I love vinyl Led Zeppelin

Physical Graffiti on vinyl is heaven!

So I've been digging through my vinyl record collection lately and I've been pulling out gem after gem. I pride myself for being smart enough when I was a kid that you take great care of your albums. Someday you'll be listening to them again and I've had some albums for nearly 30 years now that are still in mint condition.

I still have every single Zep album on vinyl and digital as well. I've come to the conclusion that we made a huge mistake going from analog to digital when it comes to music. HUGE mistake.

Right now I have Physical Graffiti absolutely BLASTING on my stereo and I can hear those little nuances that I've never been able to hear from a CD. And certainly not from a paltry mp3 *shudders*.

So here's the just of what I'm getting at. If you don't have a vinyl collection... by all means start one now! Find yourself a great turntable and listen to the music the way it was meant to be heard.

Right now 'Ten Years Gone' is playing. If you'll all excuse me... I have some listening to do :D

Good Sunday to all!

PLAY LED ZEPPELIN LOUD!!!

Your so right, I'm in the process of trying to get my Zeppelin Vinyl's back from my brother who has them in he's loft. Like an idiot when cd's started I gave them to him, What an idiot. Soon as I get them back I'll sort myself a turntable out. I actually bought TSRTS last week on ebay for £2.50 just in case. So bloody cheap as well :D

So I've been digging through my vinyl record collection lately and I've been pulling out gem after gem. I pride myself for being smart enough when I was a kid that you take great care of your albums. Someday you'll be listening to them again and I've had some albums for nearly 30 years now that are still in mint condition.

I still have every single Zep album on vinyl and digital as well. I've come to the conclusion that we made a huge mistake going from analog to digital when it comes to music. HUGE mistake.

Right now I have Physical Graffiti absolutely BLASTING on my stereo and I can hear those little nuances that I've never been able to hear from a CD. And certainly not from a paltry mp3 *shudders*.

So here's the just of what I'm getting at. If you don't have a vinyl collection... by all means start one now! Find yourself a great turntable and listen to the music the way it was meant to be heard.

Right now 'Ten Years Gone' is playing. If you'll all excuse me... I have some listening to do :D

Good Sunday to all!

I did the same. Still have all my vinyl from the 60's, 70's & 80's. 95% are still in great condition!

The other 5% I let friends use and they came back in less than perfect condition.

After that I never let anyone use them again and thats way they're still in great shape. B)

Vinyl rules!! :notworthy:

Good Sunday to you! :banana:

I'm from the CD era and am interested to know what the difference is.

I'll probably buy the most recent vinyl releases the website is advertising, but as for opening them and listening to them on a machine I don't own yet...what's so great about it?

I'm from the CD era and am interested to know what the difference is.

I'll probably buy the most recent vinyl releases the website is advertising, but as for opening them and listening to them on a machine I don't own yet...what's so great about it?

first of all, if you own any led zeppelin (i'm assuming you do), all of that catalogue was recorded on tape (analog). your cd's are format 'adaptations' to keep it simple, and while the digital spectrum is very long, it isn't as wide (or as warm). now i can talk until i'm blue in the face, but you need to check it out. stop by a yardsale or a used music store that sells vinyl, and find a clean (no scuffs, etc) record. have a friend that mixes and scratches for hip hop? ask him to give it a spin thru his system. or find a high-end audio store that will let you play the cd and record side by side. the sound is dense, not narrow and superficially crisp. the nuances are outside the spectrum presented by the disc-human.

proceed to bank, store, ebay, etc and invest.

good luck!

ps. then comeback and start a thread about growing up in the cd era and discovering vinyl AND the 'art of the album cover'

first of all, if you own any led zeppelin (i'm assuming you do), all of that catalogue was recorded on tape (analog). your cd's are format 'adaptations' to keep it simple, and while the digital spectrum is very long, it isn't as wide (or as warm). now i can talk until i'm blue in the face, but you need to check it out. stop by a yardsale or a used music store that sells vinyl, and find a clean (no scuffs, etc) record. have a friend that mixes and scratches for hip hop? ask him to give it a spin thru his system. or find a high-end audio store that will let you play the cd and record side by side. the sound is dense, not narrow and superficially crisp. the nuances are outside the spectrum presented by the disc-human.

proceed to bank, store, ebay, etc and invest.

good luck!

ps. then comeback and start a thread about growing up in the cd era and discovering vinyl AND the 'art of the album cover'

Yeah I actually have about half of their albums on vinyl already. I just thought they would be cool to have, but I never thought playing them would be worth it.

I'll give it a try.

Good Sunday to all!

I love listening to this album on vinyl as well. My favorite songs on this album are... ALL OF THEM! I especially love listening to "Custard Pie," "The Rover," "In My Time Of Dying," "Houses Of The Holy," "Trampled Under Foot," "Kashmir," "In The Light," "Ten Years Gone," "Night Flight," "The Wanton Song" and "Sick Again." I KNOW THAT YOU ARE ENJOYING THEM ALL! ROCK ON!

