• John Edwards
    • Mike Huckabee
    • John McCain
    • Barack Obama
    • Ron Paul
    • Mitt Romney
    • Bill Richardson
    • Fred Thompson

Barack Obama is of African-American descent (as his father is African and his mother is American), and he's bi-racial. And he doesn't have a Muslim last name, he has an African name. His father was from Kenya and Kenya is not a Muslim country. Only 10% of the population are practicing Muslims. The main religions are Protestantism and Catholicism. The only Muslim name or name you could connect to Islam is his middle name.

Colored is a word that belongs in a specific time and a specific place and that time was about 50 years ago. If someone doesn't know his exact racial make-up, they wouldn't say he's colored. They'd say he's black or African-American. I doubt he cares which one someone uses to describe him.

Hi all,

NAACP?

NAACP

Hello?McFly??? :blink:

KB

The NAACP was founded back in 1909 when that word was accepted usage. The word is considered arcahic and derogatory, except in narrow circumstances and the NAACP is one of them.

That doesn't mean you walk up to a black man and say "hey there colored dude."

Edited by Electrophile

Barack Obama is of African-American descent (as his father is African and his mother is American), and he's bi-racial. And he doesn't have a Muslim last name, he has an African name. His father was from Kenya and Kenya is not a Muslim country. Only 10% of the population are practicing Muslims. The main religions are Protestantism and Catholicism. The only Muslim name or name you could connect to Islam is his middle name.

Colored is a word that belongs in a specific time and a specific place and that time was about 50 years ago. If someone doesn't know his exact racial make-up, they wouldn't say he's colored. They'd say he's black or African-American. I doubt he cares which one someone uses to describe him.

Wrong. Obama's father is Muslim, as was Barak, and Obama is indeed a Muslim name as well as Barak.

If you read my earlier explanation you would see the "colored" was the most appropriate word. If you don't get it, then that shows your inability to understand my text, and it's your loss.

And to add something else. My use of the word "colored" was influenced by my discussions with two black friends who used the word themselves to describe Obama and how he would possibly be perceived by other world leader's. And of course, these are well educated and not southern or anything. So, if you want to attack the word or the use of the word, go ahead. But once again, I will stand by my posts as being accurate.

Wrong. Obama's father is Muslim, as was Barak, and Obama is indeed a Muslim name as well as Barak.

If you read my earlier explanation you would see the "colored" was the most appropriate word. If you don't get it, then that shows your inability to understand my text, and it's your loss.

Actually, Barack said his father was an agnostic. Barack was never raised as a Muslim nor was he ever a practicing Muslim. He's a practicing Christian, like his mother. The name Barack is actually Swahili. It's derived from an Arabic word for "blessing", but it's also derived from a Hebrew word that means the same thing. The word "Obama" as far as I can find, is not Arabic.

And he's bi-racial. That's what you call someone who has parents that are not the same race.

Well, thanks I guess. I'd be curious to know what the "bovine excretia" is. Is it all the "America! America!" stuff? I don't think America is so great by the way. I'm not blind America supporter or anything.

Not anymore you're not a blind America supporter.

Which is one reason why I claimed awhile back (on the old board)

that the disillusionment that comes from going to war is a good thing.

Although I must say, its not such a good thing when one set of extremist

illusions is merely replaced with a different set of extremist illusions.

...as unfortunately seems to be the case with you, DRUNK.

GWB.. a genius? ..who fooled everyone? puh-lease. :rolleyes:

so you're no longer a blind supporter of America, you're a blind supporter of GWB, eh?

ohhh-kayyy. :rolleyes:

otherwise nice, thoughtful post about..uhh.."African American" fella, DRUNK. ;)

^_^

and DRUNK,.. thank you for your service to the country. yesnod.gif

you believed in the cause and you stepped up and enlisted.. and served.

I respect you for that.

cheers. :beer:

:hippy:

No matter how unPC...the term 'colored' IS still used. We seem to agree for the most part that it's not a great term to use....but it IS used.

In THAT...there's no dispute, at least to what I've heard here in Nashville and surrounds.

