Daily Mirror RP interview

croquet'n'cocaine

Just stumbled on this Robert Plant interview which appears to be new? It's dated today anyway, and I haven't read it before. Apologies if it's old news.

Anyway, it strikes me as a wonderfully positive piece, both about Alison Krauss and possible future Zep.

Once Robert and Alison’s world tour concludes later in the year, the clamour for Zeppelin to play more gigs will again be unrelenting. Plant certainly won’t dismiss the possibility, but he is adamant they’d have to maintain the phenomenal energy of their O2 show.

“I think it’s a conundrum,” he muses. “How do you do it again? Not will you, but how? That’s more the issue. Because it would be dreadful to reduce it to just going round and round, because then we wouldn’t be what we were. I don’t think the natural progression is to go and do it lots of times.”

The excitement at O2 was certainly unlike that at any rock show in some time.

“Before we went forward onto the stage, there were just the four of us in the half-light,” recalls Robert. “And, of course, nobody was big enough to deal with the moment. What could you say? Words didn’t mean a thing, so we just stood there. You could feel the place going “Whaaaagh!’.”

But, when it was all over, Robert could sit back safe in the knowledge that Zeppelin were still a world-beating band.

“The Gallaghers came by the dressing room and leaned on the door,” laughs Plant. “And Liam said, “You’re the f****** business you are, aren’t you? You’re the one’. And I said, “Of course I am, I always knew that. It’s just that you never switched on. You need the next door - down there on the left’.”

“How do you do it again? Not will you, but how? That’s more the issue."

That strikes me as very positive.

Just stumbled on this Robert Plant interview which appears to be new? It's dated today anyway, and I haven't read it before. Apologies if it's old news.

Anyway, it strikes me as a wonderfully positive piece, both about Alison Krauss and possible future Zep.

“How do you do it again? Not will you, but how? That’s more the issue."

That strikes me as very positive.

hate to be the pessimist, but i get the opposite feeling...he makes it sound like it would be impossible to replicate the O2 concert, so anything else would be sub-par... :(

hate to be the pessimist, but i get the opposite feeling...he makes it sound like it would be impossible to replicate the O2 concert, so anything else would be sub-par... :(

I think he's concerned about sustaining that O2 energy, show after show, which is a good point.

Any place they play will have plenty of energy for them to feed on. I know personally I will be distributing more than an electrical storm. I understand Roberts point, and that is why I think there will be NEW music to back any dates played. The fact that they haven't played together as a unit in so very long, would lead me to believe, that as they tightened and gelled as a group again, and to see constant progress, would be very inspiring.

I like the way Robert is thinking. Zep is to good to go through the motions, which they came fairly close to doing in 77-80. The O2 show was greatly freshened by the inclusion of an unplayed song.

I see an opening here. After the country tour, I expect Robert will have a desire to rock somewhat harder. What are the best songs Zep has never played live? They should play those. They should write some new ones. And the covers... lots of covers.. Robert loves covers. Jimmy loves covers. My 2 favs are "Slow Down (matchbox)" from Burn like a Candle 1972 and "It'll be me" circa 1977. How about some of that?

I hope comments from the Krauss Plant audience are respectful and appreciative. I hope Page is exercising his fingers. If there are positive Zeppelin events happening behind the scenes I think Robert the business man would be unlikely to discuss them with the press while he is touring behind a current album with a different band.

I don't know how what he's saying jives with the rumor that Robert will instantly jump back in with Strange Sensation after the tour ends. You'd think he might make mention of this when questioned about the future.

“The Gallaghers came by the dressing room and leaned on the door,” laughs Plant. “And Liam said, “You’re the f****** business you are, aren’t you? You’re the one’. And I said, “Of course I am, I always knew that. It’s just that you never switched on. You need the next door - down there on the left’.”

:D

Robert has definately got a good sense of humour sometimes

Great interview im glad atleast hes talking about it and i understand where hes comming from, Back then they were groundbrakeing sound and song and it doesnt want to lose that and in reflection ruin zeppelin, I dont think that would happen though there is way to much love for the music already to turn new people on and to give a chance to the people who are dyeing to see em. But i think he wants to go on new songs aswell, i dont think any fan would doupt musicianship and it would also alow us to carry on from 1980 and land here where they can do so much right needed in the world right now.

