounces) Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 8-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.

Place the tomatoes, capers, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in the prepared baking dish. Toss to coat. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the tomato mixture. Drizzle the top with olive oil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the top is golden. Cool for 5 minutes.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water.

Place the pasta in a large serving bowl. Spoon the tomato mixture onto the pasta. Add the cheese and toss well. Thin out the sauce with a little pasta water, if needed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.

This is probably one of my favorite recipes and it's great for both meat-eaters and vegetarians alike.

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms

Ingredients

• 3 portobello mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Directions
  1. Clean mushrooms and remove stems, reserve for other use. Place caps on a plate with the gills up.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the oil, onion, garlic and vinegar. Pour mixture evenly over the mushroom caps and let stand for 1 hour.
  3. Grill over hot grill for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

That goes very well with this orzo salad, and if you wanted to, you could put the salad inside the grilled mushroom caps.

Refreshing Summer Orzo Salad

Ingredients

• 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (16 ounce) package orzo pasta
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup pine nuts
  • 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
  • 1 (2 ounce) jar capers, with liquid
  • 12 ounces basil-flavored feta cheese
  • 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach leaves, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions
  1. Bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo pasta, and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well, then pour the orzo into a bowl, and toss with the butter to keep it from sticking; set aside.
  2. While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook until the garlic softens and the aroma mellows, about 2 minutes. Stir in the basil, thyme, red pepper flakes, and pine nuts. Cook and stir until the pine nuts have toasted to a light golden brown.
  3. Stir the pine nut mixture into the orzo along with the olives, capers, feta cheese, spinach, and lemon juice. Serve either warm or cold, but it's better the next day.

• 7 months later...

I haven't posted here in, like, a bazillion years. Why not begin again in this thread, which I started?

But first?

Chocolate Guinness cupcakes (three of my favourite things together :D mmmmm...)

Makes 24 cupcakes

Cupcake ingredients

1 (12-ounce) bottle Guinness stout

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

3 large eggs

3/4 cup sour cream

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, plus more for garnish

2 cups sugar

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

Frosting ingredients

1 (8-ounce) pkg cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 lb confectioners' sugar

Cocoa powder, for dusting

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the Guinness, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the sour cream.

3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, and baking soda. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet Guinness mixture.

4. Butter 24 muffin tins and divide the batter among the muffin tins.

5. Bake 25 minutes, until risen and set in the middle but still soft and tender. Cool before turning out of the tins.

6. Beat the cream cheese in a bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the heavy cream. Slowly mix in the confectioners' sugar. Top each cupcake with a heap of frosting and dust with cocoa.

Anyone made this? Can it be made without the milk and maybe less sour cream? I find my taste for creamy leaving and my taste for bittersweet growing (even with ice cream... I prefer a fruity ice cream or an Italian Ice to a classic ice cream these days).

Also, I'd love to make a completely non-dairy version of this for those I know who are Jewish (for after a meat meal).

Anyways... I have some recipes from this place called "Top Secret Recipes" run by Todd Wilbur.

So here's one I will share. You all know the classic Auntie Anne's Pretzels, right?

Well...

I'm sorry to say that it's not one of his free recipes. (That's a link to the recipe page.) However, I bought it a long time ago, so here it is, in full:

The first Auntie Anne's pretzel store opened in 1988 in the heart of pretzel country - a Pennsylvanian Amish farmers' market. Over 500 stores later, Auntie Anne's is one of the most requested secret clone recipes around, especially on the internet. Many of the recipes passed around the Web require bread flour, and some use honey as a sweetener. But by analyzing the Auntie Anne's home pretzel-making kit in the secret underground laboratory, I've discovered a better solution for re-creating the delicious mall treats than any clone recipe out there. For the best quality dough, you just need all-purpose flour. And powdered sugar works great to perfectly sweeten the dough. Now you just have to decide if you want to make the more traditional salted pretzels, or the sweet cinnamon sugar-coated kind. Decisions, decisions.

1 1/4 cups warm water

1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon yeast

3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Bath

4 cups warm water

1/2 cup baking soda

1/4 cup butter, melted

kosher or pretzel salt

Cinnamon Topping

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water in a small bowl or cup. Let it sit for a few minutes.

2. Combine flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add water with yeast and vegetable oil. Stir with a spoon and then use your hands to form the dough into a ball. Knead the dough for 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface. Dough will be nice and smooth when it's ready. Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover it, and store it in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.

3. When dough has risen, preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

4. Make a bath for the pretzels by combining the baking soda with the warm water and stir until baking soda is mostly dissolved.