My use of the word was absolutely not "unPC". I am not southern, and have never used the word until now. It's a new incarnation of the word with a different meaning.

So, if all of you wish to ignore my use of the word in favor of an ignorant and racist use of the word, then go ahead, but you yourselves are being ignorant.

And this isn't being really directed at you joelman, but the electricphile person.

Well, just to throw a wrench into it all....

While it is true that most folks I know don't use the word 'colored' in the way that DRUNK did... I do hear people refer to folks, or themselves, as being 'people of color'.

So, it would be okay to describe Obama as 'bi-racial' or as a 'person of color', but it's not okay to refer to him as a 'colored person'.

Man, I love the English language. :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~

... okay Joel, I get it now. Thanks.

Edited by Lake of Shadows

"Colored is a North American euphemism once widely regarded as a polite description of black people (i.e., persons of sub-Saharan African ancestry; members of the "Black race"). It should not be confused with the more recent term "people of color", which attempts to describe all "non-white peoples", not just blacks. The term colored in particular (along with Negro) has fallen out of popular usage in the United States over the last third of the 20th century, and is now archaic and potentially derogatory, except in certain narrow circumstances such as the name of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)."

Edited by Mattmc1973

Actually, Barack said his father was an agnostic. Barack was never raised as a Muslim nor was he ever a practicing Muslim. He's a practicing Christian, like his mother. The name Barack is actually Swahili. It's derived from an Arabic word for "blessing", but it's also derived from a Hebrew word that means the same thing. The word "Obama" as far as I can find, is not Arabic.

And he's bi-racial. That's what you call someone who has parents that are not the same race.

Well, according to what I have read, Obama's father was indeed Muslim, and so was Barak, who later converted to Christianity. Obama and Barak are Muslim names regardless of him and his father's religious status. I have seen both names before, and of course, they were of Muslim people. So, if Muslims are working with Obama, and he has a similiar name to them, whether the names are really Muslim or not, having those names in those circumstances is an asset.

Hi all,

So far they are playing deaf about it. Prolly to much at stake with Fox.

Try the HuffingtonPost.com....they have a link.

And dear Hermit posted the correct quote.

It is an outrage.

Imus! Yeah I was having an elderly moment this morning. He IS back on the air.

Got it.I read it,it was from his radio show:

"While talking to a radio caller, I said there should be no lynching in the case, that comment off Clarence Thomas saying he was the victim of a high tech lynching (he said that on 60 Minutes, you may remember). I'm sorry if my statement offended anybody. That, of course, was not the intention. Context is everything."

Well, what shall we do? Believe everything people say?Sure.

Its all the truth and nothing but the truth,so help me God.He said he was sorry.Read the Huffington(not hers) on Nancy Regans fall,it was so sweet,... :unsure:

Peoples outrage are directed at individuals,not solutions,....

Ho-hum,...

KB

Not anymore you're not a blind America supporter.

Which is one reason why I claimed awhile back (on the old board)

that the disillusionment that comes from going to war is a good thing.

Although I must say, its not such a good thing when one set of extremist

illusions is merely replaced with a different set of extremist illusions.

...as unfortunately seems to be the case with you, DRUNK.

GWB.. a genius? ..who fooled everyone? puh-lease. :rolleyes:

so you're no longer a blind supporter of America, you're a blind supporter of GWB, eh?

ohhh-kayyy. :rolleyes:

otherwise nice, thoughtful post about..uhh.."African American" fella, DRUNK. ;)

^_^

and DRUNK,.. thank you for your service to the country. yesnod.gif

you believed in the cause and you stepped up and enlisted.. and served.

I respect you for that.

cheers. :beer:

:hippy:

well, thanks for some of that Hermit.

Of course, time will tell for the GWB stuff, and for now we will have to agree to disagree.

My use of the word was absolutely not "unPC". I am not southern, and have never used the word until now. It's a new incarnation of the word with a different meaning.

So, if all of you wish to ignore my use of the word in favor of an ignorant and racist use of the word, then go ahead, but you yourselves are being ignorant.

And this isn't being really directed at you joelman, but the electricphile person.

