ROCK OFF!

If all of the greatest guitarist could have a bracket like tournament who would be the last two guitarist facing off and who would win. When I mean rock off I mean like at the end of the movie Crossroads, but if you havent seen it, a rock off is like a free jam where two guitarist imatate and add to free-form jams until one plays something so awesome the other cant handle it. If there is enough interest I could gather names of guitarist and actually make a bracket and every couple of days post a new match and the winner would move on until a champ is crowned. But for now my picks are Stevie Ray Vaughan VS Jimmy Page. I pick them because they know the blues and I think blues has the most depth for a rock off. As for a winner I would pick SRV, NO OFFESE TO JIMMY PAGE YOU ARE MY FAVORITE GUITAR PLAYER OF ALL TIME but SRV is just an amazing blues player, but Jimmy could also play such a fast riff (Example the intro to Since Ive Been Loving You on TSRTS) i think Jimmy could also beat SRV. Its so hard to decide but I would definantly want to be there to watch!!!

You might have to wait awhile since SRV is sadly no longer with us.

Honestly, I really hate these who's better type of posts (no offense). Because it is all subjective, especially when you compare people from different eras. One may be more technical and quicker, but the other may just bend that note just the right way for you.

So it's a matter of preference.

They're both great. But in my mind it boils down to this:

Jimmy can play everything, SRV can play Jimi.

Stevie could play way more than just Jimi. His jazz stuff, the slide stuff he does. Clapton said it best about Stevie, in the film Before The Music Dies: "There became a point where Stevie Ray stopped being Albert King and started being Stevie Ray."

hate him or love him, Steve Vai would kill anyone in a guitar-off.

Of all these "rock gods" no one matches Vai's versatility, musical knowledge and technical prowess. In a Crossroads-esque duel, a player like Vai just cannot be beat (and no, karate kid doesn't count). I love guys like Clapton, Page, Hendrix, SRV, but in a guitar duel, they would be embarrassed badly by many of today's guitar virtuosos. The iconic guitarists of classic rock are placed on a pedastal that far overrates their ability to actually play guitar.

Of all these "rock gods" no one matches Vai's versatility, musical knowledge and technical prowess. In a Crossroads-esque duel, a player like Vai just cannot be beat (and no, karate kid doesn't count). I love guys like Clapton, Page, Hendrix, SRV, but in a guitar duel, they would be embarrassed badly by many of today's guitar virtuosos. The iconic guitarists of classic rock are placed on a pedastal that far overrates their ability to actually play guitar.

LMFAO :wtf:

RU Sirius?

How many walk around with Steve Vai songs in their head?

Nothing against the guy either. :unsure:

Read the topic. Who would win in a "rock off", not who is the best guitarist ever (in which players like Hendrix, Page, etc. hardly qualify anyway)

LMFAO :wtf:

RU Sirius?

How many walk around with Steve Vai songs in their head?

Nothing against the guy either. :unsure:

I fail to see why this is relevant. If I'm understanding the original poster's topic correctly (a Crossroads esque guitar duel), if any of you honestly believe players like Hendrix or Page would beat a guitar player like Steve Vai in a guitar duel, you are either delusional or know nothing of guitar playing.

Guys like Page, Clapton, Hendrix etc. are put on these pedastals for being pioneers (which is rightfully so) that completely undermine the fact that they are hardly spectacular guitar players.

Clean technique is not everything. For example, I know Yngwie Malmsteen could play cirlcles around me, but IMO, he has the soul of a frozen iceberg in Pluto. No warmth---execution without enough feeling.

Read the topic. Who would win in a "rock off", not who is the best guitarist ever (in which players like Hendrix, Page, etc. hardly qualify anyway)

I fail to see why this is relevant. If I'm understanding the original poster's topic correctly (a Crossroads esque guitar duel), if any of you honestly believe players like Hendrix or Page would beat a guitar player like Steve Vai in a guitar duel, you are either delusional or know nothing of guitar playing.

Guys like Page, Clapton, Hendrix etc. are put on these pedastals for being pioneers (which is rightfully so) that completely undermine the fact that they are hardly spectacular guitar players.

It doesn't take a guitar player to figure this one out. Music, in general, comes from the heart and soul of the person performing it. Obviously, you are impressed by how many notes one can fit into a measure over what the notes in the measure do for you. Simple as that. Like I said nothing against Vai. He's a great player, but the reason he's not as big a star is because most people are bored with his playing. To me, that would hold up in a duel as well.

Clean technique is not everything. For example, I know Yngwie Malmsteen could play cirlcles around me, but IMO, he has the soul of a frozen iceberg in Pluto. No warmth---execution without enough feeling.

You should notice that Malmsteen (along with other "shredders") are not mentioned. Its not just about clean technique, its about overall ability, Vai is a master of guitar in every sense, in terms of musical knowledge, techincal ability, and versatility.

It doesn't take a guitar player to figure this one out. Music, in general, comes from the heart and soul of the person performing it. Obviously, you are impressed by how many notes one can fit into a measure over what the notes in the measure do for you. Simple as that. Like I said nothing against Vai. He's a great player, but the reason he's not as big a star is because most people are bored with his playing. To me, that would hold up in a duel as well.