5. Remove the dough from the bowl and divide it into 8 even portions. Roll each portion on a flat non-floured surface until it is about 3 feet long. Pick up both ends of the dough and give it a little spin so the middle of the dough spins around once. Lay the dough down with the loop nearest to you. Fold the ends down toward you and pinch to attach them to the bottom of the loop. The twist should be in the middle.

6. Holding the pinched ends, dip each pretzel into the bath solution. Put each pretzel on a paper towel for a moment to blot the excess liquid. Arrange the pretzels on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. If you want salt, sprinkle pretzels with kosher or pretzel salt. Don't salt any pretzels you plan to coat with cinnamon sugar. You will likely have to use two baking sheets, and be sure to bake them separately. Bake the pretzels for 4 minutes, then spin the pan halfway around and bake for another 4 to 5 minutes or until the pretzels are golden brown.

7. Remove the pretzels from the oven, and let them cool for a couple of minutes. If you want to eat some now, brush 'em with melted butter first, if desired, before serving. If you want the cinnamon sugar coating, make it by combining the 1/2 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl. Brush the unsalted pretzels you plan to coat with a generous amount of melted butter. Sprinkle a heavy coating of the cinnamon sugar onto the entire surface of the pretzels over a plate. Munch out.

Makes 8 pretzels.

And here's a couple comments I collected from the recipe page:

Randy

7/5/2007 8:36:00 PM

I found a much easier way to roll out the pretzels is to place the dough between two pieces of press-n-seal wrap (instead of in a bowl) and set it out on the kitchen counter. Let it rise for 3 hours so it is nice and soft, then use a PIZZA CUTTER wheel to slice off pieces to roll out into pretzels. It makes it so much easier to roll them out, and the process goes MUCH faster!

Gentry

9/18/2007 3:14:00 PM

This recipe is fantastic! Better than Auntie Anne's. They are a lot of work, but much easier if you use the dough setting on your bread machine. Just follow your machine's instructions on what order to add the ingredients. They are also very good with half whole wheat flour!

I really want to know how y'all did. When I made them, they turned out really, really good. They weren't exactly like Auntie Anne's, but they were the closest I've ever come to Auntie Anne's pretzels without actually buying one.

Enjoy!

Edited by Nathan

FOR THE BASE

For the filling

For the fudge sauce

Preparation method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/365F/Gas 4.
  2. Mix the biscuits and melted butter together in a bowl. Press the mixture into the base and sides of a 23cm/9in springfrom tin. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
  3. For the filling, melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water).

Technique: Melting chocolate p008s5hs_640_360.jpgWatch technique1:07 mins
  4. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl for 5-6 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Fold in the cream and melted chocolate mixture. Pour into the chilled springform tin and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until just set. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
  5. Meanwhile, for the fudge sauce, heat all of the fudge sauce ingredients in a saucepan, stirring regularly, over a medium heat until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
  6. spread the sauce over the cooled pie and chill in the fridge for 20mins. Serve with double cream.

FOR THE BASE

For the filling

For the fudge sauce

Preparation method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/365F/Gas 4.
  2. Mix the biscuits and melted butter together in a bowl. Press the mixture into the base and sides of a 23cm/9in springfrom tin. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
  3. For the filling, melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water).

Technique: Melting chocolate p008s5hs_640_360.jpgWatch technique1:07 mins
  4. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl for 5-6 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Fold in the cream and melted chocolate mixture. Pour into the chilled springform tin and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until just set. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
  5. Meanwhile, for the fudge sauce, heat all of the fudge sauce ingredients in a saucepan, stirring regularly, over a medium heat until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
  6. spread the sauce over the cooled pie and chill in the fridge for 20mins. Serve with double cream.

hi cate. is this the mississippi mud cake recipe?

sounds sooooo delish! but deadly! xo

I haven't posted here in, like, a bazillion years. Why not begin again in this thread, which I started?

But first?

Anyone made this? Can it be made without the milk and maybe less sour cream? I find my taste for creamy leaving and my taste for bittersweet growing (even with ice cream... I prefer a fruity ice cream or an Italian Ice to a classic ice cream these days).

Also, I'd love to make a completely non-dairy version of this for those I know who are Jewish (for after a meat meal).

Nathan...I haven't made these Chocolate Guiness Cupcakes, but if I were to experiment with this receipe, I would try substituting vanilla almond milk for the regular milk and substitute the sour cream with applesauce.

Edited by ledzepfvr

hi cate. is this the mississippi mud cake recipe?

sounds sooooo delish! but deadly! xo

Hi 'slave',

yes this is "MISSISSIPPI MUD PIE", it contains about a million calories a slice :lol:.

Enjoy with caution......;)

• 3 weeks later...