[“How do you do it again? Not will you, but how? That’s more the issue."

That strikes me as very positive.]

Well, I guess that depends on how many shows and whether those of us in BFE America would ever get a chance to go.

I don't want to cry......I want to hear Jimmy Page LIVE!!!!!!! :o

I don't know how what he's saying jives with the rumor that Robert will instantly jump back in with Strange Sensation after the tour ends. You'd think he might make mention of this when questioned about the future.

I think that Robert is just enjoying today. I don't see him as the type that worries about who/what/when a year from now.

Plant is obviously enjoying himself these day's and why not? He is a very successful solo artist and quite content. I really don't see him agreeing to a 4 trillion city Zeppelin tour...ever. I do, however, see a couple of more "tribute" or "cause" shows with the boy's down the road....if he deems it worthy.

Here's what I think. I think that from the way that Robert has been speaking in his last interviews, there is a good chance of a future Led Zep tour set up going on behind the scenes. I could be wrong but I don't think so. Plant usually rules stuff that will never happen completely out. Page also said that September is when the band members can look at their schedules again and WHOA! looky here- that's exactly when Plant/Krauss tour ends! Isn't that a conincidence? No. Actually it's not. We do have a Zeppelin tour coming guys, I know it. It's really only because Robert has been commited to Alison for the last several months. There is no way possible that he could just drop his commitments. It's coming...

Page also said that September is when the band members can look at their schedules again and WHOA! looky here- that's exactly when Plant/Krauss tour ends! Isn't that a conincidence? No. Actually it's not. We do have a Zeppelin tour coming guys, I know it. It's really only because Robert has been commited to Alison for the last several months. There is no way possible that he could just drop his commitments. It's coming...

You are confusing coincidence with causality here - the reason Page mentioned September specifically is because that is when Plant's tour is over. What Page actually said was - if anything is to happen, it couldn't possibly happen until Plant's other commitments are finished. He never said "we are working towards a September band meeting to discuss a tour". All he said was if something is to happen, it won't be until then.

You are confusing coincidence with causality here - the reason Page mentioned September specifically is because that is when Plant's tour is over. What Page actually said was - if anything is to happen, it couldn't possibly happen until Plant's other commitments are finished. He never said "we are working towards a September band meeting to discuss a tour". All he said was if something is to happen, it won't be until then.

Exactly. Meanwhile, it would be nice to see JP hook up with JPJ and do something...ANYTHING! Start a skiffle band for all i care. Do a small "sessions" tour where they play the songs from their session day's in the mid 60's.

Tick, tick, tick....

I think the "how" is the key. I think it means he just doesn't want to go on a big reunion tour . There has to be a reason to go on tour A.k.a a new album/material, and since they haven't been "back together" all that long, especially with Plant's other commitments, He's not sure if they have the ability to come out with a new album.

I bet when the Krause Project is over, he will get together with the other guys, Page in particular, and see what comes of it. If it is productive then it will move forward. If it is not then it won't, and any future Zeppelin activity would then involve a singular 'Good Reason' for a singular performance for a good cause.

I think that is why there is all this lack of commitment but yet no denial. It all revolves around what happens when they get back together, and if they are able to move forward musically when they do.

Basically I think the O2 created a starting point for them. It cleared the air between them and created a new slate. It answered and took care of the Bonham issue.

Now the only question is can it be taken any further, And I think Plant would really like to find out.

I think the "how" is the key. I think it means he just doesn't want to go on a big reunion tour . There has to be a reason to go on tour A.k.a a new album/material, and since they haven't been "back together" all that long, especially with Plant's other commitments, He's not sure if they have the ability to come out with a new album.

I bet when the Krause Project is over, he will get together with the other guys, Page in particular, and see what comes of it. If it is productive then it will move forward. If it is not then it won't, and any future Zeppelin activity would then involve a singular 'Good Reason' for a singular performance for a good cause.

I think that is why there is all this lack of commitment but yet no denial. It all revolves around what happens when they get back together, and if they are able to move forward musically when they do.

Basically I think the O2 created a starting point for them. It cleared the air between them and created a new slate. It answered and took care of the Bonham issue.

Now the only question is can it be taken any further, And I think Plant would really like to find out.

I ditto this; I think you put it quite perfectly!

Archived