Does anyone still buy CDs

Dancin'Days

Probably have over a thousand. Haven't taken inventory lately. I don't download. I'd rather have the whole statement and the artwork than a single. I learned that from a band called Led Zeppelin. If I don't hear the mandolins of Battle of Evermore fading in after Rock and Roll, something just ain't right.

You're all welcome to your own feelings about that. But that's me, warts and all. Albums baby! Long-players with art you can actually see. Hold in your hands. There are five senses. And downloads simply have no taste, touch or smell, much less something to gaze upon whilst listening. Otherwise one might as well have sex with a dildo. What happened to gazing into someone's eyes? Scent? 3 minutes of some band's album, or the whole journey?

I'll take the journey.

Same here. :)

I don't buy anything on cd unless I have to. I much prefer vinyl. I think it sounds better, and I like to have the artwork. I love spending hours reading liner notes, studying the cover, etc. Unfortunatly, none of my friends understand this. So if I get a new album, I don't have anyone to share the excitment with. I love looking at the pictures of the band, or whatever else is on the cover.

Yes I still buy Cds. There are still great musicians out there and I have no problem buying cds still, if I think it's worth buying.

Sometimes I buy a Cd on a whim; it doesn't always work out though. Whatever the case, I just feel at home inside a music store. The browsing, and picking up something I've never heard of and giving it a try. I've already seen so many music stores go out of business due to the decline of sales and people turning to the internet. It makes me sad to think that music stores won't be around in the future. Sitting in front of a computer all day and buying pieces of an album cannot replace the atmosphere of a music store and buying complete albums. I like having a music collection....not a collection of sad-looking burned cds.

What's interesting is that although Cd sales aren't doing so well, vinyl seems to be making a comeback. I've got a modest vinyl collection and I hope to add to it as I go. It's nice to see vinyl making a comeback. It shows there are a lot of people who don't give a shit about this obsession others have nowadays to get 'perfect' audio but would rather have something real...the way music was meant to be heard...those cracks and pops on a record...it's a beautiful thing. :)

Probably have over a thousand. Haven't taken inventory lately. I don't download. I'd rather have the whole statement and the artwork than a single. I learned that from a band called Led Zeppelin. If I don't hear the mandolins of Battle of Evermore fading in after Rock and Roll, something just ain't right.

You're all welcome to your own feelings about that. But that's me, warts and all. Albums baby! Long-players with art you can actually see. Hold in your hands. There are five senses. And downloads simply have no taste, touch or smell, much less something to gaze upon whilst listening. Otherwise one might as well have sex with a dildo. What happened to gazing into someone's eyes? Scent? 3 minutes of some band's album, or the whole journey?

I'll take the journey.

Never agreed more with any statement in my life. Record buying WAS a magical experience that is long overdue for a comeback.

I download only because i trouble finding CD's where I live, and because I do download the whole album. And yeh, I have an iPod, simply because I really like carrying my music aroun with me. It's convenient, and I can plug it in to my stereo. I don't have time to put in each CD if I only want a couple songs at the moment.

I have no idea how many CD's I have... but I treasure my vinyl and even some cassettes since I can't find alot of those anywhere anymore. :( But I admit, I haven't bought a CD in so long. That's horrible...

I've bought between 600 and 800 cd's this decade, and at least 100 of those in the last year and a half. New, old, reissued and expanded. I've also gotten into downloading bootleg flac files from direct servers, not bit torrents. That itself adds up to over 500 cd's in the last 5 years.

I truly find it sad that so many people don't buy cd's or vinyl anymore. I hope those are at least getting burned copies of albums from friends.

Yes I still buy Cds. There are still great musicians out there and I have no problem buying cds still, if I think it's worth buying.

Sometimes I buy a Cd on a whim; it doesn't always work out though. Whatever the case, I just feel at home inside a music store. The browsing, and picking up something I've never heard of and giving it a try. I've already seen so many music stores go out of business due to the decline of sales and people turning to the internet. It makes me sad to think that music stores won't be around in the future. Sitting in front of a computer all day and buying pieces of an album cannot replace the atmosphere of a music store and buying complete albums. I like having a music collection....not a collection of sad-looking burned cds.