I understand....and I'm not very PC...so don't think I am. :P

I shoot from the hip for the most part....albeit a bit tempered at times. My grandmothers generation used to say colored ALL the time..along with nigra....I don't know how that made the N word sound better...but it did to her generation....she was born in 1893.

Hi all,

The NAACP was founded back in 1909 when that word was accepted usage. The word is considered arcahic and derogatory, except in narrow circumstances and the NAACP is one of them.

That doesn't mean you walk up to a black man and say "hey there colored dude."

Did I say that? I pointed to this because -no one- uses the *C* word.Right?

Again,your saying that is how I/you walk up to a black man? :rolleyes:

And what the heck you mean by narrow(like narrow minded?) circumstances? :mellow:

KB

Well, just to throw a wrench into it all....

While it is true that most folks I know don't use the word 'colored' in the way that DRUNK did... I do hear people refer to folks, or themselves, as being 'people of color'.

So, it would be okay to describe Obama as 'bi-racial' or as a 'person of color', but it's not okay to refer to him as a 'colored person'.

Man, I love the English language. :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~

... okay Joel, I get it now. Thanks.

Ok, well i think we are getting entirely too specific here, as in my mind, "colored" and "person of color" are interchangeable.

In this situation, the previous use of the word "colored", which I consider a completely differant word with a completely different meaning, is being disregarded.

If you people can't understand that, then once again, you are being ignorant and/or unnecessarily difficult. That's pretty funny because I actually created a post mostly praising Obama, and claiming him as my general choice for the presidency.

well, thanks for some of that Hermit.

Of course, time will tell for the GWB stuff, and for now we will have to agree to disagree.

Yeah,.. we can certainly agree to disagree.. and goodness

knows we do disagree about alot of things, you and me. :D

Even though I don't agree with most of your political points of view, I do respect the fact

that you had the courage and conviction to step up and serve for a cause you believed in.

Just cause or not (that's one of those thing we agree to disagree on), you believed deeply in it and you stepped forward and volunteered to place yourself in harm's way because you sincerely thought it would help make America safe. For that you can always be proud, friend. And for that (if for little/nothing else) you do have my respect.. and gratitude. :hippy:

And fwiw,.. you also have my sympathy. I'm sure going to Iraq must

have been quite traumatic. I sincerely hope you're doing ok, brother.

Vote Obama! :cheer:

There,.. I "colored" him blue for ya. ^_^

Edited by Hermit

Ok, well i think we are getting entirely too specific here, as in my mind, "colored" and "person of color" are interchangeable.

In this situation, the previous use of the word "colored", which I consider a completely differant word with a completely different meaning, is being disregarded.

If you people can't understand that, then once again, you are being ignorant and/or unnecessarily difficult. That's pretty funny because I actually created a post mostly praising Obama, and claiming him as my general choice for the presidency.

I thought/hoped that might be the case.

However, just because the two are interchangeable in YOUR mind, but not in anybody elses, then perhaps YOU will consider rephrasing it next time... not to be PC or whatever, but to be understood. If 'water' and cigarette lighter' are interchangeable in your mind but no one else's, don't be surprised if everytime you want to bum a light you get doused with water.

Hi all,

Here's the can:

Great Black Americans

KB

My argument isn't there are hundreds, if not thousands of black Americans who have contributed greatly to the world and our society-not to mention the millions of good working people who live for a righteous future every day. My feelings are why have one at all? Morgan Freeman made the best points about this and I completely agreed. Black History is American History. If so, it should be taught in history classes alongside units that normally leave it out for specific black cultural learning. And I guess another reason I don't think there should be one is because it more or less glorifys their being. Here me out. I'm looking at this as from the side of a person with deep Native American heritage in their blood. My take? Where is Native American Month? We never even considered enslaving those poor bastards. We just shot them dead on the spot. They were regarded as less than slaves, if thats possible to conceive. My point is, Black History is American History and having a month carved out for them is kinda silly, albeit a spit in the face to the forgetten people of this great land who have nearly been run extinct because of our past. No Month. Not even a fucking day on the calendar to honor them.

Edited by bigstickbonzo