Palin or Biden

Rock N' Rollin' Man

Who do you think is the better of the two?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who would be the better Vice President candidate?

• Sarah Palin
    • Joe Biden

Moderate conservatives are still pissed that McCain didn't choose Biden as his VP nominee, a ticket that would have been very hard to beat.

Instead they got Palin, a laughable choice of a running mate. It's fun watching and hearing people explain why she'd be a good VP and possible President. Cause she does have all that experience as a tv news caster...4 years ago.

No, I'm not. I'm thinking of diplomacy and cultural differences, protocols etc. and wondering how she would be perceived (she actually said you guys and doggone it during the debate for instance).

Oh, so foreign leaders would be offended by the way she speaks English.

How many foreign leaders speak English anyways? You think they care how she sounds? Chances are, they don't speak it correctly either :rolleyes:

Why is "you guys" and "doggone it" so bad?

And would you consider him middle class?

Joe comes from a middle class upbringing. He still visits his two best friends growing up who reside in Scranton. He worked hard and is now more "upper" middle class, but that doesn't change his deep seeded roots or the rest of his family. Joe "doesn't" own 12 (or however many it turned out to be) mansions. If you haven't noticed that Joe Biden is for the "average" American you haven't noticed much. Doggone it!

what is wrong with doggone it and shucks and golly gee? nothing, it's quite funny actually. reminds me of George the Stupid.

Biden isn't middle class like my family is middle class, no. But he takes Amtrak from Delaware to Washington everyday, he's worth less than $1,000,000 and has no outside income. He's a hell of a lot closer to the "middle class" than John McCain.

Consider this. A President makes $400,000 a year (I think, don't have time to check). But for someone to live like the President it would cost them around $2 billion a year. Now, I'm not saying Congressman live anything like that. But you don't thinkhe gets added benefits and his lifestyle isn't well above those of the middle class?

I was also offended at the tone she used to speak to America. Like we're all a bunch of idiots...

Not very fitting of a person running for the office of the VP.

One of my friends hears she's been coached to deliberately mispronounce Nookyooler and to enunciate the way she does, because she is trying to appeal to Midwesterners :blink: Which would be really offensive if that is indeed true; particularly to Midwesterners. Deliberately dumbing down her speaking style to try to get votes insults and stereotypes the voters she is trying to attract.

I'm a Midwesterner and we can pronounce nuclear correctly.

Consider this. A President makes $400,000 a year (I think, don't have time to check). But for someone to live like the President it would cost them around $2 billion a year. Now, I'm not saying Congressman live anything like that. But you don't thinkhe gets added benefits and his lifestyle isn't well above those of the middle class?

I didn't say he was middle class. I said he's closer to middle class than John McCain is, so it doesn't appear as much of a stretch for him to say he can understand them or that he wants to appeal to them. For Congressman and other such types, he's on the low-end of the income scale.

What many of us here at work today, Democrats and Republicans alike, are wondering is how in the world you get away with going to a 'debate' and stating right off the bat "I'm not gonna answer questions the way you want me to, I'm going to talk to the American public"

If that was her intent she should have made a public service announcement. She agreed to speak in a debate forum and then at the last minute dismissed the entire format. At tht point the moderator should have said "Mrs. Biden, we are conducting a debate here. Debate guidelines mandate that the moderator asks a question and the candidates answer the question. If you don't want to participate in this capacity you are free to leave"

If my boss comes to me and says, "You know that critical production issue we had this morning? Did we ever get to the root cause of that?" and I say, "Ah shucks, I want to talk about my review and reiterate all of the contributions I've made to the firm over the last year" DOES THAT WASH!?

Doesn't wash in any sector I'm aware of, I don't know how a VP candidate was able to pull that off. I find it appalling really.

I'm a Midwesterner and we can pronounce nuclear correctly.

The only people I've heard mispronounce it are her and Bush. I think her "people" misinformed her. No offense meant; I don't share that belief but do find it troubling that her handlers apparently do. :(

Oh, so foreign leaders would be offended by the way she speaks English.

How many foreign leaders speak English anyways? You think they care how she sounds? Chances are, they don't speak it correctly either :rolleyes:

Why is "you guys" and "doggone it" so bad?

It isn't in and of itself, but like most things, they're context appropriate. We all have roles we play, that's not a means of deception (though it can be - depends on the intent), but of social wisdom. So the way one speaks with their friends, complete with swearing, slang, and local inflections, is different when we are in front of the classroom, in the boardroom, or in front of an internationally televised debate for convincing people that you are a capable candidate for VP. How you speak says a lot about you, and if you can't alter it to suit the given situation you're dead in the water. The words you use and how you use them speak volumes about you. "You guys" and "doggone" is good for the BBQ, not for a position of such national and international importance.

What many of us here at work today, Democrats and Republicans alike, are wondering is how in the world you get away with going to a 'debate' and stating right off the bat "I'm not gonna answer questions the way you want me to, I'm going to talk to the American public"

If that was her intent she should have made a public service announcement. She agreed to speak in a debate forum and then at the last minute dismissed the entire format. At tht point the moderator should have said "Mrs. Biden, we are conducting a debate here. Debate guidelines mandate that the moderator asks a question and the candidates answer the question. If you don't want to participate in this capacity you are free to leave"

If my boss comes to me and says, "You know that critical production issue we had this morning? Did we ever get to the root cause of that?" and I say, "Ah shucks, I want to talk about my review and reiterate all of the contributions I've made to the firm over the last year" DOES THAT WASH!?

Doesn't wash in any sector I'm aware of, I don't know how a VP candidate was able to pull that off. I find it appalling really.

i think your right about that.

i saw this writer from -the washington post on tv, he said that -mccain is 72 yrs old and that there is a statistcal chance of 1 in 5 that -palin then becomes president. he basically cried for mccain to choose another vp at this point. there is no way -sarah palin should be there. if -mccain is know for impulsive decisions...which he has proved over the economic troubles. then there you go....its not a good thing.

Archived