What's interesting is that although Cd sales aren't doing so well, vinyl seems to be making a comeback. I've got a modest vinyl collection and I hope to add to it as I go. It's nice to see vinyl making a comeback. It shows there are a lot of people who don't give a shit about this obsession others have nowadays to get 'perfect' audio but would rather have something real...the way music was meant to be heard...those cracks and pops on a record...it's a beautiful thing. :)

Absolutely. I love the way my vinyl sounds, with all it's pops crackle and occasional skips. One of my copies of LZ3 skips over the word try in Gallows Pole, and it's imbedded in my brain so when I sing it off my ipod or whatever, I don't sing try.

If I had the money to buy CDs, I honestly would. I love owning things, I'm materialistic that way.

However, CDs are fucking ridiculously expensive. £12.99 or more for a new album - fuck that.

I download music completely illegally, and I don't give a piss. Most the bands I download are mega rich anyway, and they should derive more pleasure from people listening to their music than them buying it.

At least that is my excuse, and I'll maintain it is entirely valid.

I will say though, my parents buy hundreds and hundreds of CDs, and they have gazillions of old vinyl stuff as well, that they're yet to buy on CD. Crazy.

My taste in music is slowly regressing further and further back, so I just buy vinyls instead. There's a great place in Nottingham called Rob's Records, total shit hole, believe me, but why would I go out and buy a CD for £11-12 when I can get the vinyl there for £2? And it is so chocoblock with records that you can barely move. Seriously.

Aside from that I am a demo and bootleg fiend (particularly Fleetwood Mac), so the majority of my music consists of live concerts, demos and all that shit. You can't buy them, at least not anywhere I've ever been, so you just download them via torrent sites or from very nice people. I could spend years searching for a particular record to own instead of a few hours downloading it.

It's a shame 'cause I'd love to buy more CD's. It just so happens that my taste is very particular.

I'll take the journey.

:thumbsup: I don't download either. I like having the whole shoobang- artwork etc. Though the quality of cds soundwise is better, I'd still buy albums if they made em. There was just something about having the record in hand and listening to the bumps and scratches. I don't know - made it "real" if that makes sense.

• 4 years later...

Still buying them, about a half dozen a month on average, mostly back catalogue. I have far too many. The wife says I make our backroom look like a hoarders paradise.

When CD's came out I stuck to buying vinyl if they had the same amount of tracks and the cost of CD's was around £2-3 dearer ,in the earlier days sometimes the vinyl had the bonus tracks , my turn table broke and I did get another for at least 10 years . It was only when reissued remastered started adding bonus tracks to CD's much later

Still buying them, about a half dozen a month on average, mostly back catalogue. I have far too many. The wife says I make our backroom look like a hoarders paradise.

I still buy about 2-3 a month. Buying more vinyl too again, I have a few thousand cds and over 600 vinyl. Storage space is the main issue for me too.

I buy CDs occasionally, but as I mentioned in a thread I started a couple of months ago, i have a lot of problems with them. However, many CDs you buy from Amazon are now automatically ripped to your Amazon Cloud, so you can play the songs from the Cloud if you can plug your computer into your speakers. You can also download from the Cloud to iTunes. I would like to still own vinyl, but I live in a Manhattan apartment not a house, I'm not rich, and there is no room here for a turntable much less a vinyl collection. Maybe one day I will rearrange stuff to make space for a turntable, because there is stuff available only on vinyl...

I listen to Pandora a lot, and they play demos and other things that I haven't heard before. You have to put some time into creating your "stations" so that they play the tunes you'll want to hear. Then there's usually a link to buy the tune on Amazon or iTunes (although not in all cases).

I have ripped every CD I own to iCloud so I can listen at work, in the car, while out walking, etc. I keep the originals in my CD changer at home. I agree if you don't spend a lot of time with pandora you end up listening to songs you don't want to hear. iCloud fixed that for me.

I can't wait for the new boxed sets. I need something new and I won't buy bootlegs. I figure it's only fair that the band makes the money from whatever I buy.

Yeah, I do the same

I have ripped every CD I own to iCloud so I can listen at work, in the car, while out walking, etc. I keep the originals in my CD changer at home. I agree if you don't spend a lot of time with pandora you end up listening to songs you don't want to hear. iCloud fixed that for me.

I can't wait for the new boxed sets. I need something new and I won't buy bootlegs. I figure it's only fair that the band makes the money from whatever I buy.

Archived