Jimmy Page: Wanking Dog?

I'm sure that most of you are as perplexed and mystified by this strange reference of Robert Plant's as I am.

It occurs during the L'Olympia, Paris, France, October 10th show that was recently re-broadcast by a French radio station. Introducing White Summer/Black Mountainside, Robert makes this plantation:

"Thank you very much. Thank you. That was ah, a thing called Dazed and Confused. Right now we'd like to feature the wanking dog. Jimmy Page on guitar. Jimmy Page. This is ah, a combination of several things. It goes under the collective title, as Percy Thrower would say, of White Summer. Jimmy Page."

I suspect it was the original working title for "Black Dog" but Atlantic Records thought it too provocative, so the less controversial "Black" was substituted.

Thoughts?

I'm sure that most of you are as perplexed and mystified by this strange reference of Robert Plant's as I am.

It occurs during the L'Olympia, Paris, France, October 10th show that was recently re-broadcast by a French radio station. Introducing White Summer/Black Mountainside, Robert makes this plantation:

"Thank you very much. Thank you. That was ah, a thing called Dazed and Confused. Right now we'd like to feature the wanking dog. Jimmy Page on guitar. Jimmy Page. This is ah, a combination of several things. It goes under the collective title, as Percy Thrower would say, of White Summer. Jimmy Page."

I suspect it was the original working title for "Black Dog" but Atlantic Records thought it too provocative, so the less controversial "Black" was substituted.

Thoughts?

I'm kinda taking it as a reference to JIMMY! We know Robert liked to poke a bit of fun at him....I think he's alluding to Jimmy's um, private activities.... :rolleyes: Certainly could be wrong, that's just the way I take it.....

I'm kinda taking it as a reference to JIMMY! We know Robert liked to poke a bit of fun at him....I think he's alluding to Jimmy's um, private activities.... :rolleyes: Certainly could be wrong, that's just the way I take it.....

Or an observation on Pamela Des Barres.

That's not the way I took it...

Being English, I think Robert probably used the term, like when the British (and Australians) call someone a wanker, they don't mean it literally as 'masturbation' they mean someone is a prick or a asshole, a bastard, a loser...or if someone is carrying on about something or showing off or whatever you might say "Oh he's always having a wank over it"

So I would imagine Robert means, in saying the Wanking Dog, that this is Jimmy's show-off piece, as if he's saying "yeah, this is Jimmy's wank-off bit, where he shows off to everybody how good he is"

It's a reference to Jimmy yes, but I don't think it's his private activities.

I reckon it's what Bonzo thinks Jimmy looks like (from his viewpoint...behind him) when Jimmy is sat on the chair, crouched over. right arm frantically in motion during White Summer!!! ???

I reckon it's what Bonzo thinks Jimmy looks like (from his viewpoint...behind him) when Jimmy is sat on the chair, crouched over. right arm frantically in motion during White Summer!!! ???

:hysterical:

:lol: I like this theory, whether it's right or wrong.

...they mean someone is a prick or a asshole, a bastard, a loser...or if someone is carrying on about something or showing off ..."yeah, this is Jimmy's wank-off bit, where he shows off to everybody how good he is"

Sounds logical to me, and I'm not English, but I do call people on tv (especially politicians) "wankers" all the time. Thank you BBC.

ps- I was expecting to see a picture of Jimmy literally "helping" his pet dog before a trip to the vet! Lost in translation.

:rolleyes:

Quite the thread title; couldn't pass it up :lol: It's fun to think about the b.s. that might have been going back and forth between them onstage. What I wouldn't give to have been there (and been invisible) and heard some of that stuff. Cracks me up.

The word "wanker" makes me laugh every time I hear it.

Archived