Wrong. I am not impressed by how many notes one can fit into a measure, I am impressed by Vai's versatility, originiality and his ability to adapt to any style while keeping his unique sound/

Steve Vai is not an emotionless robot of a guitar player. Why do people not like his music? Because instrumental guitar rock doesn't appeal the mass audience. Same reason why great players like Eric Johnson are not big. Instrumental rock is just a boring genre. But again, this isn't Malmsteen in a guitar duel who would sit there and sweep pick arpeggios from Paginini pieces over and over again. Vai's playing actually has character.

For me feeling beats technicality 100 times over.

I'd rather listen to someone who can channel all their emotion through their guitar, and can make their guitar say much more than words can say.

Steve Vai is quite the passionate player. In fact, listen to some of his songs, his phrasing, if there is a single player who's guitar speaks for them, its Steve Vai. People need to stop associating him with guys like Malmsteen.

Joe Satriani, who I mentioned as one of my favorite players, helped teach Steve Vai how to play guitar.

Frank Zappa had some good things to say about Steve Vai. He said, "you couldn't ask for a better guy to have in your band."

It is definitely not about technique. Guys like Clapton had repeatedly said that if you jam with B.B. King, his first note will kick your whole solo's ass. And I heard at one point John Mayer was jamming with Buddy Guy, and Buddy played so freakin' great that John put down his guitar at Buddy's feet and walked off the stage.

It is definitely not about technique. Guys like Clapton had repeatedly said that if you jam with B.B. King, his first note will kick your whole solo's ass. And I heard at one point John Mayer was jamming with Buddy Guy, and Buddy played so freakin' great that John put down his guitar at Buddy's feet and walked off the stage.

Totally agree. I have thought that about B.B. King for many years. One note from some people can tear your heart out. while massive technical prowess and versatility can amaze, without the guts it's not goin' anywhere. No offense to any particular guitar player- I've only jeard a little Steve Vai, and it was a long time ago. I'm not a guitar player either; I play brass and percussion. But it's the same on any instrument, or in any group.

As far as SRV, I believe he played on Bowie's "Let's Dance" album. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that shows some versatility right there. Sorry if this seems off topic. I personally can't relate to the concept of a guitar-off. Some things aren't a competition. At least to females ;)

Wrong. I am not impressed by how many notes one can fit into a measure, I am impressed by Vai's versatility, originiality and his ability to adapt to any style while keeping his unique sound/

Steve Vai is not an emotionless robot of a guitar player. Why do people not like his music? Because instrumental guitar rock doesn't appeal the mass audience. Same reason why great players like Eric Johnson are not big. Instrumental rock is just a boring genre. But again, this isn't Malmsteen in a guitar duel who would sit there and sweep pick arpeggios from Paginini pieces over and over again. Vai's playing actually has character.

Well, it's easy to see i'm not going to convince you of anything, not that i'm trying to anyway.

All I can say is I think you missed my point. To sum it up, for me, the first five notes Page plays on Since I've Been Loving You says everything I need to know about the subject.

I like Steve and listen to his music. I've seen him live and he was VERY entertaining, he kept the audience very awake and excited. I'd vote for him :D

thank you, guys like vai get a bad rep because they're techincally brilliant. people seem to that if you play fast, your music has no feeling (which is true for some, but certainly not all). yet when guys like page play fast and miss a bunch of notes, its full of emotion and whatnot. (zeppelin is my favorite band of all time, but i still believe the players of the '60s and '70s are placed on pedestals as guitar players that they do not deserve) vai is the textbook example of a guy whose guitar is almost like an extension of himself. and i'm not even a fan of his music, i'm just a guitar player who is amazed at his ability.

and besides, vai is not even a shredder, and the fact that his music is more than technical masturbation is exactly what sets him apart from guys like malmsteen, michael angelo, etc.

You should notice that Malmsteen (along with other "shredders") are not mentioned. Its not just about clean technique, its about overall ability, Vai is a master of guitar in every sense, in terms of musical knowledge, techincal ability, and versatility.
So is Buckethead. I love Vai and Buckethead, but they aren't simply the best because they're fast and have warmth or passion or versatility. I prefer everything Page played to anything Vai ever played. Simple as that

By the by, there can be no definitive "Best Guitar Player" simply by definitiont. Best = what one thinks. Everyone thinks differently. Thus, Best cannot be acheived through technical means alone

The word "best" is a superlative, and is used to describe something of "the highest quality". Whether guitar players of differing genres should be directly compared is, at best, a dubious exercise. Only when like for like are considered does the subject become remotely valid: who is good, better or best. Comparing Vai and Page is like comparing chalk and cheese- pointless. I enjoy and appreciate a broad cross-section of styles and players, and long ago abandoned futile exercises in deciding who should be considered top-dog.

RB

So is Buckethead. I love Vai and Buckethead, but they aren't simply the best because they're fast and have warmth or passion or versatility. I prefer everything Page played to anything Vai ever played. Simple as that

By the by, there can be no definitive "Best Guitar Player" simply by definitiont. Best = what one thinks. Everyone thinks differently. Thus, Best cannot be acheived through technical means alone

Well of course not, "best" is subjective. I prefer Page to Vai as well, but I simply don't believe that Page (or Hendrix or Clapton or etc. for that matter) would win in a guitar duel. That is all I'm saying.

Well of course not, "best" is subjective. I prefer Page to Vai as well, but I simply don't believe that Page (or Hendrix or Clapton or etc. for that matter) would win in a guitar duel. That is all I'm saying.

So you're arguing he's technically better than the stars of old yes? He's more virtuostic. I agree.

But to say that makes him the "best", which is what you were doing by the looks of it (unless I read it wrong or something), seems a bit excessive.

Archived