Robert Plant: "The Golden Gods Are Done"

Are they lucky fans of Led Zep? Yep

Winning a ticket lottery led two guys to Led Zeppelin's reunion show in London and VIP lounge access to other rock legends.

By Tad Dickens | www.roanoke.com June 8, 2008

RobertPlantRobertNatt11Dec07.jpg

Robert Plant and Robert Natt, Primrose Hill Park, December 11, 2007

RobertPlantZachCromer11Dec07.jpg

Robert Plant and Zach Cromer, Primrose Hill Park, December 11, 2007

Rock music fans just don't get any luckier than Zach Cromer and Robert Natt.

When Led Zeppelin scheduled its reunion show at London's The O2 arena late last year, Cromer entered a ticket lottery online to win rights to purchase two tickets for the show. There were about 20 million other entries. Cromer won. He invited his old guitar-playing buddy, Natt, and the luck just kept coming.

By the time they got back to the states, they had not only seen the show, they had done it as VIP access winners, where they got to meet musicians including U2's The Edge, Chic's Nile Rogers, the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith and the Foo Fighters Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins.

The next morning, as they walked by a London park, they met Robert Plant and took photos with him. Plant, who is performing with Alison Krauss tonight at the Roanoke Civic Center, gave them the scoop on the Plant/Krauss tour -- and the future of Led Zeppelin. More on that later.

"Even as it all happened, it seemed surreal," said Cromer, 27, a lawyer in Alexandria who is originally from Salem.

Natt, 28, who owns a media production business in Roanoke, is amazed at their luck.

"The odds, you just can't beat that ever in life," Natt said.

Zep freaks

Cromer and Natt met as young, competitive swimmers. The first time Cromer saw Natt, he was playing his guitar outside a meet. He was playing some Led Zeppelin, and Cromer decided he wanted to learn to play guitar, too.

So, when they weren't swimming, they were playing Led Zep and other rock bands' songs on their guitars. So as soon as the band announced its reunion show, of course they would try to go.

Cromer entered the ticket lottery in September, on Led Zeppelin's Web site. In October, he learned that he had won. He called Natt, and the plans were set. They hit their only snag when guitarist Jimmy Page broke a finger, causing a two-week delay in the show. It was rescheduled for Dec. 10.

After getting their tickets -- standing, floor level, about 30 yards from the stage -- they went off to explore the massive O2 complex. Everywhere they encountered "O2 Angels," women with wild outfits and small sets of angel wings on their backs, who were there to tell people where to go and what to do at O2. One of them handed Cromer a flyer, advertising a sim-chip, which one could hook up to an English cellphone to get access to The O2 network.

Turns out that Cromer, who had spent the summer of 2005 in London for law school, still had his UK phone. He bought the chip, which put him in another lottery for VIP lounge access. Cromer said at least 100 other people entered in that contest.

Of course, they won. Thousands of people had waited in line for more than a day to get regular seats. Cromer and Natt, who had arrived only hours before, would spend their pre-show wait in high style.

After the show -- which they said was amazing -- it was back to the lounge. In a large foyer outside, rock stars from other lounges wandered about.

"We were seeing rock legend after rock legend," Cromer said. "It's like it was just commonplace. They were just walking around, talking to each other and talking to people."

Afterward, "Zack said, 'I don't know how we'll ever be able to do something so great again,' " Natt said. "I said, 'Who knows, maybe we'll meet Jimmy Page or something.' "

Golden God in the park

The day after the show, Cromer took Natt for some sightseeing along Steeles Road, where Cromer had lived in summer 2005. On one side of the road is Primrose Hill Park. As they stood talking, a figure emerged from the shadows, walking toward them on the sidewalk bordering the park, Natt said. As he drew closer, they realized that it was Plant, walking alone, talking on his cellphone. They gestured to him. Plant held up his finger, as if to ask for a moment.

"He said to the person on the phone, 'I've got to go. I've got some people,' " Cromer said.

They said that Plant spent the next five minutes talking to them, asking them their thoughts about the show.

"He was just very humble, and very gracious, and very down to earth," Cromer said.

And he had a good sense of humor. Natt and Cromer mentioned to him that they had really enjoyed John Paul Jones' keyboard solo on "No Quarter."

