Favorite version of Listen to this Eddie

• 3 months later...

No question it's Winston's version. Made from clean 1st generation tapes made from Millard's master.

Best of all, Winston offered two versions: the raw/unaltered transfer of the tapes, and the remaster that he did with "Ten Years Gone" patched from the alternate source of the show.

Oh yeah, and his versions are FREE.

No doubt about it. Winston Remasters.

No question it's Winston's version. Made from clean 1st generation tapes made from Millard's master.

Best of all, Winston offered two versions: the raw/unaltered transfer of the tapes, and the remaster that he did with "Ten Years Gone" patched from the alternate source of the show.

Oh yeah, and his versions are FREE.

No doubt about it. Winston Remasters.

Hells yeah. I would actually take the sound and atmosphere of this and apply it to every show over a SBD every day. All of Millard's tapes are incredible (just finished listening to 6/25/77 LA) but 6/21/77 is simply stunning...and the Winston Remaster is unreal...

• 1 month later...

Hmmmm, all this raving about the Winston Remasters has me wondering...

My history of "Listen to this Eddie" is as follows:

First, I got a 3rd or 4th gen cassette copy back in high school from a friend.

Then, I got the vinyl double album from the TMoQ label that only had the show

from TSRTS to TYG.

My first cd copy was the Silver Rarities Master Series 3cd set.

Then, around 2004 I got the Genuine Masters 2DVD-A "Watch and Listen to This

Eddie" and was so blown away by the sound I thought that was it...I would not

need another version of "Listen to This Eddie" as long as I lived unless Jimmy

decided to put out an official release of the June 21, 1977 gig.

Ahhh, but just last year I could not resist the clarion call of "LTTE" and while

looking to plug in holes in my collection, came across Empress Valley's set

of the whole week of Zeppelin's 1977 LA Forum shows.

Of the 5 Forum concerts I saw, only the June 25 and 26 were still missing

from my collection, so I got those, and figured what the hell, one more

"LTTE" couldn't hurt.

But now I am reading all this buzz about these Winston Remasters and I just

want to know if it is really THAT much of a sound upgrade from what I already

have?

Yes, definitely Winston.

Before that version, all the ones before it used "compromised" copies of Millard's tape. Dropouts, small cuts, markings, etc. Winston's was the first to feature the Millard recording from a clean source. If you're a casual listener, you may not have noticed. Even the "worst" bootleg of this show still sounds awesome. That being said, with the Winston Remaster you get to hear the recording in it's most natural state if you get the "Unaltered" version, and also get to hear the "Remastered" version, with the cut in Ten Years Gone filled in with an alternate source for the show.

In comparison, the Empress Valley "Xmas" edition has a lot of the high end rolled off and doesn't sound nearly as bright, imo. Again, it still sounds great. But I still think that has more to do with the fact that Millard's recording was awesome.

I gotta say that im not a huge fan of the WR version. there seems to be too much treble for my ears. I have to stand by Zepmaster's version because if you listen to ten years gone from the show, the entire song sounds great in quality. The GM version only sounds that good when it gets the part after the middle solo.

I also feel that zepmaster's version sounds more "real", if that makes any sense. It is incredibly clear and feels like your there with your eyes closed.

Yes, definitely Winston.

Before that version, all the ones before it used "compromised" copies of Millard's tape. Dropouts, small cuts, markings, etc. Winston's was the first to feature the Millard recording from a clean source. If you're a casual listener, you may not have noticed. Even the "worst" bootleg of this show still sounds awesome. That being said, with the Winston Remaster you get to hear the recording in it's most natural state if you get the "Unaltered" version, and also get to hear the "Remastered" version, with the cut in Ten Years Gone filled in with an alternate source for the show.

IIRC the story behind Winston's version is brilliant: he by fluke stumbled across 1st generation tapes from the dude who sold Millard his blanks- apparently the guy and Mike the Mike worked out a deal where MTM got free blank tapes in exchange for copies of his shows. Good deal, eh?

But I think the fact that Page himself used "TSRTS" from this recording on the DVD says it all...wonder how many different versions Jimmy has? :D From what I undertstand Winston has 'retired' but maybe Page and Shirley could bring him out of retirement..."Here, Andy, here's the archives- go nuts!"

• 3 months later...

I just wondered if anyone else noticed the differences in sounds in TYG in GM's version. The sound quality starts off amazing just like the ZepMaster version but then before the 1st guitar solo GM decided to use poorer quality audio.

I guess my question is does the Mike The Mike (Winston) version have the same drop in sound?

I assume it doesn't and I'm thinking i need to get that version. I've heard snippets of that version and wow its just so nice on the ears.

I would say SIRA, Winston, or Zepmaster.

Zep_apprentice is a hack. Here's his own feedback on his remaster:

no i remastered 1977-06-21, i dont admit its a winston quality remaster, but its one of my first few

I like GM's disc 1 and WR's disc 2 & 3. The 1st gen unaltered is a nice change up from time to time as well.

IIRC the story behind Winston's version is brilliant: he by fluke stumbled across 1st generation tapes from the dude who sold Millard his blanks- apparently the guy and Mike the Mike worked out a deal where MTM got free blank tapes in exchange for copies of his shows. Good deal, eh?

But I think the fact that Page himself used "TSRTS" from this recording on the DVD says it all...wonder how many different versions Jimmy has? :D From what I undertstand Winston has 'retired' but maybe Page and Shirley could bring him out of retirement..."Here, Andy, here's the archives- go nuts!"

Winston's remasters are all top-notch, but his Eddie is his finest hour...

Zep_apprentice is a hack. Here's his own feedback on his remaster:

I like GM's disc 1 and WR's disc 2 & 3. The 1st gen unaltered is a nice change up from time to time as well.

LOL, I'll take your word for it, you know your stuff. I thought his version sounded pretty good but I admit I only listened to it once or twice and that was a while ago . When i want to listen to that show, its usually the SIRA version that gets played.

Does Eddie sound better than Badgeholders? I just did some comparing and it seems I had to turn Badgeholders up louder than Eddie and it still wasnt as clear of an audience recording. Is this normal or could I not have the best source of Badgeholders?

I was watching a Soundstage production of Robert and the Strange Sensation. And I was reminded of this thread , when Percy blurted out " Can you hear this Eddie?" . I knew I wasn't going mad. It's nice to see this thread was resurectected just in time.

861587910_fabfd9c0c1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived