40th anniversary

poortom

Isn't Robert still playing with the Bluegrass Queen? He might too bust to get together.

Yes, he is still "playing"with Alison and he's pissing off a lot of people lately .(a)blocking sunsets with a boat.(b)rejecting his old band mates the chance to tour.©Even "THE WHO" are on hold with doing something NEW because there waiting for T-bone Burnett to finish with Robert.

Yes, he is still "playing"with Alison and he's pissing off a lot of people lately .(a)blocking sunsets with a boat.(b)rejecting his old band mates the chance to tour.©Even "THE WHO" are on hold with doing something NEW because there waiting for T-bone Burnett to finish with Robert.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

just one question. is it October 15 or 25, 1968? (the date they played the first gig as Led Zepp @ Surrey University)

edit: misunderstanding

October 25th was their first live gig under the name of Led Zeppelin, Sept 7th 1968 their first gig as The Yardbirds.

You almost got it right. It was the New Yardbirds. If you want to be completely specific.

They were never billed as The New yardbirds, only ever as The Yardbirds, the media or press called them the new yardbirds but not them !!

Thank you! But they also played at Surrey October 15th 1968 as The Yardbirds, right?

They didn't play a gig on that day you say, Ithey only played Surrey University in Guildford once in that year :)

Very interesting. Never knew that. Thanks for the info. My mistake then.

I use to think that for years too, although someone might know more, but I am sure thats the case :)

They were never billed as The New yardbirds, only ever as The Yardbirds, the media or press called them the new yardbirds but not them !!

I've been a fan of the band for over twenty years, and I've read countless stories about them, but that's the first I've ever heard that. I wonder if there are any marques floating around out there with "The Yardbirds" on them with Plant, Jones, or Bonham's name or picture on them. That would be a collectible!

I've been a fan of the band for over twenty years, and I've read countless stories about them, but that's the first I've ever heard that. I wonder if there are any marques floating around out there with "The Yardbirds" on them with Plant, Jones, or Bonham's name or picture on them. That would be a collectible!

Those would be worth a good chunk of change. Especially to people like us on this forum.

So this is wrong? http://www.argenteumastrum.com/1968.htm

and thanks for answering my questions, leddy and SuperDave :)

WEll as far as I know there isn't a poster to advertise gigs as The New Yardbirds Only The yardbirds.. I could be wrong but I like to be right :)...There are a few others who know a bit about them too on here and hopefully they can back me up ?? IF I am wrong I will hold my hands up :)

WEll as far as I know there isn't a poster to advertise gigs as The New Yardbirds Only The yardbirds.. I could be wrong but I like to be right :)

Yeah, I understood about the New Yardbirds thing. I asked if that site was wrong because you said they didn't played at Surrey University twice that year, but it's written here...

OCTOBER 4 - MAYFAIR BALLROOM, NEWCASTLE, ENGLAND (FRIDAY, START AT 8pm)

Billed as The Yardbirds. Support from Terry Reid's Fantasia, Junco Partners, and Downtown Fraction.

OCTOBER 15 - SURREY UNIVERSITY HALLS, GUILDFORD SURREY, ENGLAND (TUESDAY)

Billed as The Yardbirds.

OCTOBER 18 - MARQUEE CLUB, LONDON, ENGLAND (FRIDAY)

Billed as The Yardbirds. Support from Sleepy.

OCTOBER 19 - LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY, LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND (SATURDAY)

Billed as The Yardbirds. mentioned that this will be the last appearance of the band as "The Yardbirds" and that they will be known as "Led Zeppelin" from Sunday, 10/20/68 on.

OCTOBER 25 - SURREY UNIVERSITY HALLS, GUILDFORD SURREY, ENGLAND (FRIDAY 7:30pm)

Billed as The New Yardbirds. Led Zeppelin debut. Despite the "New Yardbirds" poster, all media references to this gig list the band as "Led Zeppelin".

[...]

that's why I asked. :)

I have no idea, But I would say Steve A Jones would be able to clarify !!

It's considered "real" beyond a reasonable doubt as it was auctioned off a few years back by the estate of a gentleman who was directly involved in the music industry

for decades. I was very skeptical at the time, given it's bombshell effect on history,

of it's authenticity. The one question which remains is was the poster (or copies, if

made) actually used to promote the gig or merely a mock-up. Most enthusiasts are

not inclined to split hairs to that degree, and accept it at face value for what it is.

It's considered "real" beyond a reasonable doubt as it was auctioned off a few years back by the estate of a gentleman who was directly involved in the music industry

for decades. I was very skeptical at the time, given it's bombshell effect on history,

of it's authenticity. The one question which remains is was the poster (or copies, if

made) actually used to promote the gig or merely a mock-up. Most enthusiasts are

not inclined to split hairs to that degree, and accept it at face value for what it is.

Your friend Greg Russo claims in his book that it's a forgery.

Meg

Your friend Greg Russo claims in his book that it's a forgery.

Meg

I seem to recall this poster surfaced just before the third edition was published. He may have been similarly blindsided by its discovery at the time. The fourth edition of his book is imminent and it will be interesting to see if a more refined viewpoint is offered in it.

It seems they were billed as both the the Yardbirds AND the New Yardbirds...

170px-Scandinavia68.jpg

170px-UK68.jpg

Oh, and don't forget the time they were billed as "Len Zefflin" lol... word has it the event director mis-heard the name on the phone and printed it wrong:

spokane68-ad.jpg

Archived