Best song ever live...

LedZep1969

I do not know the name of the group that first wrote "As Long As I Have You", I have heard it said before, but do not recall it. The show is from April 27, 1969. I have other versions, but it is just so raw and Pagey's guitar is so powerful!!

Thanks for the info. My source for Boots sold me a whole box of his X-tra tapes, years ago, plus some of his best complete concerts, and some samples. I have something from every era on cassette, but now I'm trying to get the best stuff I can on C.D. He has also had most of his stuff transferred to Digital, so it's just a matter of time. Oh, by the way, 4-27 is also the copy I have. I have 4-26 and 4-27, but jsut partial shows on cassette. Heavy stuff! How 'bout Lemon song!

As Long As I Have You was written by Garrett Mims(sp?)

But they also added Fresh Garbage in it which is a Spirit song.

I can never make out all the cover names when they start...But

is my favorite. At the start of the video I think its fresh garbage ..maybe :blink: or Mockingbird.....

For me, the 4/24 and 4/27 performances of As Long as I Have You are the essence of early Zeppelin. Raw power. B)

How Many More Times from the 27th is pretty hot aswell, I love all those extended psychedelic blues/funk jam sections in the middle that we didnt hear in latter versions. That might actually be my overall pick for best live track as the versions from the first half of 1970 were incredible aswell mixing everything that was good about the band at the time(prog blues, funk, rock medleys).

One I'm supprized isnt mentioned more(or put on many offical releases) is Thank You, the studio version is nice enough but that track became a masterpeice live IMHO with one of Page's greatest most intense solos and an amazing end to bring the curtain down on speical concerts. JPJ's organ solos could be a bit hit and miss(I don't think so of that weird stuff from late 70 worked very well) I spose but when he stuck to gospel or went into those 72 medleys it was really fun aswell.

My version of How Many More Times from SF (4/27/69) cuts off just as Robert is about to wail - "got you in the sights of my......loooooovvvvvvvveeeeeee". Which sucks because it is a very raw/hot version of the song.

As far as Thank You goes, it was GREAT some nights - Orlando '71 version comes to mind.

Celebration Day is a great one that cooked the few tours they played it!!

Eye Thank Ewe!

How Many More Times from the 27th is pretty hot aswell, I love all those extended psychedelic blues/funk jam sections in the middle that we didnt hear in latter versions. That might actually be my overall pick for best live track as the versions from the first half of 1970 were incredible aswell mixing everything that was good about the band at the time(prog blues, funk, rock medleys).

One I'm supprized isnt mentioned more(or put on many offical releases) is Thank You, the studio version is nice enough but that track became a masterpeice live IMHO with one of Page's greatest most intense solos and an amazing end to bring the curtain down on speical concerts. JPJ's organ solos could be a bit hit and miss(I don't think so of that weird stuff from late 70 worked very well) I spose but when he stuck to gospel or went into those 72 medleys it was really fun aswell.

I agree alot with what you said...

Its a toss up for me from the 1969 Fillmore shows between I Can't Quit You, How Many More Times, or As Long As I Have You... all of them are killer and have a much larger sense of psychedelia that I like alot.

Thank You from Apr. 1, 1971 (BBC Sessions) is one of the best things I've ever heard.

A must listen: Since I've Been Loving You | Sept. 4, 1970 (Blueberry Hill)... theres just... its... Robert... I feel like... um.. meh, I give up theres just no way to explain it. Just fuckin listen to it on a huge stereo and thank me later (get high too.., I mean, if you do that sort of thing)

A must listen: Since I've Been Loving You | Sept. 4, 1970 (Blueberry Hill)... theres just... its... Robert... I feel like... um.. meh, I give up theres just no way to explain it. Just fuckin listen to it on a huge stereo and thank me later (get high too.., I mean, if you do that sort of thing)

I will have to do this, Im sure Ive heard it as ive listened to that show all the way through, but probably not in the proper condition. I have trouble getting into non Soundboard SIBLY's, I consider TSRTS and HTWWW the best two.

I will have to do this, Im sure Ive heard it as ive listened to that show all the way through, but probably not in the proper condition. I have trouble getting into non Soundboard SIBLY's, I consider TSRTS and HTWWW the best two.

Those two are the best, but those and the Blueberry Hill gig are two totally different styles... this one's alot more dark and less put together, but it's pretty good for being an early version - Page's solo isn't as fast or as long, but its a whole helluv'a lot more raw and grungy, and Plant uses alternate lyrics, not to mention he just can't scream like this in 72 and 73.

I'm sort of partial to the real early years.. I agree they're better all around in the later years, but I love the raw and un-kepmt, less rehearsed and less perfect Zeppelin of the 1968-1971 era.

• 3 weeks later...

dazed and confused Royal Albert Hall 1970

whole lotta love Royal Albert Hall 1970

stairway to heaven Earl's court 1975

no quarter MSG 1973

I can't quit you baby Royal Albert Hall 1970

and i must add Babe i'm gonna leave you 1969 denmark TV performance

I agree alot with what you said...

Its a toss up for me from the 1969 Fillmore shows between I Can't Quit You, How Many More Times, or As Long As I Have You... all of them are killer and have a much larger sense of psychedelia that I like alot.

Thank You from Apr. 1, 1971 (BBC Sessions) is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Page's guitar tone on that second US 69 tour is just incredible, psychedelic but also crushly heavy.

I'd recommend the versions of Thank You from Orlando 71 and MSG 73 if you've not heard them, same style as the 71 BBC recording but much heavier and more intense.

A song a lot of you seem to be forgetting is The Ocean. I don't really like the studio version but the live one is great!

So that's my favorite, I like No Quarter, Kashmir and Immigrant Song live too.

A song a lot of you seem to be forgetting is The Ocean. I don't really like the studio version but the live one is great!

So that's my favorite, I like No Quarter, Kashmir and Immigrant Song live too.

Yeah TSRTS (also DVD) is where's it is at. The Ocean wasnt that high on my list either until I saw it live, sounds so much better for one, but also the way jimmy moved and pointed his hand to bonzo after each riff.

The best live song ever is'nt even an LZ song. It is (imho) Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix from Band of Gypsys, in fact i would say that it's the greatest perfomance ever put to recording tape. ever, ever, ever.........Period.

This is really hard to pick. I would probably have to use different categories

For Bonzo I think his (besides moby dick) best song to show his power is TSRTS from listen to this eddie

But for the band as a whole i would pick Kashmir, No quarter, and the whole lotta love medleys from 71-72 and also bring it on home because of the call and response jimmy does with robert, jpj and bonzo

This is really hard to pick. I would probably have to use different categories

For Bonzo I think his (besides moby dick) best song to show his power is TSRTS from listen to this eddie

But for the band as a whole i would pick Kashmir, No quarter, and the whole lotta love medleys from 71-72 and also bring it on home because of the call and response jimmy does with robert, jpj and bonzo

as long as i have you

killing floor

communication breakdown

dazed and confused

whole lotta love medley's

since ive been loving you (MSG '73 best!)

organ solo + thank you (orlando '71)

In my time of dying

trampled under foot

bring it on home

long tall sally

c'mon everybody

bron yr aur stomp

going to california

no quarter

Archived