I've returned to listening to music on vinyl in the past few months. Having amassed some 600-odd LP records over the years I thought it only right to actually use them. I invested in a Funk V record deck and Moth record cleaner. The cleaner made all the difference, as it sucked out all the crud that had nestled there over time, giving some records a totally new lease of life. The modern deck reveals things I'd never heard before, even on CD! Although the initial outlay was fairly pricy, it has already paid for itself in music I no longer need to replace with a digital version. The only drawback is that I have to get up off my ass every twenty five miniutes or so to turn the record over, or stick on a different one.

Now, it only needs a valve (tube) amplifier...

RB

The thing I like the most about the old Lp's is that the album artwork is so much larger. That little CD packaging just doesn't compare to album artwork! When I was younger I could sit for hours and look at the art work on albums such as Zeppelin IV or HOTH. :D

Well, As I said before, Brother is giving me my Vinyl's back tomorrow, 6 he has, Cannot remember what they are. So rather excited. Just for now I'm gonna pop out tomorrow night and get a USB turntable so that I can play the through the Pc's 5.1 sound system. Can't wait :D

Well, As I said before, Brother is giving me my Vinyl's back tomorrow, 6 he has, Cannot remember what they are. So rather excited. Just for now I'm gonna pop out tomorrow night and get a USB turntable so that I can play the through the Pc's 5.1 sound system. Can't wait :D

gimme us a report on how that goes. i've been looking at the ion turntable and was wondering about the software, sound reproduction, blah, blah. i would also like to know how it compares to a turntable/amp system. i appreciate it!

gimme us a report on how that goes. i've been looking at the ion turntable and was wondering about the software, sound reproduction, blah, blah. i would also like to know how it compares to a turntable/amp system. i appreciate it!

Thats the one, Ion 505. I'll let you know.

I know you're all right about vinyl being better than CDs; it makes me sad that I got rid of all my LPs 20 years ago. :(

A question -- Are the CD tracks in different order than the original LPs? I could swear they are, or at least for Physical Grafitti, but since I don't have the album laying around to check...

Is the new vinyl release from a remastered digital source? If so, wouldn't that compromise the warmth of the original recording?

The new releases were overseen by Mr. Page himself and are absolutely astounding compared to the originals. All analog transfers.

Audiophile Mastering

200 gram high-quality, super-quiet CLASSIC RECORDS LP pressing on Quiex-SVP series. Pressed from the original master tapes using an all analog and tube amplified mastering process; allowing every conceivable detail and nuance from the original recording to be translated to this pressing!!!

Mastering was conducted under the supervision of Jimmy Page. These Led Zeppelin pressings have received rave reviews and are arguably the best sounding releases of the albums ever available - many reviewers rate this release even more highly than the original Swan Song vinyl release and we couldn't agree more!

I can attest to the majesty of the re-releases. I have III and IV and they are far and away the best additions to my collection. It's too bad they are all sold out now and out of print. You'll find many of them on eBay but you'll pay a hefty price.

I wish so badly that I could listen to Zep on vinyl :(. Cassettes and cds were the way we listened to music when I was younger, except for the records my parents still played sometimes (no Zeppelin, sadly :( ). I wish I could afford to buy vinyl versions of their albums now.. Are they even pressed often?

The new releases were overseen by Mr. Page himself and are absolutely astounding compared to the originals. All analog transfers.

I can attest to the majesty of the re-releases. I have III and IV and they are far and away the best additions to my collection. It's too bad they are all sold out now and out of print. You'll find many of them on eBay but you'll pay a hefty price.

Hoooooray!

Time for a Zep catalogue limited edition LP box set release me thinks. I'd buy it for the artwork alone!!!

Indi.

well, considering that there are still millions of copies around you don't need to wait for a re-re-release ... you can find a mint copy as well, so ...

there'll be a box of japanese vinyls re-issues probably during october but it'll cost a lot ...

I never got heavily involved in those other formats. Sorry to hear they don't sound so good. I sell records and record players on eBay as Hi5surplus. Let me know if I can help. Records=Happy.

Anyone know how you can date the records by the code? Is there a table of some sort somewhere?

Are you referring to the date of release? If so, it's printed on the label; for example © 1976. I have no idea of how to date a pressing by the matrix number on the run-out area.

RB

The thing I like the most about the old Lp's is that the album artwork is so much larger. That little CD packaging just doesn't compare to album artwork! When I was younger I could sit for hours and look at the art work on albums such as Zeppelin IV or HOTH. :D

I have all of their vinyl releases as well. The detail of the artwork in album covers, you can't surpass them. And albums with gatefold covers were even better as opening them served another purpose and to this day some of the evidence remains. Especially liked using Coda with the various great photos of the band over the years featured within.

The cds don't due the artwork justice due to their small size and many of the minute details are lost. Although, the Japanese Obi editions may be worth seeking out. The Led Zeppelin III version even has the spinning wheel.

Archived