"He said the solo was good, but the dry ice was working on only one side of the stage, and he felt like he was in 'Spinal Tap,' " Natt said, referencing the classic mockumentary about an English rock band.

They asked him the question any good Led Zeppelin fan would ask: Would the band play more?

"He said, 'The Golden Gods are done,' " Natt said. "Then he asked us if we had heard his record with Alison Krauss."

They had been listening to it the night before, they said, and liked it. He told them that he really enjoyed making the record, and they would probably be touring near Natt and Cromer.

Natt will definitely be there, and Cromer will be pushing it to get out of work and get to Roanoke from Alexandria in time for the show on Monday, they said.

Neither expects the run of incredible fortune they encountered late last year.

"It's like one of the greatest experiences ever," Natt said.

They asked him the question any good Led Zeppelin fan would ask: Would the band play more?

"He said, 'The Golden Gods are done,' " Natt said. "Then he asked us if we had heard his record with Alison Krauss."

I think this really explains his present position - Led Zeppelin was amazing, it is a part of his past about which he is very proud, but he is enthusiastically moving on as an artist to new projects.

Does this mean there will never ever be another Zeppelin show? No. If the stars align correctly and there is a good reason to play again, I'm sure he would. But in his mind at the present he has moved on and isn't looking back.

I also think that answer is a standard one. Does anyone think he would say, "Well, I think we might still go on tour".

If he said they were not done and then never followed through, that would be remembered as a negative. But if he says they are done and then we still see more...

Well, who is going to complain about that?

I think people just need to let these guys do what they want to do.

Two extremely lucky blokes get to see an amazing performance and gig of a lifetime. The next day they meet Robert, and ask THE QUESTION. He brushes it off, and then wants to talk about Raising Sand a day after the gig? Only a few hours earlier, he and his mates proved to the world that after 28 years on the sidelines that they were, and still are the best band in the world anytime they take the stage. I almost feel sorry for the tall cool one, he puts the critics to shame with an out of this world performance, then tries to downplay it and quickly put it in the past. It's as if he is trapped in the greatness of Zeppelin. His projects with SS and Raising Sand are very solid with excellent musicians, but lack the "magic" of JPJ, Jimmy, and Bonham Jr. when Zeppelin take the stage. Here's hoping Robert the musician may one day stop running from and embrace the brilliance that is right in fron of him. B)

Nice story...

I also think that answer is a standard one. Does anyone think he would say, "Well, I think we might still go on tour".

If he said they were not done and then never followed through, that would be remembered as a negative. But if he says they are done and then we still see more...

Well, who is going to complain about that?

I think people just need to let these guys do what they want to do.

Agree. I think that people need to live their own lives. What happened with all the talk about the Tour was that became obsession, and that does not lead to any side.

"Lives now... what good comes alone".

Two extremely lucky blokes get to see an amazing performance and gig of a lifetime. The next day they meet Robert, and ask THE QUESTION. He brushes it off, and then wants to talk about Raising Sand a day after the gig? Only a few hours earlier, he and his mates proved to the world that after 28 years on the sidelines that they were, and still are the best band in the world anytime they take the stage. I almost feel sorry for the tall cool one, he puts the critics to shame with an out of this world performance, then tries to downplay it and quickly put it in the past. It's as if he is trapped in the greatness of Zeppelin. His projects with SS and Raising Sand are very solid with excellent musicians, but lack the "magic" of JPJ, Jimmy, and Bonham Jr. when Zeppelin take the stage. Here's hoping Robert the musician may one day stop running from and embrace the brilliance that is right in fron of him. B)

I'm so disappointed in what I have been reading regarding Plant's attitude towards more Zeppelin concerts. I'm not going to type anything bad but I'm sure thinking it, and I doubt I'll buy anymore of his solos albums as a protest of sorts

I'm so disappointed in what I have been reading regarding Plant's attitude towards more Zeppelin concerts. I'm not going to type anything bad but I'm sure thinking it, and I doubt I'll buy anymore of his solos albums as a protest of sorts

In time some artists do realize their fanbase has failed to follow and change course.

With regard to Robert Plant, as this encounter shows, I wouldn't count on a reversal

anytime soon.

Archived